Third Party Press

dou 43 Acceptance Proof

It could have been missed ? Or the receiver not used and used post war ? I would need to see more of it to be able to give the correct answer.

A BC would help date the rifle, and usually the stock is serialed with suffix inside the channel.

So far what is seen (components - while there is variation, it usually is consistent in ranges, same sub-contractor parts, same serialing pattern) suggests it fits in the range the rifle serial suggests; other than the lacking final it fits with rifles around it in this range.

They used e/A80 top finals from beginning to end, 1942-1945, so there is no good explanation why it is missing. So far yours is the first that seems to lack the final and be original.

A BC would help date the rifle, and usually the stock is serialed with suffix inside the channel.

So far what is seen (components - while there is variation, it usually is consistent in ranges, same sub-contractor parts, same serialing pattern) suggests it fits in the range the rifle serial suggests; other than the lacking final it fits with rifles around it in this range.

They used e/A80 top finals from beginning to end, 1942-1945, so there is no good explanation why it is missing. So far yours is the first that seems to lack the final and be original.

Thanks for the assessment. I do appreciate it. I'll try to get a photo of the barrel code tonight and post it. I'll also take a closer look for the e/A80 in case it's just really worn.

I will say this, I think I have seen these with the final acceptance BETWEEN the "dou" and the "43" so look closely there, is there a hint of a marking like perhaps a very light strike?

Sir, I have to say that on the whole your posts are the most informative on this forum. I learn more every time you reply. Thank you!

I think I can almost make out the bottom of the eagle. I think it's a light strike and between the dou and the 43.
0cbd11c4f5bc3fdcd04581d46e6ef3d7.jpg

I will say this, I think I have seen these with the final acceptance BETWEEN the "dou" and the "43" so look closely there, is there a hint of a marking like perhaps a very light strike?

Thanks. I'll take a look tonight. The dot rifles have the marking there, but I haven't seen that with the dou rifles.

Thanks 03A3, - as to the location of the final, as Spencer says, the center location is typical of Brno (dot - e/63), as far as my recollection goes, I have never seen dou use this location.

Sir, I have to say that on the whole your posts are the most informative on this forum. I learn more every time you reply. Thank you!

I added the barrel code photo to the original post. It's a CL. I'll have to take more time on the receiver ring to see if I can see remnants of an e/A80.

I have seen DOU rifles with final acceptance in that spot. Perhaps some employees were transferred occasionally between the two Brno facilities... habits die hard.

The CL barrel code is right on the money for the serial block in 43.

The rifle seems to be your average stock/HG mismatch at this point, in very good shape none the less. The stock is definitely DOU, but from a late 44 rifle.

itwillis is right, the BC is right for the range, - as to dou with the final in the center, I would like to see one. Post some pictures of one or what was the serial?

There are dou/43 finished by Brno (dot), they have the e/63 in the center, but they are rare. They usually have dot barrels...

I have seen DOU rifles with final acceptance in that spot. Perhaps some employees were transferred occasionally between the two Brno facilities... habits die hard.

The CL barrel code is right on the money for the serial block in 43.

The rifle seems to be your average stock/HG mismatch at this point, in very good shape none the less. The stock is definitely DOU, but from a late 44 rifle.

So, given that the BC is correct for the serial block, the receiver is definitely not post war or an armorer's replacement, correct?

I used a 40x loupe magnifier and wasn't able to see any signs of an e/A80 above the dou. I'll continue looking at whatever is between the dou and the 43.

Also, would you say that, in general, a stock/handguard mismatch has about the same value as a bolt mismatch?

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back