Third Party Press

HMG american made STG reproductions. MSRP $1799? Coming in 2016?

The shot show should be interesting then.... My opinions and expectations are well known. Hopefully I'm wrong, of course.

I watched the videos and was wondering if these are ATF approved. Also, have they tested these things yet or (once again) are we the guinea pigs? SMG did a LOT of testing and discovered heat treating is an art and can only be done correctly or it's dead wrong. I'm surprised they were able to hang on as long as they did while they worked out all the bugs to deliver a quality product. Due to watching the SMG FG42 saga first hand, I have serious doubts about this new company's claims and it's product.

I'm wondering the same thing. As I've posted before, I was told they'd have pics of a full functioning rifle last month and still nothing. Maybe they are waiting for the shot show to reveal it? Asking people for money before they can even show or deliver a working product rings memories of another venture where people paid for a rifle on a promise and eventually lost their hard earned dough with nothing to show for it. I am way too shy about paying for a rifle that isn't tried and tested after spending $1000s more than I should have on my PTR44 - which will be sent back to me sometime in the near future and finally be a 100% perfekt functioning rifle !!! YAY Pete !!! :thumbsup:

Doug

I'm wondering the same thing. As I've posted before, I was told they'd have pics of a full functioning rifle last month and still nothing. Maybe they are waiting for the shot show to reveal it? Asking people for money before they can even show or deliver a working product rings memories of another venture where people paid for a rifle on a promise and eventually lost their hard earned dough with nothing to show for it. I am way too shy about paying for a rifle that isn't tried and tested after spending $1000s more than I should have on my PTR44 - which will be sent back to me sometime in the near future and finally be a 100% perfekt functioning rifle !!! YAY Pete !!! :thumbsup:

Doug

Doug, after you get your "WORKING" PTR44 back from Pete it will be far better than any fantasy Gun HMG comes up with.:thumbsup:

Curious as to if anyone knows the real story on that venture. I read somewhere that Mr. Adams was somewhat a victim of the actual promoter of the fiasco.
I just do not know and would like to.
Pete

Estes did some work for me just before christmas for my Swiss PE-57, he is also well know in those circles. I talked with him, we did not get into the stg/mp as my interest is in finishing my PE-57. his price was fair and the workmanship was on par with Pete's
sometimes good people get caught up in bad deals, this can be seen on the numerous gun sites every year, unfortunately along with the con men and scumbags who seem to flourish in this hobby
jack

Hi All, Craig, Doug, : )

Can't say how this came about past it was almost last minute and such but with permission I will say the fine folks at HMG stopped by on their way to the Shot Show yesterday. And since I have been watching all the press about what they might be coming out with and having no more knowledge up until that point than anyone else I feel compelled to share! A picture to follow - if it ever makes it from my sons phone.....

First I have to say what a nice bunch of folks that seem to have a very solid grip on a huge project. I did not get to shoot the rifle but from watching them put it together from a bag of parts and handing it to me, and then looking over the stampings and the thought behind how it all goes together I have to say Wow! Actually there is way more than that to say but it will all start coming out after shot without a doubt. I can tell you I am no stg/mp44 expert so when you tell me it is missing this crease or rib etc I will not be able to argue but what I can say is it looks awesome to me - and feels good - feels like what I think feels right. I can say our shop would have never been able to pull this off at this level - ever.

Mac knows the business of making things and where to go to get things done right and it shows. And there is no doubt in my mind after talking to him, and seeing where they are already at, as to the level of commitment to see this through. They of course will have to have time to sort through any new weapon stuff - they may already have. And these guys don't give off any small outfit vib - this is no small time thing - looks like their intent is to build a bunch of these! Did I already mention there was more than one receiver in that bag just waiting to quickly be put together?

