Third Party Press

Rare coded k98's

Hey, at least we don't have to ship guns to FFL's.... :thumbsup:

We can still ship guns from house to house, no middleman GunShop taking their cut along the way. (I think C&R Licenses are like this??)

Also, like other good Canadian members have already stated, we can walk in to our local Canadian Tire (think Target, but better) and purchase all the guns and ammo we want and all we have to do is flash our license (no recording of any information).

Nothing better than walking out of there with 2 full crates of SVT40's.... :banplease:

Also, since I'm a dual citizen, I get the best of both worlds when I head down to Arizona to constitutional carry and shoot full auto!

Thoughts about the G.98/40

I would like to get your thoughts on the G.98/40 which were manufactured in Hungary & have jhv on the receiver. Manufactured for the Wehrmacht as was the G.24 (t). Are these as collectable as I think they are?

Got one of the "rare" ones the other week as a RC - S/27.G - #6533 NLB. Average RC price. All parts EP'd matching. Stock is a laminate flat butt e/37. Have no problem with a RC to get this code. Added capture screws from my stash. Came with flip muzzle cover and reproduction cleaning rod; my reproduction sling.

t

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 50
Got one of the "rare" ones the other week as a RC - S/27.G - #6533 NLB. Average RC price. All parts EP'd matching. Stock is a laminate flat butt e/37. Have no problem with a RC to get this code. Added capture screws from my stash. Came with flip muzzle cover and reproduction cleaning rod; my reproduction sling.

t

:thumbsup:

Highest recorded S/27G as far as i know, others might have a higher recording, but this is late. What is the RR, by this range it should be well into transition to E/280, though E/132 does often hold the first position well into 1936. If you have had it apart show the barrel code also, these are usually Döhlen, a few Ruhrstahl, but rarely too interesting, the main interest (again) is the waffenamt (E/132 or E/280)

Got one of the "rare" ones the other week as a RC - S/27.G - #6533 NLB.

Some strong opinions indeed and not unwarranted.
I agree in the USA there is no reason not to collect all matching rifles or at least bolt MM rifles etc. However, as pointed out in other countries sometimes a K98 is a K98 even if it’s an RC or even a DEWAT. I admit that the majority of members are from the USA on this forum.
I have a broad collection of K98s many are RCs, Norge Captures, VOPO, Czech Captures etc. Some valuable info can be gleaned from RCs, especially serial number and barrel info.
I live in Canada, so all matching examples are far and in between and likely have to be imported at an exorbitant price due to a poor exchange rate. I couldn’t have one K98 for every 10 years of production feasibility if I imported rifles, however this was possible by grabbing any example as I could and replacing them as able.

I certainly understand that an RC is an inferior example, but IMHO it is still an example.

S/27.G....

Right receiver....3x e/280
Rear sight sleeve...3x e/280
Barrel code...Do22795-14, 3x e/280, K.

t

Attachments

• IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1722.jpg
    IMG_1722.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 14

I certainly understand that an RC is an inferior example, but IMHO it is still an example.

I tend to agree. I don't know if we do new collectors a disservice bashing RC k98s. Everyone has to start somewhere. I can guarantee you when i had 2 kids to put through college and a mortgage, i can't see myself running out and buying $2K examples. (they were $1K examples then) I would have determined this hobby was too expensive and went elsewhere. I started with RCs and moved up to better examples.

with all the talk and worry about the K98 hobby dying it feels like we push some junior collectors away when we say you can't collect k98s because you can't afford to play with real ones....

I brought welder1 into this hobby. He had RCs and was afraid to buy expensive K98s for fear of getting ripped off. I brought him to the forum and got him interested in the books. He now has a formidable collection of matched and bolt MM pieces. I never bashed the RC, i just pointed out where it stood on the spectrum. He sold those RCs at a profit to fund better pieces.

Heck I bought RCs for $300 in 2010. Now try to find one for under $500-$600. For a non collectable, they seem to appreciate and be collectable to someone.

Heck I bought RCs for $300 in 2010. Now try to find one for under $500-$600. For a non collectable, they seem to appreciate and be collectable to someone.

