Third Party Press

Sauer Low Turret Sniper

Hercules

Here are some pictures of a Sauer Low Turret. Barrel code is included. I am guessing it is a 1944, but I am not 100% sure of the year. The stock year code appears to be early 1943. So, that would suggest 1943. It appears it has an Astrawerke receiver. Any other ideas on the year of manufacture?

Attachments

• DSCN2682.jpg
    DSCN2682.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
the stock is late 43 I think ? 40th week of 52. Parts will always predate assembly. That's a nice un-touched piece I had it "in hand" a few times..

Stock

the stock is late 43 I think ? 40th week of 52. Parts will always predate assembly. That's a nice un-touched piece I had it "in hand" a few times..

Wayne,

Those numbers on the stock are sometimes confusing except for the year. There is a 2 in there as well which could be the 2 month. I suppose the 40 week would make more sense. The 43 for the year is the easiest part of the puzzle.

Brian

I am glad to see the knowing are giving a thumbs up. I was not sure. Had I seen it I would be calling and emailing for opinions since these are so rarely seen, therefore I am not sure what to look for. I do not recall JPS using that front band this early(just noted in the scope thread it is actually an early 44, not 43 so makes more sense) but I know so little anyway. If the approval continues a picture sticky would be great IMO. Congrats and good luck on finding a correct upper.

Last edited:
I am glad to see the knowing are giving a thumbs up. I was not sure. Had I seen it I would be calling and emailing for opinions since these are so rarely seen, therefore I am not sure what to look for. I do not recall JPS using that front band this early(just noted in the scope thread it is actually an early 44, not 43 so makes more sense) but I know so little anyway. If the approval continues a picture sticky would be great IMO. Congrats and good luck on finding a correct upper.

Yes the front band points to 1944. These are seldom seen for sure. I posted here to share and create interest. Also, to get barrel code info. No other reason. I think there is only one other Sauer Low Turret that has ever been posted here.

Yes the front band points to 1944. These are seldom seen for sure. I posted here to share and create interest. Also, to get barrel code info. No other reason. I think there is only one other Sauer Low Turret that has ever been posted here.

Yes, extremely rare for sure. Glad you got a good one. Anyone who is not interested does not have a pulse IMO. Plus, I am a JPS fan for some reason??

Just for being nosey what is the rifle serial number on your Ajack H/T scope you might trade off. It could match my rifle. Regards Dave gill

Here is a picture of the receiver with a 1 marking I think. Maybe it is not a 1 and that would make me guess 1943 manufacture. I was told that based on the barrel code it is no letter block 1944 probably.

Just referring to the fact its an Astra werke BCD4 coded receiver and not a walther or Erma type. Most of these when they show up with JPS are late 44 and as Long side rail type.

As super scarce rifle anyone here would be proud to own..

Last edited:
Wayne,

Those numbers on the stock are sometimes confusing except for the year. There is a 2 in there as well which could be the 2 month. I suppose the 40 week would make more sense. The 43 for the year is the easiest part of the puzzle.

Brian

Hello Brian,

I saw this thread already a longer time ago and I thought I have written something, but I was wrong. It's a very interesting and mysterious rifle, now I have to write something.

The stock stock completion code is "2 40 43" and it means 5th October 1943. The first number block "2" is the Day and you have to keep in mind in Germany the week start on Monday, not Sunday. The second number block "40" is the week and the last number block "43" the year. Of course the actual production date of the rifle is after stock completion and the stocks were stock piled, at Sauer & Sohn in 1944 average 16 weeks. Let us suppose it's the case with your rifle, then actual production date would be in January 1944.

The serial number is "2133" without suffix and this lead us to a production date in January. The barrel code "ce ch" fits perfect into the ce 44 range in January 1944. The barrel bands fits to a ce 44 (the stamped ones got already introduced in late 1943).

The transition from "SN on receiver - no SN on barrel" to " SN on barrel - no SN on receiver" happened between late "i" and late "l" block, around June/July 1944. On the barrel is no serial number, just on the receiver and it fits to a early 1944 production.

Now to the mysterious part and you mentioned already the lower case "l" which is a sign of a Astra Werke receiver. In addition the "Mod.98" is in block letters and not the gothic type from the Erma receivers which normally got used in 1944. The Walther receivers in 1943 had the "Mod.98" in block letters, but your receiver doesn't look like a Walther production and in my opinion it's no longer in contention. As determination we come to a "bcd 4" Astra Werke receiver.
But the first "bcd 4" appear in the early "s" block in 1944, the "bcd 4" have the SN always on the barrel and not on the receiver.

Note the reinspection stamp e/37 beside SN on barrel. It reminds me a bit about a "oddball group" of ce 42 and here is a thread about such a rifle: ce 42 b factory repaired receiver
I noticed something similar with one example in 1943 with a ce 43 and I was thinking about the reasons. Seems like Sauer & Sohn filled in later production, certainly in fall/winter, some rejected serial numbers with rifles with reinspected parts. It would be nice to resume the discussion.

Greetings,
Stephan

I will say that bcd4 marked receivers start showing up at Sauer in late 43 and by early 44 you see quite a few examples, even some ar43 marked ones. This rifle falls right in line with early no letter block 1944 production.

Low Turret

Hello Brian,

I saw this thread already a longer time ago and I thought I have written something, but I was wrong. It's a very interesting and mysterious rifle, now I have to write something.

The stock stock completion code is "2 40 43" and it means 5th October 1943. The first number block "2" is the Day and you have to keep in mind in Germany the week start on Monday, not Sunday. The second number block "40" is the week and the last number block "43" the year. Of course the actual production date of the rifle is after stock completion and the stocks were stock piled, at Sauer & Sohn in 1944 average 16 weeks. Let us suppose it's the case with your rifle, then actual production date would be in January 1944.

The serial number is "2133" without suffix and this lead us to a production date in January. The barrel code "ce ch" fits perfect into the ce 44 range in January 1944. The barrel bands fits to a ce 44 (the stamped ones got already introduced in late 1943).

The transition from "SN on receiver - no SN on barrel" to " SN on barrel - no SN on receiver" happened between late "i" and late "l" block, around June/July 1944. On the barrel is no serial number, just on the receiver and it fits to a early 1944 production.

Now to the mysterious part and you mentioned already the lower case "l" which is a sign of a Astra Werke receiver. In addition the "Mod.98" is in block letters and not the gothic type from the Erma receivers which normally got used in 1944. The Walther receivers in 1943 had the "Mod.98" in block letters, but your receiver doesn't look like a Walther production and in my opinion it's no longer in contention. As determination we come to a "bcd 4" Astra Werke receiver.
But the first "bcd 4" appear in the early "s" block in 1944, the "bcd 4" have the SN always on the barrel and not on the receiver.

Note the reinspection stamp e/37 beside SN on barrel. It reminds me a bit about a "oddball group" of ce 42 and here is a thread about such a rifle: ce 42 b factory repaired receiver
I noticed something similar with one example in 1943 with a ce 43 and I was thinking about the reasons. Seems like Sauer & Sohn filled in later production, certainly in fall/winter, some rejected serial numbers with rifles with reinspected parts. It would be nice to resume the discussion.

Greetings,
Stephan

Stephan,

I like your well thought out response on the date code on many of the 98K rifle stocks. I think your response explains things pretty good and is a really good theory. Farb's response on the receiver production is better than any I could come up with. It is a pretty nice rifle and is currently my collections only Low Turret. I now have an original BMJ Low Turret scope that I have mounted on it now. Thanks for your explanation.

Brian

I certainly would not poo poo that rifle. A JPS turret rifle has become my next dream rifle. Even a mismatched one would do as I never see them. Sometimes one must take what they can find. Typically I buy a mismatch or issue rifle and within a short time am offered a matching example. Funny how that works. Nice rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back