Third Party Press
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BSW Serial Number Studies and Technical Data

I see no contradiction in my opinion or posts. The problem has more to do with your interpretation of my comments.

Back to your rifle, do the additional pictures, and we can revisit your rifle, as I do have a couple thoughts about possibilities. Long shots, but I am a little curious whether the barrel is an ordnance spare or a salvaged barrel.

It probably is an ordnance spare, but when I looked at the pictures again I realized the barrel could be a salvaged barrel (I see a partial code, and date, but nothing that indicates this is 100% an ordnance spare). If there is signs of the barrel being used before, a serial number and fireproof under the wood, it might explain some of the inconsistencies.

I also have wondered why the serial was scrubbed, re-serialed, and then overstruck, but the nazi fireproof remained on the receiver?

None of these things are relevant to the rifles value in this BSW study, as the who and when the serial was altered is less important than it was done (to the study) but is curious all the same.

If you do more images of the markings we can take this further. If you can only come back with more nonsense that you are being treated unfairly, because of your lack of experience, you will be arguing with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by xwarp View Post

i will definitely post more pics of this rifle. i have no issues with that. i find the damn thing intriguing. i am in this for info, not money.

these are all the markings on the barrel. note the rear site base with 63's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well that confirms that it was an ordnance spare barrel, made by ERMA, and the code dates the lot to 1938.

Between that and the 0,2 there is little doubt this re-barrel occurred at a depot, and at such facilities the barrel is usually fireproofed and or serialed to match the host receiver.

There are no absolutes in such reworks or re-barrels, but it would be unusual for the Germans to alter the serial number on both the receiver and barrel in this manner, and I do not see a purpose it would serve.

I doubt this serial alteration was done by the Germans.

Based on my limited experience (next to Paul's)....I agree with Paul, seems very sloppy for something the Germans would do. I would think even a field level armorer would have neatly lined out the original s/n, and stamped the new one above or below it.

As paul said, the 0,2 on the shank proves this barrel was originally changed by the Germans, the 0,2 being the designation for a changed barrel. Too bad its an RC, there would have most likely been a stamp on the stock indicating the depot the repair(s) took place.

I just think the overnumbering is way too sloppy to have been done by the Germans. I could be very wrong, but that would be an educated guess. These rifles could have been through a myriad of hands post war, many of which did some really odd things to them....
    Last edited by pzjgr; 03-20-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

Default Advice

I have several bSw rifles I could supply info on if necessary. One 37, non import, missing many parts as it is very much an incomplete rifle but original with what remains. Missing bolt, floorplate and follower as well as front band and spring. I have a 38 and 39 rc rifle good for barrel and receiver data only needless to say.
    xwarp I understand your looking for knowledge and can only advise this. I have collected and studied bSw for many years and still cannot come within sniffing distance of the knowledge that SimsonSuhl has on these rifles. Although no one man knows all there is to know on bSw's, if I were to open the bSw door of knowledge, he would be standing more to the front of the line than the back. I have and still do rely on him for much of the info and advice on bSw/gustloff. You can bet he will give you non biased advice on these with no hidden agenda at all. A bit more patience always wins the day. I would offer help but your rifle is an enigma to my eyes but still is an original 1939 rifle produced by bSw actual, and is a rarity in that sense alone.

mow.

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    Bed on my limited experience (next to Paul's)....I agree with Paul, seems very sloppy for something the Germans would do. I would think even a field level armorer would have neatly lined out the original s/n, and stamped the new one above or below it.

As paul said, the 0,2 on the shank proves this barrel was originally changed by the Germans, the 0,2 being the designation for a changed barrel. Too bad its an RC, there would have most likely been a stamp on the stock indicating the depot the repair(s) took place.

I just think the overnumbering is way too sloppy to have been done by the Germans. I could be very wrong, but that would be an educated guess. These rifles could have been through a myriad of hands post war, many of which did some really odd things to them....
    what would this depot stamp look like?

Usually on the pistol grip portion of the stock, sometimes on the side, but it would be a stick eagle with various codes Mg for Magdeburg, there is a bunch of them, you'd have to do a search for "depot repair or rebuilds" and find the threads...

There are several internet resources for the Wehrkreis and HZa system but the below link will give you a general understanding of the organization. (if you click on the very top left title, it will take you to the source report and much more information is available):

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/tme30/ch6sec2.html

It also has a brief, and incomplete list, of the various HZa, some did not do rifle repairs, or at least not very many. They all specialized and they all had HNZa which they sub'd work too.

There is a British study on the HZa and Wehrkreis system, which is very much more detailed, but is not available on line. It details each facility in more detail, discusses responsibilities, specialties etc.

There sure were, I am tracking several dozen variations, not including those that are related (HZa Spandau alone has a dozen variations)

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    there is a bunch of them...

i have a BSW 1938 #7552 East German