Third Party Press

HMG american made STG reproductions. MSRP $1799? Coming in 2016?

It's NOT a Sturmgewehr for chrissake! It's a new made REPLICA that looks much like one. How dare they call it a Sturmgewehr? Picatinney rails, folding stocks, pistol version, 7.62X39, .223, 300 Blackout???
Not! Everymans rifle? Na.
Looks like nice machine work, but I'll for sure stay with my originals.
Not to bash the PTR's cause they are as close as you can get to originals.
Pete

I agree. If I want to go shoot .223, there's my AR15 or Steyr AUG

If I want to shoot 7.62x39 there's my AKM clone or SKS

It's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it, that to recreate a historical shooter like this requires the original caliber to get anywhere close to the real feel of what it was like to fire one of these, even in semi only configuration, because after all the originals did have a selector switch for semi only.

The other calibers can be fired in much less expensive guns. With exception of the Steyr AUG mentioned above, all the others can be had for around $600 base price and the SKS is still lower than that for most versions available. Paying all that extra $$ for something that cosmetically looks like something it is not doesn't make sense to me. That MG42 plastic dress up kit did not convert that Ruger 10/22 into a MG42. But hey at least it looked cool and was cheap to shoot right? Sounds more like something to get bored with later and sell off.

Wow,

I watched all three parts. It sounds like they know what they are doing.

I own an original MP44, a PTR44 (one of the few that runs) and the GSG STG 44. I might have to get one of these also.

I understand that the version in 8x33 is a clone with improvements. I just need to see some good photos of the prototype. They said that some parts are interchangeable, I wonder if the bolt is?

Just waitng to see one, I assume that they will keep photos close hold until the shotshow?

Pat

I own an original MP44, a PTR44 (one of the few that runs) and the GSG STG 44. I might have to get one of these also.

I understand that the version in 8x33 is a clone with improvements. I just need to see some good photos of the prototype. They said that some parts are interchangeable, I wonder if the bolt is?

Just waitng to see one, I assume that they will keep photos close hold until the shotshow?

Pat

From my understanding it is more like a MKB-42 bolt and less like a STG bolt. I believe other parts are interchangeable.

John.

bolts

From my understanding it is more like a MKB-42 bolt and less like a STG bolt. I believe other parts are interchangeable.

John.
I needed a MKb42 bolt for a gun that was missing that part. I reactivated the 42 for the owner. He found an early MP43-1 bolt and I had the rear, right forward of the locking surface, wire EDM'd to provide the shape needed to hook on the sear.
Worked fine. The bolts are actually the same except for the 42 having that hook shape. A 42 bolt would work fine unaltered in a MP44.
Pete

I needed a MKb42 bolt for a gun that was missing that part. I reactivated the 42 for the owner. He found an early MP43-1 bolt and I had the rear, right forward of the locking surface, wire EDM'd to provide the shape needed to hook on the sear.
Worked fine. The bolts are actually the same except for the 42 having that hook shape. A 42 bolt would work fine unaltered in a MP44.
Pete
Ok thats actually pretty cool. It was alittle hard for me to fallow exactly what was what.

John.

Pat

Pat -

I emailed them about actual pics and they said we could expect to see some in a matter of weeks. I am very reluctant to consider pre-ordering a rifle at $1800 based on a computer rendering, a few internal parts and what appears to be a resin printer shell in the videos.

For me, if it's produced in any caliber other than 8mm Kurz, the mags. may look too different for my appetite. That being said, I'm curious to see what the mags. will look like in 300 BLK - or if they're even 30 round mags. I was told in the email reply that we will be very surprised as to just how well the rifle looks compared to an original. If I'm going to consider buying a MP44 (that looks to essentially be a piston gun internally ...?) then for MY tastes, I would want the outside to be as close to the original as possible.

Bottom line is it has to work. I've invested too much dough in my PTR44 so it will run as close to 100% as possible. I am never doing that again.

As to dressing it up with rails, red dots, grips and what not ... hey ... to each his own. It's only money and it's YOUR money at that. Buy whatever makes you happy !!!

Doug

Show me the rifle

Roger that, it took me two years, and original parts to get my PTR44 to run.

