Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jap Contract VZ24 for Czech Army use

Default Jap Contract VZ24 for Czech Army use

This is one I picked up at the Show of Shows this year, and I love it. I wanted 1 good VZ24 for the collection, this is it! Rifle is in the Japanese contract serial range (P series) but has Czech E3 Lion 38 acceptance, meaning it was used by the Czech army. I think more likely German used as it doesn't have a sight protector- but at the muzzle is wear from a muzzle cover? Not sure, but this gun is better than my photos show.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrfarb; 03-03-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Forum Newbie

B-E-A-U-tiful rifle.

I've been slowly falling more and more in love with Czech rifles.

My P series is pretty early and is said to come from the Pacific (it came with a katana. I've been trying to find a nice C or P prefix with the Czech proofs.

Default Vz24 "p"

Very nice farb! I have a number of these rifles and they are always a good find, especially the Czech Army accepted. This is my earliest one in the 1937 "P" block, #3361 (not CZ Army marked). JH

That's nice! The quality of these pre-war VZ24 rifles is amazing. I really like the rust blue finish on them. If I fall completely in love with early war rifles, it will be the fault of VZ24's, I'm sure of it.

Farb, that thing is much nicer than you described it! Pic stickied.
    Last edited by Hambone; 03-04-2011 at 11:29 AM.

I guess when you've owned more than 70% of total bnz 45 production you need to branch out

here are some shots of my Army acceted but Japanese used P series....pretty close to yours.

LOL, 70 %of bnz 45's. So I see yours has a Kanji marked sling- I would think a Czech army proofed one would not have one? Mine had one on it but was admittedly added by the guy selling it, so I took it off. That one is damn close to mine!

Oh, sorry, I must have underestimated the bnz 45 tally. Is it 85%? ;-)

There are 2 variations that exist with these. One, with just the P series serial number and NO CZECH date acceptance. The other type is the one that I have. It does have the Czech date acceptance. Simson (as usual) gave me some great background material a couple of years ago when I got mine. Apparently the Japanese acquired rifles two ways. One, they bought them and two they captured them from China. Even though China was fighting Japan the Germans authorized shipments of Czech arms to China because China had Tungsten which was needed by the German war machine. Loads of the rifles sold to China by the Germans came out of captured Czech military stores.

Some object to Japanese used rifles having Czech military acceptance markings. The issue is that many of these have come in from China (with Czech military acceptance) and a crappy $100 import gets an inflated price tag because of implied Japanese provenance. So, if the rifle has the Czech date acceptance you need to look for a few things:

1)Does it match? The imports don’t match.
    2)Is it import marked? Or, more importantly if it doesn’t have an import mark.
    3)A kanji marked sling or any other sign of Japanese use

I see that yours has some additional pained on markings on the left side of the buttstock, but they don’t look Japanese. Also, yours is on much better condition than mine. The sling on mine is practically falling off. Trust me, it has been on there for a very long time. Mine came out of the closed a few years ago in Connecticut.

Last edited by 3371940; 03-04-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: font adjustment

Hi Mike,
    I did research in my books.
    Export from Ceska zbrojovka between World wars:
    There are not informations about cooperation before 30th of September 1938( Munich agreement), but immediately after that, Japan starts interest about 40000 pcs VZ 24 from Czech. In January 1939 was signed agreement about that and VZ 24 were sent to Japan. These guns were from store. They were made for Czech Army befor WWII(order in 1936 Year for 55000 pcs from Brno plant for Czech army).
    After 15th of March 1939 (Czech ocupation from German troops) the next negotiatons was continuing about next delivery for machineguns VZ 26. On 31 th of March visited factory in Brno Japan ambassador from Berlin. But japan government had problems with payment and bussines was stopped.
    Your gun is from delivery from January 1939
    Stana

Congratulation once again my Friend !!!!!!!
    Stana

Great gun and info guys.
    And I thought I was going to quietly move into the vz24's.