In closing I will say I have no other reason to post this than to share after my fortunate chance to do a hands on of their upcoming rifle. No I do not have all the info you will want - they will - we here at SMG don't know STG's. But once I decide on caliber I intend to own one woohoo!1.jpg

Rick

Last edited:
Hi All, Craig, Doug, : )

Can't say how this came about past it was almost last minute and such but with permission I will say the fine folks at HMG stopped by on their way to the Shot Show yesterday. And since I have been watching all the press about what they might be coming out with and having no more knowledge up until that point than anyone else I feel compelled to share! A picture to follow - if it ever makes it from my sons phone.....

First I have to say what a nice bunch of folks that seem to have a very solid grip on a huge project. I did not get to shoot the rifle but from watching them put it together from a bag of parts and handing it to me, and then looking over the stampings and the thought behind how it all goes together I have to say Wow! Actually there is way more than that to say but it will all start coming out after shot without a doubt. I can tell you I am no stg/mp44 expert so when you tell me it is missing this crease or rib etc I will not be able to argue but what I can say is it looks awesome to me - and feels good - feels like what I think feels right. I can say our shop would have never been able to pull this off at this level - ever.

Mac knows the business of making things and where to go to get things done right and it shows. And there is no doubt in my mind after talking to him, and seeing where they are already at, as to the level of commitment to see this through. They of course will have to have time to sort through any new weapon stuff - they may already have. And these guys don't give off any small outfit vib - this is no small time thing - looks like their intent is to build a bunch of these! Did I already mention there was more than one receiver in that bag just waiting to quickly be put together?

In closing I will say I have no other reason to post this than to share after my fortunate chance to do a hands on of their upcoming rifle. No I do not have all the info you will want - they will - we here at SMG don't know STG's. But once I decide on caliber I intend to own one woohoo!View attachment 113142

Rick

Sounds good! :thumbsup:

John.

I re-watched the video's yep not a identical /faithful reproduction but it has merit, seems utilizing the MKB gas system is superior quick barrel change seemed interesting, but increasing the trunnion size was not faithful and the propitiatory mags is not cool

Any one at the Shot Show?

I was wondering if someone going to the Shot Show could post some photos of the HMG STG.

Pat

I would like to see a side by side comparison of the two Guns. (HMG Stg/ MP44) Using HD pictures and or high quality video. Better yet a 3 way comparison with a PTR44.

From an Historical/ Mechanical perspective the HMG Gun is a Joke, however it may turn out to be a Good shooter perfect for the Video Game crowd who don't know or care about what a correct clone should look like.

The first picture is a screen cap from a Shot Show report showing the right side of H&M's gun, second picture is an original StG44.

Really was hoping that despite the liberties they took with the internals, the exterior would have presented a faithful recreation of the original stampings. Even the handguard looks all wrong.

Simplifying the contours was a huge mistake, IMO. Not sure if doing so will save a lot of money for them, but I know they've lost at least one sale.

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

I am NOT impressed //// perhaps they will tweak the gun but as it is, it represents wasted effor, IMHO.

All that effort to produce a crappy looking knock off.

perhaps they will tweak the gun .

I would think that any tweaking "would not" involve the sheet metal , that would require new dies(not cheap), and the outward appearance is the sticking point.

I'm thinking that the "not so picky" young ,casual, ww2 buffs that want an assualt rifle that is not an AR-15 will be a target audience.

I thought it was mostly milled, the receiver. Based on those pics, it certainly looks like it's got a clamshell receiver. Anyone can confirm?

One thing I hate is the finish color of the HMG reproduction not even close too the original color of the STG44.

Disappointed by the outward appearance. The CGI pics looked promising. Impressed that someone is actually making an MP44 type rifle in different calibers though. As to me wanting a rifle that is either an original or museum reproduction, the HMG rifle missed the mark IMO. They'll sell some to enthusiasts of some sort, but not many hard core collectors, reenactors or purists.

I'll keep my $1800 and add it to my SMG FG42 Type 1 fund instead.

Dog

Military Rifle Journal
Back