Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: duv 40 Commonwealth capture

Default duv 40 Commonwealth capture

duv 40 capture with Commonwealth markings and Commonwealth Military Provost / Military Police disc. The AA broad arrow could be Alexandria Arsenal depot, in Egypt. None of these rifles show up later than 1941 and all so identified with the AA broad arrow stock marking and a few with capture discs are all dated within the period of supply to the DAK and Afrika would be the logical place to assume such a large capture of K98k rifles so dated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hambone; 12-07-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Wow Ham, that is really cool! I used to be heavily into collecting Enfields too, still have about 10 really nice ones...I would love to find one of these to bridge the gap!

Pzjgr, tks, they turn up. I collect Enfields as well. These are all AA broad arrow. Oddly, the reported ones have been byf 41s, mostly duv 41s, and a couple duv 40s. Jack944 has one. A few have had the property disc. Years ago I was chasing one that had the AA, property disc, and was British nitro proofed, having made it back to the UK. The evidence strongly suggests British/Commonwealth capture from the DAK, then surplus to/use by a Commonwealth such as India, Malaysia, etc.

Have you figured out the unit marking on the stock disc? That may be helpful too in determining where it came from...match the unit to the locale...

I have Skennerton's "Broad Arrow" which has a lot of unit abbreviations, if you don't have it I can check when I get home from vacation next week...

PS One of my favorites is an Aussie property marked No 1, with a 1 FAB HQ marking disc....the 1st Field Artillery Battalion was an Aussie unit at Gallipopli, and they changed their designation and marking when they transferred to Eurpope...so there is a good chance that Enfield was at Gallipoli...

HB , VERY nice . I've never seen one of those marked as such . I wonder how many more are out there with commonwealth markings , i'd assume most ended up in other empire countries ? Rifles and gear from the DAK seem rare to begin with . Thanks for the pics !

Default nice

I have to dig out the pics of mine and will post.

Do that Jack. I believe yours is the same, but without the disc. My take on these is that they were DAK capture rifles and the AA broad arrow is either Allhalabad (sic) Arsenal in India, or Alexandria Arsenal in Egypt. The AA marking shows they went through there for inspect, likely destined for distribution in the Commonwealth. Those with discs were actually used by MP units and assigned unit numbers, either for training or actual use. Mine was had the bolt stop ledge on the follower milled down so that the bolt does not stay open on an empty magazine. That's the same as a SMLE and No.4. Mine was obviously well used, a combat carried weapon. Many are. The majority of these are duv 41, then byf 41, then duv 40, all are Heer marked. I've never seen one that was not one of those codes. Have about six recorded.

I have a matching 36 or 37 Oberndorf, AA marked, missing disk. It does have another marking on receiver, small proof or?
    Will try to get photos soon

Jeff

Jeff, do post. I believe you've posted those before, way back? IN any event I think yours is one of the earlier rifles.

Here is photos of my matching S/42 code, 1936. Very quick on the photos will try to get more time to do another photo of the receiver shot with unknown proof?
    Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images