Third Party Press

RESEARCH PROJECT - Gew.91 production

1891 VCS 4029b 4.A.F.1.33 (S) . (Z) (nm)

FS has just the imperial marking with 29...the band on the forend has the unit marking. The butt plate maybe an imperial marking. Can't make anything else on it...looks like 100 year old blood on it with an old finger print in it and maybe a hair.

What is the serial number? Any other features that we track (record) on the first page list?

Last edited:
It is missing the part that holds the bolt from coming all the way out...does anyone have a replacement for it? I think is supposed to be in the white...I am sure it's supposed to marked with a 29.

Also, I don't see any ghost marks at all.

Last edited:
Gewehr 91 - V C Schilling Suhl 1890

Not my Karabiner, but I don't think the owner will mind me posting a few pictures. Gewehr 91, receiver marked Kar 88. Forgot to get a picture of the siderail, or of the whole thing.

Attachments

• IMG_8024.jpg
    IMG_8024.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8025.jpg
    IMG_8025.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8026.jpg
    IMG_8026.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8027.jpg
    IMG_8027.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8028.jpg
    IMG_8028.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8029.jpg
    IMG_8029.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for the two reports, I added them and adjusted the database a little, mostly for clarity. That is a nice VCS/90 Cyrus, like the unit marking too!

I do not have a bolt release for you VR, but hopefully someone can point you to a lead. I do not own one of these, but several do. I am not sure of the interchangeability of parts, but I would think a K88 would work equally well. Might consider what use to be a pastime for many, buying old junkers and parting them out. What you do not need can be resold to recoup the expense. It use to be profitable, and with these being antiques, there is a lot less paperwork and fees. There is demand for these old rifle parts, but of course the trick is finding junkers cheap with good parts. Easier with M98's, but with them you have to either keep a ffl and records or pay ffl transfer fees.

I posted this earlier, probably slipped through because is not in the list

Erfurt 1893, serial 3523g, S with dot marked, "Kar.88. nm" marked, nosecap has "B.1.T.E.3.28."

Got it this time! Thanks for the reminder.

I posted this earlier, probably slipped through because is not in the list

Erfurt 1893, serial 3523g, S with dot marked, "Kar.88. nm" marked, nosecap has "B.1.T.E.3.28."

Thanks Loewe...mine should be RB. The unit marking are on the front sling band. I think that's called the RB?

Thanks for the two reports, I added them and adjusted the database a little, mostly for clarity. That is a nice VCS/90 Cyrus, like the unit marking too!

I do not have a bolt release for you VR, but hopefully someone can point you to a lead. I do not own one of these, but several do. I am not sure of the interchangeability of parts, but I would think a K88 would work equally well. Might consider what use to be a pastime for many, buying old junkers and parting them out. What you do not need can be resold to recoup the expense. It use to be profitable, and with these being antiques, there is a lot less paperwork and fees. There is demand for these old rifle parts, but of course the trick is finding junkers cheap with good parts. Easier with M98's, but with them you have to either keep a ffl and records or pay ffl transfer fees.

FB is the nose cap, might have been better to use that (NC), but that will take time to change and i have already spent significant time on adjustments today. Maybe later. RB is the sling band (SB), but when this started it was a piecemeal affair. Like most of these studies they need to evolve over time, - in time I will adjust the trend page to reflect this correction (this is normal, all my trend sheets I do offline evolve overtime, adding or subtracting characteristics kept as it progresses and you get a feel for what is important. Normally this is done in stages, new reports with the new features and the old updated as time permits... to do it all at one would be too time consuming with multiple projects underway)

Thanks Loewe...mine should be RB. The unit marking are on the front sling band. I think that's called the RB?

Thanks Toulon, I added the location to the listing. I also took the time to change NC= Nose cap and SB=sling band. Hopefully this will improve/simplify the reporting.

I would like to add an 1895 Erfurt. It is all matching 2825 A and is "S" marked and "dot" marked on the receiver, alongside Gew 91 nm.

It is in MINT condition, but sadly the stacking rod was apparently lost and replaced by a K98AZ stacking rod.

One more for you - 1891 CG Haenel Suhl. Serial 2612. Two assignments L.3.34.8 (crossed out) on front sight and 4.AFE.3 (also crossed out) on front band. Receiver has U.346.GEW91. If anyone can provide details on the units would be much appreciated.

1896 Erfurt 1462 a, nm, s patrone, punch marked reciever, unit marking on nose cap 1 F.A.F 5.79

1891/V.C.Schilling Suhl/1844h/8.A.F.H.1.37.
I can't read what the unit mark is on the lower barrel band.

Attachments

• 2017-03-12 17.27.36.jpg
    2017-03-12 17.27.36.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 12

Military Rifle Journal
Back