Third Party Press

Prefered manufacturer

todd2433

I ask this question as a new member of the forum.
Do K98 experts/collectors feel that there is a factory that produced a superior K98 to the others? Also is it believed that the rifles produced later in the war were not as good as the earlier productions.I write this as I anxiously await the delivery of my byf 43.
Thanks for your help!

I like MO (s/42, 42, and byf) rifles. I have lots of other codes because they pop up in the right condition I look for. Just as all other countries in a crunch during a massive war, tolerance and finish decline as the ranks are filled. You've got to have your priorities, and bombers, tanks, artillery, ships, food, and fuel become number one. Finish and fit on a rifleman's rifle decline as the war drags on. All it has to do is poke a hole in the enemy at 300 meters or less. A MO rifle manufactured in late 44 won't have the same pleasing bolt action as a rifle made in the 30's. If you just want a nice rifle that would represent a WW2 German bolt action, I'd find a byf 43 or early 44 for quality. If you want true talent in manufacture (what I refer to as combination metal and wood art), go with a rifle (any manufacture) made in the 30's.

I collect by condition and not maker, so I really don't have a favorite.

Erma for me is my favorite manufacture due to their low production numbers. My favorite code by them was the AX-41 code. I owned two of those right now may be a third one day. I also like Mauser Oberndorf real well especially the early rifles but it all depends on the collector what he or she is interested in. Some K98k collectors collect by years, others a specific code, etc. Thats what makes this field so interesting every collector is different but everyone of them brings something unique to the K98k playing field.

Military Rifle Journal
Back