Third Party Press
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: RESEARCH PROJECT - Mod. 71 and Mod. 71/84 - Craig Brown

Hey, thanks for the report!

Typically the inspection stamps related to the hardening of the receiver and the steps that detail the barreled receiver assembly and fireproofing, these are repeated on the barrel but can mean slightly different things. The stock stamps typically relate to subsequent steps in the rifles assembly and acceptance.

I will try and check Storz for any details for differences regarding the M71 series, but they are probably similar, but possibly more involved because of the nature of interchangeable parts development (more primitive in 1878 than 1884 or 1898 or 1935 etc... which translates to more hand work and checking for tolerances.)

Quote Originally Posted by dutch95 View Post
    Hi,
    Here are the details of my K.Mod.71:
    MAKER: Spandau
    DATE OF MANUFACTURE: 1878
    DATE OF ISSUE: N/A
    SERIAL NUMBER: 5219 (all matching except bolt stop washer)
    CALIBER: 11
    UNIT STAMP: N/A
    RMKS:
    C/FW
    Ladder rear sight missing (still searching)
    Ring front sling swivel
    Safety wing shows crude "F" (Feuer) in firing position and "S" in (Sicher) in safe position. Is it known where this inscription was used?

Question: I have tried to search for the meaning of the five crowned inspector markings, with no luck. I understand they are inspection markings that represent different stages of production. What production stages are they?

Regards,
    Hans

Attachment 169963
    Attachment 169964
    Attachment 169965

Hi Loewe, my pleasure, I'm happy to find so much information on this forum.
    Also appreciate the info on the inspection marks you provided me, that already really helps!

For the data base-
    K. mod 71
    made in 1879
    serial number 9484 (all matching)
    unissued (no unit stamp or date of issue)
    Spandau
    is there any reasons why it was not issued?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unknown why it isn't unit marked, most so far recorded seem to be... (such a small sampling the observation is pretty meaningless)

Does yours have an issue date, another date next to the 1879? Does it have the cyphered barreled receiver (crown/F.W.)

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Unknown why it isn't unit marked, most so far recorded seem to be... (such a small sampling the observation is pretty meaningless)

Does yours have an issue date, another date next to the 1879? Does it have the cyphered barreled receiver (crown/F.W.)
    It does not have a issue date, only a manufacture date.
    It has a crown above "FW" on the receiver and has many proof marks all over all with crowns above them.

Below are two links to a German website that may interest some here, - some that frequent this research thread.

Wolfgang has repetitively informed me that simple updating new reports is not enough (I routinely update these datasheets with new reports, generally several times a week), that I must be proactive in promoting this research... being a numbers cruncher and reader primarily, - solitary pursuits are my preferred activity - I neglect this aspect of research, but Wolfgang is certainly correct that for these research threads to be successful we must make them attract attention through promoting them.

Even a Neanderthal like myself could right clink and translate theses pages, so I am sure there are more inventive methods for high-tech collectors.

For those that do follow these research threads, it would be helpful if when you acquire a new 71, 71/84 or a variation that is covered in one of the other research topics (G88, K88, G91) that you add your data to the appropriate thread, not only does it add to the projects purpose, it brings attention to the project and might prompt further contributions. Often fellow collectors, Wolfgang especially, sends me links to auctions that I may not have noticed, egun in particular, these reports are essential for these projects to be successful. If you see a worthy rifle for sale, or own one, why not email or pm me the details so we can add its characteristics to the appropriate research thread? Given enough time and participation, these research threads can live beyond our involvement, if you are familiar with prior "research" or even Storz contributions, you can easily see the importance of these research threads for these obscure variations. While little is to be learned from G98 or 98k research threads, these subjects are rich with potential to further our understanding of them. It is almost comical the prior "research" done on these variations, in English, Storz is pretty superficial from the collectors perspective, basically some context to each variation. Trends work in addition to Storz context can make these rifles far more interesting and collectible.

Think about these research threads when you come across an example!

the Saxon border police also used modified K71, as you can see on the photo here:
    http://www.kukri.de/grenze1-2.html
    http://www.kukri.de