Third Party Press

GEW98 SS Rework

BostonMark

Hi guys!

I've posted in other areas of this great forum and only own 2 of these rifles. One is a "dipped" common Russian rework that is import marked I use as a "shooter" and this gun which I bought from a vet who lived next door to my parents since the 70's.

He sold the rifle to me with a set of death head binoculars in the early 90's while I was visiting my folks. He didn't talk about the war but said he picked them up when his unit liberated a camp.

I never got intel on where he served or what camp because I wanted a nice 8mm Mauser to shoot. My parents moved soon after I bought the rifle and the vet has been gone for a long time.

I "sinned" by shooting the rifle for a few years and then realized it was something special.

So, here are the photos ... I have no idea as to how authentic it is only having seen this type 1 variation in Richard Law's book.

Please let me know what the experts on this forum think.

I've posted plenty of photos for you guys to look at. The bolt is mismatched which I think is correct for this rifle?

Any comments are welcome!

THANKS!

Mark

Attachments

• FullRifleLeftPost.jpg
    FullRifleLeftPost.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 302
  • FullRifleRightPost.jpg
    FullRifleRightPost.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 273
  • LeftButtPost.jpg
    LeftButtPost.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 267
  • RightButtPost.jpg
    RightButtPost.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 268
  • GEW98post.jpg
    GEW98post.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 224
  • BProofPost.jpg
    BProofPost.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 224
  • TestProofpost.jpg
    TestProofpost.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 250
  • BoltSerialpost.jpg
    BoltSerialpost.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Binocpost.jpg
    Binocpost.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 250
  • binc1post.jpg
    binc1post.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 249
  • StockCutOutpost.jpg
    StockCutOutpost.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 243
  • DeathHeadpost.jpg
    DeathHeadpost.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
SS

Mine is a bolt mismatch and it is double rework like yours. Some are not bolt mismatches. Does your rifle have a death head on the stock? Also, there is crown N on the barrel that is hidden by the stock. Could you post a photo of that? Do the other serial numbers match? Thanks for posting.

Brian

Thanks for the response! I kinda figured the gun was OK since it came from the vet.

Here is a photo of the markings under the barrel. I figure 12.39 is the rework date?

I discovered the under side of the stock has a matched number to the barrel, the outside number is different. The hand guard on the stock has a death head but it is very worn, the rifle has seen use. The bolt is completely mismatched including the small parts and the cover for the spring and follower have two different numbers. Everything else matched including the screws.

The inside of the stock also has some "bedding" on it, is this common?

Can anyone tell me a value for my database? I keep records of the value for all the guns in my collection in case I go to the big gun show in the sky before my time. I'd like to leave documentation for my wife or daughter if I die so they get a fair price for my guns. Anyone collect binoculars? Is the SS leather worth a premium?

IT IS NOT FOR SALE!

Perhaps in another 15 years when I sell everything for my retirement fund and I'm going to keep the binoculars and rifle together ...

You can't take it with you to the nursing home ;)

Mark

Attachments

• UnderBarrel.jpg
    UnderBarrel.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Thanks!

I guess cutting the vets lawn a few times and chatting with him got me a nice rifle back in the day ..

Not much more to contribute for K98's, rifles take up too much space in my collection area.

I have a few "mum" Jap guns but that is it for collectable rifles. No Garrands or M1's. I have a wartime "Tommy gun" on a form 4 with all Russian "lend lease" parts for shooting, the numbered and original parts are "safe" along with my MP 40. It is a vet bring back on a form 4 original with mismatched parts for shooting her as well. You can't break the receivers on these guns but can break an original part ... and they are very FUN to shoot!

Mark

Attachments

• shooters.jpg
    shooters.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
SS

Mark,

Thanks for posting. I have not seen a death head stamped on the hand guard before. That is interesting.

Brian

great looking rifle and bino case ! Do you have the binos as well ? Id love to see them. I collect them and I saw a case exactly like that on ebay once and didn't jump on it. Bad choice on my part. I assume they are Ruka 6x30's ?

Last edited:
Very Nice , I specially like the Scope Case . Great Items . Best Regards

Binoculars are marked

8x30 Grand Champ decigrades
BBT Krauss Paris no. 29503

I'll post photos soon but they are in not great condition, the optics are super but they are well used.

Mark

Binoculars are marked

8x30 Grand Champ decigrades
BBT Krauss Paris no. 29503

I'll post photos soon but they are in not great condition, the optics are super but they are well used.

Mark

Ok , so they aren't the correct binos for the case. The ones that should be in there are RUKA 6x30 w/ SS diesntglas on them.

Added: here is a photo of the prism plate on a set of Ruka SS dienstglas.

Attachments

• pix025187438.jpg
    pix025187438.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back