Third Party Press

byf 41 LZA 2 rework

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
Original factory parts reused except bolt, firing pin, barrel and handguard. Stock is e/L, handguard is laminate but is numbered to match and the LZA / Luftamt reworking facility. Untouched piece with a nice original untouched sling. Barrel was gunked up with dried grease. A brushing and about 10 ballistol soaked patches and the shine about blinded me, perfect bore.

Attachments

• 98k byf 42 LZA2 all r.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 all r.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 all l.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 all l.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 259
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 mid r.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 mid r.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 mid l.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 mid l.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 bolt nos all.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 bolt nos all.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 269
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 bolt no.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 bolt no.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 237
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 band l no.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 band l no.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 band u no.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 band u no.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 brl and rec nos.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 brl and rec nos.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 buttplate no.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 buttplate no.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 219
more pics . . .

Attachments

• 98k byf 42 LZA2 firing pin nos.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 firing pin nos.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 fp nos.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 fp nos.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 handguard and bspring no.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 handguard and bspring no.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 handguard no.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 handguard no.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 handguard no close.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 handguard no close.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 LZA2 inspect mkings.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 LZA2 inspect mkings.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 stock eL mkings.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 stock eL mkings.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 tg nos.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 tg nos.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 135
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 (7).jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 (7).jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 143
HB, great rifle. Never saw one before. The font is the give-awy for the replaced parts? Were these taken off the field from rifles that needed repair?

Hello Gerard,
The Germans repaired and rehabbed their rifles just like every other country. Depending on the nature of the repair, it could have been done by a field level unit armorer, depot/HZA/LZA facility. The latter invariably show the stamping/inspection of the facility, in this case, LuftZeugamt 2. It was a Luftwaffe issue rifle to begin with (hence the e/L stock). So, that inspection on the new barrel tell us this, as well as the different font on the added parts.
Cheers,
HB

This is a nice rifle. Is the bolt body salvaged (ground-renumbered-reblued) or is it a factory spare? It looks like the former.

Rare stuff

Ham,

This hits a homerun on the luft and luft rework front. I request a sticky and a pic of the top of the receiver.

:thumbsup:

DK, looks salvaged to me too, and polished. Thanks Jack. Here is a receiver pic:

Attachments

• 98k byf 42 LZA2 rec brl mkings.JPG
    98k byf 42 LZA2 rec brl mkings.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 200
Hello Gerard,
The Germans repaired and rehabbed their rifles just like every other country. Depending on the nature of the repair, it could have been done by a field level unit armorer, depot/HZA/LZA facility. The latter invariably show the stamping/inspection of the facility, in this case, LuftZeugamt 2. It was a Luftwaffe issue rifle to begin with (hence the e/L stock). So, that inspection on the new barrel tell us this, as well as the different font on the added parts.
Cheers,
HB

Thanks HB, much appreciated, really nice rifle. I would assume these are not that common with the HZA/LZA inspection stamp. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice...
I especially like the walnut stock on a byf 41 which I am looking for.
If I saw this at a fun show, I would ponder that bolt.
Clearly not factory MO font, so then I can get myself into trouble.
This rifle is a good one to learn from! :hail:

You are right

Very nice...
I especially like the walnut stock on a byf 41 which I am looking for.
If I saw this at a fun show, I would ponder that bolt.
Clearly not factory MO font, so then I can get myself into trouble.
This rifle is a good one to learn from! :hail:

You are right on Bob about ID'ing the bolt font. This one separates the men from the boys.

luft rework

I like reworks as well. I found farb a 42/40 rebarrel with the more common luftampt/4
test proof. It was all MO less a few small parts. Looked like basicly a rebarrel. It was a heer rifle to start.

It's mostly an "holistic" approach to reworks and repairs. Many of them are simply a subjective judgment call. There is a great deal of risk involved and certainly not all agree. Most won't mess with them. Reworks, repairs, oddballs like this have been my main area of interest for some time.

I agree very much with your thoughts on reworks, salvages (Steyr & Brno 1944 recycled receivers), depot builds etc.. there is a good degree of risk in these rifles, but they are also the most interesting rifles we study.

Just the sheer number of variations, the numbers of different facilities, individual armorers, time frames, circumstances under which they did the repairs complicate the assessment of each rifle very much.

I think the most difficult thing regarding this assessment process is our inability to trend study these different variations. Normal production you can trend what is most common to a manufactures production, not so with reworks as they vary so widely due to facility, time and individuals doing the work.

This is a very nice example Craig, probably the nicest on file!

I like reworks as well. I found farb a 42/40 rebarrel with the more common luftampt/4
test proof. It was all MO less a few small parts. Looked like basicly a rebarrel. It was a heer rifle to start.

Yes, a nice one. When I get time I will take photos and post them.

Thanks guys. Paul, was LZA 2 Posen? I remember reading that in your MRJ or on one of your posts. Guys, Simson has contributed huge amounts of info on the HzA/Wehrkriess depot system. It is because of him and and MRJ subscription that I know what "Su" and "Kru" and "Jt" etc., mean :hail:

Yes Luftgaue II was HQ in Posen, - thanks for the plug!

I will attach a map, and I fully expect all the copyright protection for my picture, of this non-copyright item!

Just kidding.. the picture is of a map out of a US Army study, therefore has no copyright protection. Typically researchers and collectors attribute where they get things, and that is all that is required in this case.

Attachments

• LuftgaueMapLR.jpg
    LuftgaueMapLR.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 67
BTW- As you can see the map only shows the Luftgaue and Luftgaukommandos (these controlled schools, installations & units in their areas, much like the Wehrkreise system) within Germany and the protectorates. It doesn't include the Luftgaukommandos that operated in the theaters of operations. These controlled ground operations, airfields, units etc in the zones of operations.

The Luftwaffe also had several ordnance schools, though none specifically mention small arms specialties, most being flak related (many of these were in LG/4 incidentally)

Tks Simson. took it out of the stock today:

Attachments

• 98k byf 42 LZA2 brl  .02 close 2.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 brl .02 close 2.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 86
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 brl  .02 close.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 brl .02 close.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 stock hdgd nos..jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 stock hdgd nos..jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 trigger no..jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 trigger no..jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 98k byf 42 LZA2 sling mkings.jpg
    98k byf 42 LZA2 sling mkings.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 80
Awesome! I was going to ask but I thought you might have it in the safe already.. not to mention I get called a BC whore when I do.. not that it hurts my feelings much as it certainly has some truth to it!

BTW- what is the full code? I see the ERMA logo, the lot (235) and either 38 or 39, which is the date, but what is the steel maker?

It should be either Dö or Ru, both are known from this period.

ERMA made ordnance spares only 1937, 1938 & 1939, - so far documented. Most by far are 1939 dated lots. This circle EE logo was used only in 1938 & 1939, mostly 1939.

Err, correction- there is one 1940 dated "EE" ordnance spare, on a superman commercial build.

Tks Simson. took it out of the stock today:

I took those pics for you, it needed doing, because without barrel whoring how would we ever know? :hail: It's 38 and Ru.

Military Rifle Journal
Back