Third Party Press

DougB exposes "Champagne Rune" SS Decal Fraud and Adds a Coffin Nail to XRFacts

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
DougB exposes "Champagne Rune" SS Decal Fraud and Adds a Coffin Nail to XRFacts

Sent to me:
http://www.ghw2.com/topic/49110-champagne-decals/

Finally, the helmet collecting community has a steward who is ethical, upright, cannot be censored or banned (he is a site admin), and who will call it like he sees it, regardless of the hobby's "big shots". SS helmet fraud has been going on since I've been collecting helmets, since the 80s. Fortunately, I was suspicious enough to not get involved in collecting SS helmets. There will be some squirming SS helmet "gurus" who have sold these and blessed them. It's been a long time coming and it is quite a sad statement that it took this long when there are those who know better but sacrifice ethics for money. Thank you and well done DougB :happy0180:

On emust be a member there to 'view' anything. So what is the jist of the posting - details ?.

Those "Champagne rune" decals on SS helmets which have been peddled so long are fakes. They are painted on with templates. Many people are stuck with expensive "artwork".

Hambone, could you cut and paste the important parts of the GHW post? I would like to read what was said, but am not a member.

Last edited:
Those "Champagne rune" decals on SS helmets which have been peddled so long are fakes. They are painted on with templates. Many people are stuck with expensive "artwork".

There are a whole lot of unanswered questions about the C-SS decal. It is like the undersea earthquake. We may be just feeling the beginning of the shaking, but what happens when that massive Tsunami finally arrives?

If those unissued C-SS helmets sold for 5-7K a pop, several hundred of them would be over a million dollars. That is one heck of a refund to ask for.

I remember seeing one of those in the mid '80s. I think it was only $700 back then, but with slate gray paint and C-SS decal.

If anyone is wanting a partial refund, I'll offer $700 for a minty one. :laugh:

What a mess...

Kelly Hicks and David May's XRFacts endorse C SS lids as legit.

M45 and I were discussing this back in January on an SS lid thread that C SS lids were post war productions. This is not new information. It's been a while, and my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe M45's lot number study seems to support the notion that C SS lids are fakes.

What is interesting is the number of vet bring-back C SS lids which alludes to the fact that vets are bull-scheitters, which they are.

It will be interesting as more of the SS lid establishment come to the realization that these once blessed as legit lids are in fact fakes.

Sent to me:
http://www.ghw2.com/topic/49110-champagne-decals/

Finally, the helmet collecting community has a steward who is ethical, upright, cannot be censored or banned (he is a site admin), and who will call it like he sees it, regardless of the hobby's "big shots". SS helmet fraud has been going on since I've been collecting helmets, since the 80s. Fortunately, I was suspicious enough to not get involved in collecting SS helmets. There will be some squirming SS helmet "gurus" who have sold these and blessed them. It's been a long time coming and it is quite a sad statement that it took this long when there are those who know better but sacrifice ethics for money. Thank you and well done DougB :happy0180:

What is the date of the thread?

Kelly Hicks and David May's XRFacts endorse C SS lids as legit.

M45 and I were discussing this back in January on an SS lid thread that C SS lids were post war productions. This is not new information. It's been a while, and my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe M45's lot number study seems to support the notion that C SS lids are fakes.

M45 gets MUCH credit for his lot studies to expose this. Great resource, must have reference if you collect helmets.

M45 gets MUCH credit for his lot studies to expose this. Great resource, must have reference if you collect helmets.

I agree. He sent me a copy back in January. Unlike XRFacts, M45's lid lot number study is an impressive work that's based on objective observations and it advances knowledge in the hobby. It is a must have for lid collectors.

WAF would be censoring, deleting, and banning posters, as they did to protect XRFacts. As WAFmod Willi Zahn said "we are handling this privately"; because of course, is little people of the hobby shouldn't have access to the truth and facts.

Fortunately, for helmet collecting, DougB is ethical, has means, has a spine, and as an admin at GWH has a platform where the waftards and wafmods can't censor him and silence this information, which is significant and quite damning for some. The beauty of it is that the amount of money lost could result in the layers of the world of helmet humpers and sellers being peeled back and criminal charges being filed. More to come....

Interesting discussion, as helmets for me are only a sidelight and I need all the help I can get. I heartedly endorse Brian Ice's lot number list!!! As Brian has said in the past, its not a be all or end all, but just the place to start to examine a potential buy. BUT, if any helmet I am looking at doesn't pass Brian's list's hurdle first, I then walk away without another look. Interestingly, I have had several sellers then try to tell me of all the "exceptions" that are not included in Brian's study, but by then I'm already on the next row of tables and never look back.

I agree. He sent me a copy back in January. Unlike XRFacts, M45's lid lot number study is an impressive work that's based on objective observations and it advances knowledge in the hobby. It is a must have for lid collectors.

This. If you are going to buy German helmets and have an interest you're foolish for not making such a small investment in such a work.

Thanks for all of those kind words, guys. The many who had once accepted the C-SS decals did so primarily on the words of others (and they looked so good). I've owned a number of SS helmets in the past, long before I knew what I was doing. Forums have been a great source of information via networking with other collectors. We can all thank the Internet for that.

If it wasn't for lot numbers, I would still be depending on others.

I would like to hear more about this 'template, spray painted' method as it is the first I have heard of it in reference to the C-SS decal.

Actually, the title of this thread should be "Doug B now agrees C SS lids are fakes." M45 has long questioned the authenticity of C SS lids, because their lot numbers don't follow a logical pattern. The lot number study suggests they're post war fakes, because a significant number appear in the no-decal era and the lot numbers appear to be random. I think Doug B was resisting the assertion that C SS lids were fakes for some time, but has either found new information or finally accepted what the lot number study suggests.

If you don't have a copy of M45's work, then you should buy a copy: German Helmut Lot Numbers 1935-1945 Ongoing Research, Brian Ice, Revision 7, 7 August 2014, 586 pages.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/brian-ice/...rs-revision-7/paperback/product-21757730.html

I've got Revision 7, but Revision 8 may be published in the near future.

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks for the plug, tjg79. The book is also available on Ebay in hard copy or PDF file.

eBay: 321876878221, 321881689490

No version 8 anytime soon. I may do one if some ground-breaking information becomes available or if collectors send me a vast amount of decal information on entries that lack it.
Version 7 has quite a bit of decal information that I did not have back in 2011 with the early versions. Also, at over 15,200 entries factory production patterns become apparent.

This revelation of the template, spray painted C-SS decal has me intrigued. I had understood that original SS decal were made of a stacked celluloid material along with a crushed silver pulver for the background.

Military Rifle Journal
Back