Yup. Israeli's too. They were and are still looked down on by some but I love mine for what they are and their history in their own right. That said there's a whole sub-cult on Gunboards who believe RC's to be fully collectible (for what they are) and even grade (not all facilities did equally good work) them. I can see that too a point but some of those guys are way beyond that. I've only sold one gun ever in my life and regret it still but I'm also certain I'd get a handsome return (percentage over time)

Also good on you for steering a new guy in the right direction. I've helped a few buddies evaluate pieces they've found where I could.

Valid perspective, though then (4 years ago) and now my views are primarily directed at the opportunists and scoundrels that promote, propagandize and swarm (like locust as Eric characterized so well) over the forums, laying waste to any forum that allows their "growth" unchallenged. Those that knowingly collect rc's I have no real issues with, I assume there is some rational reason one could come up with to center a collection around them, though at their current prices, which often rival bolt mismatchers or problem matchers (sanded stocks, metal finish issues) I can't see it... for rare makers like this S27G or the others discussed or place holders for specialized collectors of course there is a place for an rc as a substitute.

Main point is be an informed collector, if a totally refinished, near total mismatcher, often with extraneous or unrelated markings will suit your purposes or collection, knock yourself out, but generally, for at least 40+years I have been collecting, refinished and mismatched have generally equated to shooter and although am fully aware our society and "Kultur" have "evolved" (devolution), I see no reason to dive head first into the revolution... you may not be able to stop Robespierre (a lawyer) or Lenin, but why join them...

Some strong opinions indeed and not unwarranted.
I agree in the USA there is no reason not to collect all matching rifles or at least bolt MM rifles etc. However, as pointed out in other countries sometimes a K98 is a K98 even if it’s an RC or even a DEWAT. I admit that the majority of members are from the USA on this forum.
I have a broad collection of K98s many are RCs, Norge Captures, VOPO, Czech Captures etc. Some valuable info can be gleaned from RCs, especially serial number and barrel info.
I live in Canada, so all matching examples are far and in between and likely have to be imported at an exorbitant price due to a poor exchange rate. I couldn’t have one K98 for every 10 years of production feasibility if I imported rifles, however this was possible by grabbing any example as I could and replacing them as able.

Thanks, though there may have been a e/132 somewhere but glad to see all e/280! Helpful information for trends, Thanks!

S/27.G....

Right receiver....3x e/280
Rear sight sleeve...3x e/280
Barrel code...Do22795-14, 3x e/280, K.

t

One thing the rc has going for it, - supply... That is a necessity for promoters, retailers and opportunists. It is not necessarily the best reason to center a collection around an abundant supply. If you are over 30 you should realize that ultimately quality offers longevity, -who shops at the convenience store? Or the Dollar Tree? Sure you will have a cart full of crap that technically you can live off of but you will be a wheezing lardass in six months...

If you want to help young or new collectors then give them good, honest advice and get out of their way, if they go with Dollar Tree and Dollar General (convenience and or cheap) at least they did so informed... Everyone is tempted by shortcuts, as a kid I learned that taking a short cut that shortens the trip by miles, by cutting through thick woods (with a bicycle especially), isn't necessarily faster than taking the road which is couple miles longer...

Anyway, my issue is with the opportunists and promoters more than the decision, or even the discussions that often become tedious, the primary point is that this not become an rc discussion board, the merits and profit potential of rc collecting (the only profit potential is for flipers, promoters and grifters who tout nonsense about Stalingrad and Kursk...); most important of all is the free and open discussion (discord), you want to tout the rc and its merits, fine, but others are free to offer contrary views and opinions.

I'm still waiting for the rundown of codes and info on the 900+ barreled receivers in Norway. With 90% of the barrels likely 30.06 replaements. Maybe a 36' bSw or two? Rare G dates ? we shall see.

Well, a fellow forum member from the UK is selling his rare code (S/237 1936) RC which has been posted on here in past few months, and as I was looking for a miss-match RC for a low turret project, and this one is a good shooter, and has a lovely tiger stripe 37 dated Erma stock as well, and is cheap for a K98k in the UK, so as long as I can get another suitable free slot added to my licence this RC capture will be sitting next to my lovely Kriegsmarne/KNM Norwegian capture by the end of the year.

Military Rifle Journal
Back