Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Video showing GI with captured 98-40's

  1. #1
    No War Eagles For You! mrfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,958

    Default Video showing GI with captured 98-40's

    I was watching the History channel the other day, special on the fall of the Third Reich. We've probably all seen it. Anyway, I noticed a guy standing in the background with a few rifles slung along with his Garand. So, I took some stills of the pics. They appear to be 98-40's. These pics aren't as good at the images on the TV, but you can see pretty well what they are. Film is from the town of Dachau in 1945.



    Attached Images Attached Images
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

  2. #2
    Moderator 3371940's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    I was watching the History channel the other day, special on the fall of the Third Reich. We've probably all seen it. Anyway, I noticed a guy standing in the background with a few rifles slung along with his Garand. So, I took some stills of the pics. They appear to be 98-40's. These pics aren't as good at the images on the TV, but you can see pretty well what they are. Film is from the town of Dachau in 1945.



    Those are great pics! I think you are correct based on the shape of the buttstock at least. Need to catch that episode.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jack944's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    1,664

    Default great detective work

    I have that on DVD-R. I will have to go back and look, Good observation. With that stock shape there is no mistaking it..

  4. #4
    Community Organizer Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    74,396

    Default

    That's an elusive pic for sure. Good eye. I don't know that I've been able to find a single good period pic of a 98/40 in use except for one, W-SS in the back of a halftrack on the Eastern Front.

  5. #5
    Senior Member jack944's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    1,664

    Default like to see

    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    That's an elusive pic for sure. Good eye. I don't know that I've been able to find a single good period pic of a 98/40 in use except for one, W-SS in the back of a halftrack on the Eastern Front.
    Any idea of what book that pic was in ?

  6. #6
    Community Organizer Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    74,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jack944 View Post
    Any idea of what book that pic was in ?
    Yep: http://www.amazon.com/When-brothers-.../dp/3920677064

  7. #7
    Senior Member jack944's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Yesss

    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I have that one. I am going to look now ....yes on page 281 !

    What rifle do you think the guy is carrying on page 335 top ? Cool pic on page 368 of guy with French rifle.
    Last edited by jack944; 03-13-2011 at 01:22 PM.

  8. #8
    Community Organizer Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    74,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jack944 View Post
    I have that one. I am going to look now ....yes on page 281 !

    What rifle do you think the guy is carrying on page 335 top ? Cool pic on page 368 of guy with French rifle.
    Jack, I believe it is the pic from the rear of a Sdkfz251 SPW and the WSS soldier is facing forward, but I believe it is clearly a 98/40?

  9. #9
    Thunda from down unda S/42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,165

    Default

    Can you scan the image? I don't have the book and been looking for period shots of G98/40's for a while now.

    Thanks.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Hi Mike,
    Dobry den, jak se máš?

    Nice pics but the best Eyes!!!! You are like Hawk !!!
    Nice nice
    Stan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •