Third Party Press

My VZ 24 German Modified with questions on the markings

OK, I have a VZ 24 purchased well over 30 years ago. I was looking for a nice K98 that I would shoot. At a large auction all the 98Ks went for more than I had. I did look at this VZ 24 and liked it a lot. I knew very little other than it was well made and being all matching it should shoot well. It was noted to have a "Deaths Head" marking but it was clearly stated sold as is with no statement it was correct. I was happy with the rifle and the price was in my range. It had a Duffle Cut that was not accepted well by most of the prospective buyers. It shot great and was very accurate and would shoot any 8mm rounds I had. It was all matching, no import marks, perfect bore and had a sling. It has been sitting in my safe for years and recently I found this forum and the information on German Modified VZ 24s was great.

The real question is, it the Deaths Head correct? It is found on the hand guard and on the bottom just in front of the trigger guard. I did not even notice the bottom mark until my first cleaning and it shows a wear pattern from right to left.

I started my modest collection over 30 years ago and I was very aware of forgeries. I was pretty sure my VZ 24 was correct but I was not an expect and just really wanted a nice looking 8mm 98 type rifle that I could should shoot with my friends. She has been wonderful to shoot and is in my top five for accuracy, but it made the most lovely sound hitting that 300 yard gong.

OK, I would like to hear what the experts say. I did my best to take pictures and this is my first attempt.

Attachments

• VZ 24 & SLING.jpg
    VZ 24 & SLING.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 168
  • VZ 24 Bolt & Rec.jpg
    VZ 24 Bolt & Rec.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 155
  • VZ 24 Floor plate.jpg
    VZ 24 Floor plate.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 155
  • VZ 24 Handgard ser#.jpg
    VZ 24 Handgard ser#.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 165
  • VZ 24 Handgard Totenkopf.jpg
    VZ 24 Handgard Totenkopf.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 176
  • VZ 24 Rear site.jpg
    VZ 24 Rear site.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 127
  • VZ 24 Rec.jpg
    VZ 24 Rec.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 155
  • VZ 24 Stock Mod.jpg
    VZ 24 Stock Mod.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 139
Hello Cheese,
Not seen an inspect stamped on a handguard like that and the safe presumption about SS markings is that they are not good. The rifle looks like a nice correct German modified Vz.24. Got pics of the other SS stock stamp?
Regards,
HB

It's interesting that the stamp on the handguard is exactly where it would be on the barrel.

I would love to see more photos.

I too have never seen this stamp in the wood hand guard /// Never say never, but I doubt it's originality, as period

Photo of marking on bottom of the stock

Here is the marking on the bottom of the stock. I tried to capture the wear pattern, but my camera is pretty old school. I have never taken the rifle apart. My experience in collecting was to be very wary and forgeries are rampant. I did not like the duffle cut but when I looked at it, the matching serial numbers, beautiful bore and nice wood I noted. I had never seen a "deaths head" and was more put off by a mark I was not familiar with. It was not listed in the description, but it was just a numbered list with very general information.

Attachments

• VZ 24 Wrist Totenkopf.jpg
    VZ 24 Wrist Totenkopf.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 154
Never have taken the handgard off

I have never taken this rifle apart. Kept it oiled and cleaned. Really I was a novice and just wanted a good shooting 8mm rifle. I have also been not keen to take rifles apart. My very first rifle was a Chilean Mauser in nice condition before took it apart, gummed up the screws and put marks on the wood. Since then I pretty much just did a general cleaning and oiling of my rifles after shooting. Reading the forum has been quite an education.

I would be hesitant to take this rifle apart without correct tools and clear direction. My skills in this area are not top notch.

You'll crack the handguard and likely bugger the band screw and bands at a minimum then Cheese. Leave it be. Folks not familiar with the Vz.24 shouldn't really try to take them down. The front band screw usually requires a special spanner tool for that purpose, which was designed to stop troops from taking them down. You did the right thing.

I've seen a lot of fake SS markings, but my gut feeling is these aren't fake. With that said, without others to compare it to it's a one off and will always be viewed with suspicion as marking wood with skulls is pretty easy based on what I've seen on fakes over the years. I'd like to see the barrel as well, but wouldn't suggest you break the handguard trying to get it off. They are fragile, and the metal clip that holds it on at the back can be very tough to remove without some heart flutters.

Ok, thanks for the info, after viewing some of the information on the forum, I would like to look for barrel markings, but as noted my Bubba skills keep my disassembly attempts limited. I picked up on the problems removing VZ 24 hand guards, and that barrel band looked difficult. I will leave it be for now.

Just saw this thread. I too think the SS stamps are period. If legit that's a really cool modified Vz24 used by the SS.

We'll never know though.

Military Rifle Journal
Back