Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bnz44 SS contract from SOS

Default bnz44 SS contract from SOS

Picked this up at the SOS this year- it was a really good show! You have to be quick, or know someone quick.

Pretty much standard fare for these, but i traded the one I had last year to a good buddy, hoping I find another- well I did! This one has a single rune marked sight base (I forgot to take pics when I had it apart). Barrel code is included in photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Senior Member Winchester Cowboy's Avatar

Very Nice!

Nice looking rifle.

I know Kriegsmodell states that the v7 has nothing to do with the SS contract rifles but there seems to be a high number of them that have the marking. As an aside, the book mentions 'other WWII items' that have the v7 marking. Do you know any off-hand?

That statement is not as complete as it should have been- as far as I can remember, the Circle V7 proof only shows up on these SS contract guns and late Steyr rifles (I have a bnz45 with this marking). I can't recall off the top of my head seeing it on a single rune rifle at the moment, I'd have to go back through my files. I think unless you find a document that explains it, we will never know for sure. There are other V type markings on stuff, such as the Buchenwalde G43 rifles for example.

Here is the pic of my bnz45 with that mark, 8778 S serial number.

Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

very nice farb!!

Real Nice!!

Good thing I didn't see that one

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default V in a Circle markings

The numbered V in a circle looks familiar and I will need to check my G43 bcd rifle that I just finished bringing back from Bubba the carpenter and painter's handiwork. I am fairly sure this marking is present on the underside of the barrel just in back of the front sight base. I have photographed the V in the circle marking on a bunch of the parts on this gun and they seem to be only on the G43 guns produced at Gustloff II / Buchenwald. They are amazingly well hidden but are on most components. Anyone seen these markings on other K98's?

Default Circle Markings - bcd

Here's the close up of the barrel stamp on the G43 bcd. Thought it might be similar but now I see the photo it looks like an "L" which does not match any of the other circle type markings on this gun... Strange

Thumbs up

That bnz is a stunning rifle.The SS contract rifles have always intrested me but I have yet to find one,What would I expect to pay for one like yours if I encounter one at a show??

Thanks
    Irish
    Collector of US and German Militaria.Seeking Helmets,uniforms,medal groups.Especially from the 34th Infantry Division,113th Cavalry,First Special Service Force,Ranger and USMC items.
    Thanks

Hey Mike, is that like a dowelled repair/strengthener in the bolt relief near the front?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid