Third Party Press
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BSW Serial Number Studies and Technical Data

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default BSW Serial Number Studies and Technical Data

BSW has arrived. Just in time for Mikes work.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

bruce, i have a r/c 1939 bsw. the barrel was replaced with an erma barrel and the serials on the barrel and the receiver were restamped.

you want the numbers on that?

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Bsw

If its marked BSW on the rec. shoot the data over.

Thanks,
    B.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

here you go:

the 3rd pic of the receiver looks like the original serial was 4423 and i'd swear the barrel was also 4423 also, which would beg the question as to why the restamp if they matched to begin with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are assuming it was German done? Why? It is far more likely it was done during the soviet-communist "reworking". That they felt the slaughter of the original finish and tossing original parts to the wind was inadequate.

There is no reason to assume this was done by the Germans, especially as this is not typical of period German reworking practice.

Quote Originally Posted by SimsonSuhl View Post
    You are assuming it was German done? Why? It is far more likely it was done during the soviet-communist "reworking". That they felt the slaughter of the original finish and tossing original parts to the wind was inadequate.

There is no reason to assume this was done by the Germans, especially as this is not typical of period German reworking practice.
    sorry, but "far more likely" doesn't constitute fact.

seems far less likely that the russians would have replaced the barrel because if that is the case, i'd tend to believe it to be the first russian captured replaced barrel i've ever seen, but then, maybe that explains the two "x's", which makes no sense to me.

Well, I see you are not quite on the same page.. the barrel was a German ordnance spare, probably replaced at a depot during the war. They probably numbered (and fireproofed) the barrel to the receiver at that time (using the original receivers serial).

However, in this case, I am not even sure the serial numbers under the overstrike are original (actually I am pretty sure they aren't), as they look far too apart and not quite right to me.

In any case, I hear Gunboards has a very knowledgeable moderator now, one that has sorted through several thousand rc’s, and he might have the answers as to why the communists-soviet reworkers might have done this to your fine rifle.

Well, I see you are not quite on the same page.. the barrel was a German ordnance spare, probably replaced at a depot during the war. They probably numbered (and fireproofed) the barrel to the receiver at that time (using the original receivers serial).

i'm not sure what you are inferring by "you are not quite on the same page..". do you mean that i'm not on the same page as YOU? You wrote "They....". who are you referring to, the germans or the russians?

However, in this case, I am not even sure the serial numbers under the overstrike are original (actually I am pretty sure they aren't), as they look far too apart and not quite right to me.

"Too far apart"? are you talking distance? are you saying that the visible numbers are a 3rd strike? i've looked at the numbers under a microscope, and would be happy to provide measurements as well as pics as i don't agree with that based on what i see in person.

In any case, I hear Gunboards has a very knowledgeable moderator now, one that has sorted through several thousand rc’s, and he might have the answers as to why the communists-soviet reworkers might have done this to your fine rifle.
    now i think i understand your implication by the statement: "you are not quite on the same page..", which i am interpreting now as since i don't agree with your opinions, i am wrong. is this a "newb" thing? sure seems that way to me since i'll admit that i don't know who did it, but would love to find out, and obviously, your aren't satisfied with my not accepting your opinion as fact.

you have replied to the thread on gunboards about this rifle;

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...15#post1659415

"No, it was a rifle from BSW (RR tells you this much), but been re-barreled obviously, so went through a depot or rework of some kind before the soviets did their magic on it...

Larger question is the serial from the top looks odd, not typical of BSW, possibly re-numbered, which is no biggie as it is an rc and no part would be original to the receiver anyway."

look, i'm not trying to be an ass here, just trying to learn. seems counterproductive to make assumptions, then have someone disagree with you and you seemingly post a reply that infers that they should go play somewhere else. and i can do that since it seems my responses are nothing but counter productive since i don't agree with you since i don't have facts to back up my opinions just as you don't for yours.

I do not care where you play, here or in traffic is equally agreeable by me…

As to whether or not you agree with my opinion is hardly the point? You have an opinion based upon your level of experience, and I have one based upon mine. It is for others to come up with their own conclusions who is right.

If the point is truly about learning about your rifle, then you might have a more productive experience if you take the rifle apart and show all its markings (barreled receiver) and keep an open mind?

As you see, I have no agenda here as I do not own or want to own your rifle, nor benefit in anyway if yours is authentic German or soviet altered.

Oh, and yes I did reply on Gunboards about this rifle, largely with the same result (you missing the implications of my post- that is wasn't German applied and you could tell just from the way the serialing is applied)

Quote Originally Posted by xwarp View Post
    look, i'm not trying to be an ass here, just trying to learn. seems counterproductive to make assumptions, then have someone disagree with you and you seemingly post a reply that infers that they should go play somewhere else...

I do not care where you play, here or in traffic is equally agreeable by me…

As to whether or not you agree with my opinion is hardly the point? You have an opinion based upon your level of experience, and I have one based upon mine. It is for others to come up with their own conclusions who is right.

If the point is truly about learning about your rifle, then you might have a more productive experience if you take the rifle apart and show all its markings (barreled receiver) and keep an open mind?

As you see, I have no agenda here as I do not own or want to own your rifle, nor benefit in anyway if yours is authentic German or soviet altered.

Oh, and yes I did reply on Gunboards about this rifle, largely with the same result (you missing the implications of my post- that is wasn't German applied and you could tell just from the way the serialing is applied)
    "here or in traffic".....

the above in bold contradicts what you wrote on gunboards:

"No, it was a rifle from BSW (RR tells you this much), but been re-barreled obviously, so went through a depot or rework of some kind before the soviets did their magic on it..."

see that part in bold?

i have an open mind, which should be pretty apparent since i have questioned where it was done, but, again, YOU seem to want to focus on the idea that YOUR opinion is right, and I am wrong because i am "not on the same page" as YOU.

you wrote: "You have an opinion based upon your level of experience, and I have one based upon mine. It is for others to come up with their own conclusions who is right."

again, another point that i am not ashamed of, that my experience with these is apparently not as vast and deep as yours, and since i recognize that, i don't think it's unreasonable to question your opinion, especially since it seems that you are adamant about throwing that in my face, without facts to back up your opinion. that is all i have been asking for, the "i'm a somebody here and you aren't." isn't good enough for me especially, again, when it appears that you contradict yourself.

i will definitely post more pics of this rifle. i have no issues with that. i find the damn thing intriguing. i am in this for info, not money.

now having thought about the serial, and you could possibly be correct that the last serial is the 3rd number since it is a replaced barrel, BUT, as stated, the serial below the new one i believe to match. now the only explanation i can think of is that the rifle barrel was replaced by the germans during the war. i don't know if barrel date plays into that or not. THEN, either the germans, the russians, or hell, even could have been the importers went looking for rifle #5826, could not find that one, but found this one and decided #5826 is now it's new number.