Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Kar 98k BSW 1939 with LuftAmt

  1. #11
    Community Organizer Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    75,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan98k View Post
    Hambone, pic sticky was a good idea! Do you can also help with your stock completion date code?

    Regards,
    Stephan
    Stephan,
    I'll have to dig it out the safe, but I'll put a post it note on my safe so that the next time I dig through there I'll pull it out and get a pic of that info for you. My rifle is in Vol.2 of the K98k book on p.834 and 835.
    Kind regards,
    HB
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

  2. #12
    aka 8x57IS Stephan98k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Stephan,
    I'll have to dig it out the safe, but I'll put a post it note on my safe so that the next time I dig through there I'll pull it out and get a pic of that info for you. My rifle is in Vol.2 of the K98k book on p.834 and 835.
    Kind regards,
    HB
    Thank you very much HB!

    It's a funny coincidence, in the morning I was writing a email to Mike and I was asking if he could contact the owner of serial number 2867e and ask for the stock completion date code. So far I only have the data of two rifles and yours would be a great help. Please tell me if I can help you with something in return.

    Regards,
    Stephan

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Gorgeous rifle! Luftwaffe marked rifles always make my heart skip a beat on the rare occasions I run into them. Well worth the money!

  4. #14
    Community Organizer Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    75,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan98k View Post
    Thank you very much HB!

    It's a funny coincidence, in the morning I was writing a email to Mike and I was asking if he could contact the owner of serial number 2867e and ask for the stock completion date code. So far I only have the data of two rifles and yours would be a great help. Please tell me if I can help you with something in return.

    Regards,
    Stephan
    Stephan,
    In digging out the rifles I sold I dug down and pulled this one for you and removed the buttplate:

    bsw 39 LZA4 (1).jpg bsw 39 LZA4 (2).jpg bsw 39 LZA4 (4).jpg bsw 39 LZA4 (3).jpg
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

  5. #15
    aka 8x57IS Stephan98k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Stephan,
    In digging out the rifles I sold I dug down and pulled this one for you and removed the buttplate:

    bsw 39 LZA4 (1).jpg bsw 39 LZA4 (2).jpg bsw 39 LZA4 (4).jpg bsw 39 LZA4 (3).jpg
    That's a great surprise, thank you very much Hambone!

    The stock completion date code "BH 1 42 40" means October 14, 1940. Up to your Luftamt rifle sn 2867e I have now three stock completion date codes and all are between September 24, 1940 and November 11, 1940. Also the laminate supplier "BH" is interesting, until today the ealiest one which I knew was from 1941 and your data helped a lot.

    Regards,
    Stephan

  6. #16
    Community Organizer Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    75,918

    Default

    Glad that it helped. You've been a wealth of excellent information, found nowhere else

    The theory / conventional wisdom has always been that these were made up during the "great rifle shortages" leading up to and during Barbarossa, such that they were assembled in mid/late 1941 and 1942. Are you seeing that trend?
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

  7. #17
    aka 8x57IS Stephan98k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Glad that it helped. You've been a wealth of excellent information, found nowhere else

    The theory / conventional wisdom has always been that these were made up during the "great rifle shortages" leading up to and during Barbarossa, such that they were assembled in mid/late 1941 and 1942. Are you seeing that trend?
    Yes, I agree with the theory and I think the majority got assembled in late 1941. Unfortunately we don't have documents which show in which Luftzeugamt the rifles got assembled. Maybe in L.Z.A. Küpper near Sagan, also possible is L.Z.A. Kölleda.

    Regards,
    Stephan

  8. #18
    Senior Member WreckTangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Stephan,
    I'll have to dig it out the safe, but I'll put a post it note on my safe so that the next time I dig through there I'll pull it out and get a pic of that info for you. My rifle is in Vol.2 of the K98k book on p.834 and 835.
    Kind regards,
    HB
    So your the one that owns that beauty in the book. I drooled all over it. You are one lucky man. Very nice rarer rifle.

  9. #19
    Community Organizer Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    75,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WreckTangle View Post
    So your the one that owns that beauty in the book. I drooled all over it. You are one lucky man. Very nice rarer rifle.
    Thank you WT. What's funny is that rifle and another dou. 44 were the first two rifles I bought off the internets with my C&R. They were listed on a trader site, I think the old "Gun and Knife" site as both coming from the same estate. $900 for both, listed as matching, from a vet's estate, no pics. I rolled the bones. I thought I was getting a straight up bsw 1939. I think this was 1991 or something.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •