Third Party Press

MP44 receiver sheet metal?

Well it is almost impossible for SSD to export parts outside EU so that s why they dont sell parts to USA.

Well it is almost impossible for SSD to export parts outside EU so that s why they dont sell parts to USA.

This is what I don't understand. We can import parts for AK and other rifles. We can even import AK Polish receiver flats and then "roll them ourselves" (I believe Childers offers these).

Why can't we import SSD receiver flats and parts and build them here (in the US)? The only hitch I can see would be having a certain amount of domestic parts (922r).

Childers, copes and other are not importing flats, they are importing 80% bent blanks from Poland, these have no rails, the flats folk use are made here in the US

the ak parts kits are coming from other countries, there are strict export rules in Germany, switzerland, russia, china to the US, the kits are mainly coming from Poland, serbia, yugoslavia, israel & middle east, ukraine

we pissed off putin so no russian Captured MP-44 or MP-40 kits from russia rumors are they have tons of them

Childers, copes and other are not importing flats, they are importing 80% bent blanks from Poland, these have no rails, the flats folk use are made here in the US

That's what I meant, thanks for correcting.

Too bad for the strict export laws Germany has.

receivers

I think the interest is there. But from alot of comments I've read in the past, alot of guys dont want to pay $5k for a repro semi only MP44 clone. If there were a semi only receiver available who really knows how many parts sets are stashed away in closets that will either get sold for alot more than it was originally priced at. Or how many would be built into working semi's. To bad SSD or whatever they call themselves these days dont sell just parts stateside. Without a source for parts, affordable reliable parts, it might be hard to sell just a receiver.

I think I'd have to disagree re demand for receivers. Many guys that want to build up a 44 might very well have a parts set. My thinking is that the lack of a receiver or enough left of a destroyed one for one to rework is the reason for parts sets that are not built. I don't know that much of anyone is thinking they'd be wanting to buy a bunch of PTR parts to build on a US rec. I'm not brainstorming complete rec. in any event, just the sheetmetal shell to go with the rec. blocks soon coming.
The big question is that since the tooling to stamp out that shell is so costly, not having any way of knowing whether enough would sell to justify the cost makes it worthy of much hesitation. I suppose one could collect healthy deposits until enough were gotten to justify starting the tooling. NOT,NOT, NOT, all of us who have been around the gun world a while know how those kind of deals have gone with years of delays, unkept timelines, lost money, PO'd depositers etc.
Pete

I think I'd have to disagree re demand for receivers. Many guys that want to build up a 44 might very well have a parts set. My thinking is that the lack of a receiver or enough left of a destroyed one for one to rework is the reason for parts sets that are not built. I don't know that much of anyone is thinking they'd be wanting to buy a bunch of PTR parts to build on a US rec. I'm not brainstorming complete rec. in any event, just the sheetmetal shell to go with the rec. blocks soon coming.
The big question is that since the tooling to stamp out that shell is so costly, not having any way of knowing whether enough would sell to justify the cost makes it worthy of much hesitation. I suppose one could collect healthy deposits until enough were gotten to justify starting the tooling. NOT,NOT, NOT, all of us who have been around the gun world a while know how those kind of deals have gone with years of delays, unkept timelines, lost money, PO'd depositers etc.
Pete

I dont really follow what you are in disagreement with regards to my post. I reread it a few times and dont see where what you wrote disagrees with where I was going.

agree/disagree

I dont really follow what you are in disagreement with regards to my post. I reread it a few times and dont see where what you wrote disagrees with where I was going.

Good point. Disagree was not the word to use. I guess I actually agree more than disagree. I'm just looking at in the vein of say it took the sale of 100 at some realistic price (number pulled out of the air) to make it worthwhile to do. I do not think that number would ever all sell. Just no way to know how many prospects would come out of closets, from under workbenches or wherever.
The halves might have to sell at a price that when added to what a parts set is going for lately might end up being more than guys would want to end up with in a finished rifle. But then a rifle that is all (mostly) WW2 German parts should command a value exceeding what a PTR is worth. True or not?? We are in our own little Sturmgewehr world though. Perhaps within some reason price might not be an issue.
All good to BS about!
Pete

Military Rifle Journal
Back