Third Party Press

byf 44 l block ZF-41 project

THunter

Back in March I picked up a sporterized byf 44 l block ZF-41. I always wanted a ZF-41 and kriegsmodell rifle, so when this one came up for sale I had to have it. Everything that was there was matching...and what was missing was originally unnumbered so this rifle was a perfect candidate for "restoration". The original stock was covered in a thick layer of varnish and the metal had a bunch of surface rust. The entire rifle was disassembled, the metal soaked in Kroil and carefully cleaned. The varnish was carefully removed from the original stock.

I knew finding an original kriegsmodell stock cut for a ZF-41 will be very tough and I would be looking for one for a long time so I weighed my options. I could either have a repo stock made by Lezek Foxs in Poland, fix the original or wait out for an original. I decided to email Lezek and had a kriegsmodell white glue laminated stock cut for a zf41 made by him - along with a foreend Ill use to repair the original stock at a later time. Lezek does quality work and I could not be happier with the stock. Only a few minor modifications to the stock were needed like drilling the holes for the firing pin, band screws, ejector screw, etc. I had to slightly relieve parts of the stock so the would action properly seat.

For the ZF-41 scope and mount, I had originally bought a mount thinking I could buy a scope later on but I realized I will have better luck finding a complete zf41 rig than just a scope. I was able to score a very nice later war zf41 cxn rig appropriate for it from Greg (gergnotwen). Perfect match IMO.

For parts I was able to find original stamped & drilled bands. The stamped follower was sourced from Ryan (LastHope). I made my own band screws and Im currently having a repo end cap made by Clay (flynaked). Its been coming together slowly but Im enjoying "restoring" this one and making it as correct as possible. For now im leaving the front band unfixed and holding off on drilling the front band screw hole until I receive the end cap (that way everything lines up)

Attached are the auction pictures (poor quality) followed by current pictures.

Attachments

• 334.jpg
    334.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 334_1.jpg
    334_1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 334_2.jpg
    334_2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 102
  • 334_3.jpg
    334_3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 334_4.jpg
    334_4.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 334_5.jpg
    334_5.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 334_6.jpg
    334_6.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 334_7.jpg
    334_7.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 334_8.jpg
    334_8.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 334_9.jpg
    334_9.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 334_10.jpg
    334_10.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Current progress pictures. Im still looking for a phosphated stamped floorplate marked byf and E/135 so if anybody can help with that Id appreciate it! Bore is razor sharp so this one will definitely be going to the range when its all finished!

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
You have done as very nice job on the resto . The only thing I would suggest is repair the original stock and use that on it . The repro stock is very nicely done , my Only criticisms if You really want to call it that is the ZF41 cutout on stock in the rear part is a bit to steep of a cut .

I saw this exact Rifle at auction and was thinking of bidding on it myself . The reason I did not was the rust on it I was not sure how bad it was . Apparently not that bad because it appears to have cleaned up very nicely . Best Regards .
:thumbsup:

You have done as very nice job on the resto . The only thing I would suggest is repair the original stock and use that on it . The repro stock is very nicely done , my Only criticisms if You really want to call it that is the ZF41 cutout on stock in the rear part is a bit to steep of a cut .

I saw this exact Rifle at auction and was thinking of bidding on it myself . The reason I did not was the rust on it I was not sure how bad it was . Apparently not that bad because it appears to have cleaned up very nicely . Best Regards .
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I totally agree with you on the cutout Dave. The cutout is a bit too deep and steep. I was a little bummed on that when it arrived, If I ever do it again Ill just order it without the cut and do it myself. As is - its close enough for a shooting stock. Ill use the original stock as a wallhanger when I get around to fixing it.

The rifle did have some serious pits on the mount rail. Bad enough to not alow the mount to fit on so I had to carefully knock down the rust and pits. Now the mount slides on nice and tight and locks up firm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments everyone. I totally agree with you on the cutout Dave. The cutout is a bit too deep and steep. I was a little bummed on that when it arrived, If I ever do it again Ill just order it without the cut and do it myself. As is - its close enough for a shooting stock. Ill use the original stock as a wallhanger when I get around to fixing it.

The rifle did have some serious pits on the mount rail. Bad enough to not alow the mount to fit on so I had to carefully knock down the rust and pits. Now the mount slides on nice and tight and locks up firm.

I am really amazed by how close the Stock replication appears , the gent in Poland did a very nice job at least thats the impression I get from the pics you posted .It will make a nice shooter and wall hanger for You . You saved most likely saved it from further destruction . Best Regards .

Just for conversation sake , would You tell me what the approximate cost of having that stock made was, and do you know if it was more or less than say a typical repro K98 stock he makes . Thanks .

Last edited:

You did a very nice job and it looks like all you need is the cloth to complete the project.

Just for conversation sake , would You tell me what the approximate cost of having that stock made was, and do you know if it was more or less than say a typical repro K98 stock he makes . Thanks .

The stock cost me $378 shipped. Im not sure if the standard or walnut versions are +/-

About 6 weeks to make. 3 weeks to ship.

Getting closer to completion. Was able to source an excellent repo end plate made by Clay (flynaked).

I have a few tech questions maybe somebody can help me with?

What is the inner distance between the lower band and upper band on a Kriegsmodell? (this is important as it determines where my front band screw hole is to be drilled)

With my calipers I measured about 76.6mm on rifles with band springs. If I try to set the upper band 76.6mm away from the lower band the endcap/band alignment starts to look funky. Looking at pictures, it looks like the bands are closer together judging from the barrel step.

Second,

Are the edges on the stock end slightly rounded under/behind the endplate? Should the end plate slightly "cup" over the end of the stock?

Thanks for any help!

Outstanding resurrection! It looks like the metal cleaned up really good. The distance between the upper and lower band is 2.86" on a semi-kriegsmodell stock with screws holding the bands and flat end plate.

The only thing I would suggest is repair the original stock and use that on it .

Unfortunately, it was chopped off not at the lower barrel band but right underneath the hand guard. There will always be a visible line where original stock and repair piece have been fused together. It will be difficult to fabricate or find a repair piece having laminate and grain structure matching up with the original stock. It may end up looking like Finnish Mosins with their patchwork stocks.

Second,

Are the edges on the stock end slightly rounded under/behind the endplate? Should the end plate slightly "cup" over the end of the stock?

Thanks for any help!

Finally got around to taking the pics for you. Sorry it took so long. First pics of an original end plate:

SLQ9c4.jpgdtMloL.jpg

And an original walnut km stock end cut:

zL0Lv3.jpgjeJqd8.jpg

Thread resurrect! Any updates on the rifle? Range report?

Its all finished. Ive taken it out a few times and managed to get it somewhat zeroed at 100 yards. The entire zeroing prodcedure is a PITA. The recticle moves in a sideways figure 8 pattern. Very difficult to adjust to the point of impact. Its mostly trial and error. I was using 50s yugo so that didnt help.

A solid clamp to clamp the rifle down so it doesnt move at all, an original aiming device, some M75 sniper ammo, a full day at a range set up for meters and im sure it would be a tac driver.

Looks great so far!! While it may not be king on the sniper world, I've always liked the zf41

Military Rifle Journal
Back