Funny, I thought that gun makers made a prototype first? I also would like to see if it fulfills the comment that their design changes will make it more accurate? A match grade MP44 would be something😜.

I would get it in 8x33. Although, I would not mind the conversion Kit option in another caliber. The raiil seems like no big deal, since you can put the original site back on. Not sure why they did not just make it with a ZF4 rail?

I would really like an MKB42,

Pat

That's what I thought too. Don't they have to submit a sample to the ATF for approval?

Correct, is it just me or is there something about this project that just does not add up? The Elephant in the room is HMG has no history of manufacturing a Firearm.:googlie Maybe the whole project will be done on a 3D printer. lol

Correct, is it just me or is there something about this project that just does not add up? The Elephant in the room is HMG has no history of manufacturing a Firearm.:googlie Maybe the whole project will be done on a 3D printer. lol

LOL Perhaps it's a fishing expedition to determine people's interests before spending the $ on manufacturing the parts, etc. necessary to produce rifles ? However, I've seen similarities to that kind of thing in the past. Peak people's interests - take money (or not) - but don't produce any guns.

The fact that they are taking people's $ for pre-orders strongly suggests that guns WILL be produced.

Or how about that FG42 project from several years ago. Estes was the guys name, right? He estimated the finished product was going to retail for something like $4200, took payments from a lot of guys, got the prototype approved by ATF then told everyone sorry, it's going to cost $11k. At which point guys wanted their money back. But it had been spent. That's the story I heard. Somebody may know more.
I do recall seeing that prototype listed on GB some years ago.

Or how about that FG42 project from several years ago. Estes was the guys name, right? He estimated the finished product was going to retail for something like $4200, took payments from a lot of guys, got the prototype approved by ATF then told everyone sorry, it's going to cost $11k. At which point guys wanted their money back. But it had been spent. That's the story I heard. Somebody may know more.
I do recall seeing that prototype listed on GB some years ago.

Estes Adams has hand-made some spare FG parts for me - they are VERY well made.
I do remember the proposed rifle build, and people's subsequent disappointment when he threw in the towel - do not know if anyone lost money.

Looking forward to seeing how this MP44 reproduction pans out.

FG42/Estes Adams

I do remember the proposed rifle build, and people's subsequent disappointment when he threw in the towel - do not know if anyone lost money.

Looking forward to seeing how this MP44 reproduction pans out.

Curious as to if anyone knows the real story on that venture. I read somewhere that Mr. Adams was somewhat a victim of the actual promoter of the fiasco.
I just do not know and would like to.
Pete

funding

LOL Perhaps it's a fishing expedition to determine people's interests before spending the $ on manufacturing the parts, etc. necessary to produce rifles ? However, I've seen similarities to that kind of thing in the past. Peak people's interests - take money (or not) - but don't produce any guns.

The fact that they are taking people's $ for pre-orders strongly suggests that guns WILL be produced.

Someone with deep pockets would have to be funding this. The dies alone for purpose made mags would be no small expense to say nothing of those needed for the receiver shell. Then there is the handguard. No biggie? Not. Check the book STURMGEWEHR and see how many operations are listed for that part alone.
Perhaps there are better methods 60 years later but metal forming is metal forming.
Interesting if nothing else.
Pete

He also makes the FG-42 scope mount...I purchased one and they are also very well made. I think he sells under the moniker FG42man on ebay/GB.

Seems like a pretty straight shooter...dont believe he would be the type to purposely deceive..would be curious to the real story on that also.

I also purchased a Zf4 scope mount from Estes, and had no issues and was impressed with the quality of the product.

... Now all I need is a scope! HAHA (2 years later)

Edit*

Ok so I went back and looked at the video's, I was originally concerned about the aesthetics, but it looks like it will be very close. Still not gunna get one though I don't imagine.

Last edited:
They promised actual pics of the rifle last month. I haven't seen any. Has anyone else seen them beyond the 3D printer version of the upper in the Forgotten Weapons video... ?

Doug

There were completed parts in the video, but not a complete weapon - only the 3D printed one you mentioned.

Per the video, a completed example is supposed to unveiled at shot show.

Military Rifle Journal
Back