006.jpg
004.jpg
007.jpg
009.jpg
005.jpg
018.jpg
008.jpg
Regards

Droulz, is it possible you check behind the buttplate for the stock completion date code? I guess there is the laminate supplier "Br" and maybe a completion date in late 1940.

Regards,
Stephan

Hambone, pic sticky was a good idea! Do you can also help with your stock completion date code?

Regards,
Stephan

Hambone, pic sticky was a good idea! Do you can also help with your stock completion date code?

Regards,
Stephan

Stephan,
I'll have to dig it out the safe, but I'll put a post it note on my safe so that the next time I dig through there I'll pull it out and get a pic of that info for you. My rifle is in Vol.2 of the K98k book on p.834 and 835.
Kind regards,
HB

Stephan,
I'll have to dig it out the safe, but I'll put a post it note on my safe so that the next time I dig through there I'll pull it out and get a pic of that info for you. My rifle is in Vol.2 of the K98k book on p.834 and 835.
Kind regards,
HB

Thank you very much HB! :happy0180:

It's a funny coincidence, in the morning I was writing a email to Mike and I was asking if he could contact the owner of serial number 2867e and ask for the stock completion date code. So far I only have the data of two rifles and yours would be a great help. Please tell me if I can help you with something in return.

Regards,
Stephan

Gorgeous rifle! Luftwaffe marked rifles always make my heart skip a beat on the rare occasions I run into them. Well worth the money!

Thank you very much HB! :happy0180:

It's a funny coincidence, in the morning I was writing a email to Mike and I was asking if he could contact the owner of serial number 2867e and ask for the stock completion date code. So far I only have the data of two rifles and yours would be a great help. Please tell me if I can help you with something in return.

Regards,
Stephan

Stephan,
In digging out the rifles I sold I dug down and pulled this one for you and removed the buttplate:

bsw 39 LZA4 (1).jpg bsw 39 LZA4 (2).jpg bsw 39 LZA4 (4).jpg bsw 39 LZA4 (3).jpg

Stephan,
In digging out the rifles I sold I dug down and pulled this one for you and removed the buttplate:

View attachment 219566 View attachment 219567 View attachment 219568 View attachment 219569

That's a great surprise, thank you very much Hambone!

The stock completion date code "BH 1 42 40" means October 14, 1940. Up to your Luftamt rifle sn 2867e I have now three stock completion date codes and all are between September 24, 1940 and November 11, 1940. Also the laminate supplier "BH" is interesting, until today the ealiest one which I knew was from 1941 and your data helped a lot.

Regards,
Stephan

Glad that it helped. You've been a wealth of excellent information, found nowhere else :happy0180:

The theory / conventional wisdom has always been that these were made up during the "great rifle shortages" leading up to and during Barbarossa, such that they were assembled in mid/late 1941 and 1942. Are you seeing that trend?

Glad that it helped. You've been a wealth of excellent information, found nowhere else :happy0180:

The theory / conventional wisdom has always been that these were made up during the "great rifle shortages" leading up to and during Barbarossa, such that they were assembled in mid/late 1941 and 1942. Are you seeing that trend?

Yes, I agree with the theory and I think the majority got assembled in late 1941. Unfortunately we don't have documents which show in which Luftzeugamt the rifles got assembled. Maybe in L.Z.A. Küpper near Sagan, also possible is L.Z.A. Kölleda.

Regards,
Stephan

Stephan,
Kind regards,
HB

So your the one that owns that beauty in the book. I drooled all over it. You are one lucky man. Very nice rarer rifle.

So your the one that owns that beauty in the book. I drooled all over it. You are one lucky man. Very nice rarer rifle.

Thank you WT. What's funny is that rifle and another dou. 44 were the first two rifles I bought off the internets with my C&R. They were listed on a trader site, I think the old "Gun and Knife" site as both coming from the same estate. $900 for both, listed as matching, from a vet's estate, no pics. I rolled the bones. I thought I was getting a straight up bsw 1939. I think this was 1991 or something.

Military Rifle Journal
Back