Third Party Press

SGX 44 value questions and maybe for sale

Luft1

Grumpy old friend of mine is short of money and is seriously thinking of selling his matching SGX 44. He just sent me several pictures this morning and wants to know what a reasonable selling price would be. I tried to load them here but they are jpgs and are waaaaaay too large to be uploaded: from what I can see, it looks to be in excellent condition. I have them in an email and can send them to you, or if anyone can "slim them down" please let me know and I can send them to you if you would add them to the thread.

Didn't give me a price range, but I do believe he is serious about selling it. I'm not particularly interested in it, to me bayos are just the pointy things I put next to the rifles in my collection. He would appreciate any estimates on value and if you are interested in it, I'd be happy to pass along any offers and your contact information to him. He has been collecting for years so I would suspect that they would have to be somewhat realistic, but he did say that he isn't looking for anything outrageous, just a decent offer. If you do want to check the bayonet out, please, please include your email address as once I pass your information along I'm no longer involved

Pics!

Nice piece.

Attachments

• IMG_4065 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4065 (Large).jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4066 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4066 (Large).jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4067 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4067 (Large).jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4068 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4068 (Large).jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4069 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4069 (Large).jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4070 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4070 (Large).jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4072 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4072 (Large).JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4073 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4073 (Large).JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 62
Great !!!

Great mint sgx 44, I don't know USA prices but In Europe from 400€ to 600€ . Thanks for sharing it

This bayonet was listed on ebay and sold on 24 November of this year for $882 as a "buy-it-now." It has changed hands a couple of times in the past and was once owned by a member of this forum.

Phosphate. That's my guess as a comparable asw44 bayonets in blue vs phosphate is where the value line increases. Plus the code looks cool? sgx....

... sgx bayo.......

..... hey;... i sold this bayonet with frog two years ago for $1200. it went really quick,... t

..... hey;... i sold this bayonet with frog two years ago for $1200. it went really quick,... t

One in that condition, probably a bit nicer, reached I think $875 on epay recently. It was advertised properly and auctioned for awhile, with perfect pics. I offered $650. It didn't reach the "BIN" price of like $950.00 or something for awhile.

One in that condition, probably a bit nicer, reached I think $875 on epay recently. It was advertised properly and auctioned for awhile, with perfect pics. I offered $650. It didn't reach the "BIN" price of like $950.00 or something for awhile.

Yes, as I mentioned in Post 6 above; this it the exact bayonet that sold on ebay as a "buy-it-now" for $882 (shipped) on November 24th. It started with a BiN of over $1000 which the seller reduced a couple of times.

'Course it really wasn't that long ago that examples in this condition were routinely bringing $1500 - $1650 ......

Interesting their selling prices have come down that much...collectors market saturated already?

I'm not sure. The generally economic downturn had something to do with it for sure. But I think there was also some diminished interest in these bayonets in general. For a time there was quite a bit of interest in the 1944 date bayonets in general and the rivet grips in particular. Partly fueled by some enthusiasts trying to gather all of the makers for that year. This seems to have peaked several years ago and the market has leveled out. The sgx pieces have always been of high interest but their desirability remains higher than their empirical rarity. I don't know if they will ever come back to that level of pricing which is actually quite unrealistic in my opinion. In reality, there are several other makers during 1944 that are much rarer than these. That said, the desirability vs. rarity comparison remains a wicked bitch .....

Military Rifle Journal
Back