Third Party Press

Mauser ES 360 on GunBroker

1914mauser

I hope I am not breaking any rules but I noticed a 7 day auction on GunBroker this morning for a Mauser ES 360. First let me make clear that I have no connection to this auction/item in anyway. I do have a modest collection of Mauser .22s and I have a copy of Speed's book on the subject so I can verify that the item being offered is a ES 360 even if it were not marked on the barrel, which it is. It has a 3 digit serial number and is currently in a no reserve auction. I have not posted a link so you will have to find it for yourself. This is the first ES 360 I have seen offered and outside of a book. I know there are many collectors here and I wanted to give everyone who might like to see one or have the opportunity to bid a heads up on this auction. Merry Christmas!

Regards,

I don't have my copy of Speed availiable to compare but the bolt handle does not look original, or what I would have expected, possibly altered for scope clearance?

Posting auctions

1914mauser,
Posting of active online or offline auctions isn't permitted. Forum members spend considerable time and expense developing sufficient expertise to build collections and an alert to a particular auction, I sure you'll understand, can be discouraging. Auctions that are closed can be posted.
-a
Ps Merry Christmas to all.

1914mauser,
Posting of active online or offline auctions isn't permitted. Forum members spend considerable time and expense developing sufficient expertise to build collections and an alert to a particular auction, I sure you'll understand, can be discouraging. Auctions that are closed can be posted.
-a
Ps Merry Christmas to all.

Aeisir,

As a moderator on this forum could you please post a link to where the forum rules are located. I have searched for them and would not of started this thread if I had found where it states that it is not permitted.

Thank you!

All I can say is wow. Auction over with final bid of $12,025! I was watching it from day one and never anticipated it would reach that level. Now that it's over can someone please tell us more about this rifle? More specifically, in my opinion the bolt is modified and the scope mount is too large (long) for the scope rail. Also, why didn't Mauser stamp the right side of the stock with their cartouche like the other .22 target rifles?

All I can say is wow. Auction over with final bid of $12,025! I was watching it from day one and never anticipated it would reach that level. Now that it's over can someone please tell us more about this rifle? More specifically, in my opinion the bolt is modified and the scope mount is too large (long) for the scope rail. Also, why didn't Mauser stamp the right side of the stock with their cartouche like the other .22 target rifles?

I was surprised about the final price too but I knew it was special. I agree that the bolt is not standard but the 360 was designed for the 1936 Olympics. All were customized to some degree. I do not know about the scope or mount other that I think they are period. I guess the cartouche was not added as these were special order only? I was expecting value in the 3-5K range. I am sure the seller is pleased. I would still like someone to point out where the forum rules are. I would like to be able to reference them in the future.

Regards,

Link to forum rules: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?70-Forum-Rules

6) Do not post ongoing auctions. You may post when auctions are completed but NO MENTION or promoting of auction items is allowed. Feel free to contact a Moderator by PM or email to discuss an ongoing auction. These Moderators have been picked for thier willingness to help the newer collectors. (*note- posting of photos from ongoning auctions is allowed, but no links to live auctions or auction numbers. This differs from Gunboards official policy).

Last edited by a moderator:
I expected it would hit about half of the final price, but still not too surprised. Likely 300 or fewer were made, and survival rate is anyone's guess. The bolt handle was obviously altered for scope clearance post-factory. Precious that the rear sight was not separated from this rifle and lost. The absence of a stock cartouche is not surprising due to this being very much a "specialty" rifle of very limited production. Beyond minor stock dings, this one survived quite well. Never underestimate the value of small bores. If an Erma KKW showed up at auction tomorrow, what do you think IT would sell for?
Steve

Lovely rifle but what a price - wow !
I wonder if the serial number, attributed it to a known shooter. Unlikely the bolt chop and stock modification would have been Mauser factory. The mounts are certainly post war. Still, if you've absolutely got to have it, then the cost doesn't matter !

Last edited:
The stock appears to be 100% factory, to include the recoil pad (albeit a bit deteriorated condition). The bolt handle modification is something I would suspect was post-factory work, performed to accommodate the post-factory scope application.
Steve

Military Rifle Journal
Back