Third Party Press

RESEARCH PROJECT - Mod. 71 and Mod. 71/84 - Craig Brown

That's a nice example of an export ŒWG 71. These have German acceptance on the barreled receiver, but not the stock. Paul is still tracking them though, so thanks for the report!
Thanks for the headsup, I never go to Gunboards these days, I do not even have the log-in details... if someone can gather the details in the format of the research thread, Chris or I can add it to the thread, no need to lift the photos and post them here. The purpose is purely establishing trends of observed production, mostly ranges, breaks year to year, and various patterns developed during production (units, modifications etc..)

My 71/84 is 1888 Spandau 2326 with no regimental markings

Attachments

• IMG_20231123_123426.jpg
    IMG_20231123_123426.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Paul there is a H marked 71 Mauser on Gunbroker. It just went off the number is 1003172631. It is mostly matching, but the stock and buttplate.

Not as pretty as most of the others in here, but here's my WMO. I.G. Mod 71, 1878, C/W, SN 2894G, no unit markings.

Matching except for the bolt head and the trigger guard, which is one of the wartime steel replacements.

Attachments

• IMG_8083.JPG
    IMG_8083.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8084.JPG
    IMG_8084.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8085.JPG
    IMG_8085.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8086.JPG
    IMG_8086.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8087.JPG
    IMG_8087.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 17
Now that deserves its own thread.

Really? I never thought of it as too special, WMO's aren't easy to come by but they're not impossible either. Condition is pretty meh. Mostly I got it to try and round out my MWO collection.

GB pick up maybe two years back for $700.

edit: now the REAL challenge is going to be finding a WMO 71/84, or equivalent. A Turkish 1887 would also fill that niche as far as I'm concerned, although who am I kidding I'll end up trying to get both eventually. Still kicking myself for passing on a 1887 a few months back for $1.2k. I've got a pretty nice Spandau 71/84 as a place holder, but it's not the same.

Really? I never thought of it as too special, WMO's aren't easy to come by but they're not impossible either. Condition is pretty meh. Mostly I got it to try and round out my MWO collection.

GB pick up maybe two years back for $700.
Definitely worth it. The fact alone that it’s Wurttemberg accepted makes it worthy of detailed study. Plus it’s looks very original, I’d take more original over higher condition any day.

Hey folks, my addition for the database.

1888 Spandau 7726 (I.G. Mod. 71/84.) unit: none

My example has a mismatched bolt and a few mismatched screws (xx12, xx25, xx29, xx01).

Attachments

• Date.JPG
    Date.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Top Nocksform.JPG
    Top Nocksform.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Receiver.JPG
    Receiver.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 4
  • Buttplate tang-top.JPG
    Buttplate tang-top.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Buttplate.jpg
    Buttplate.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 5
Now that deserves its own thread.
I agree completely! WMO is quite elusive, 1878 only 3 recorded, one a German auction (which means one or two pictures), another Storz (which meager details at best..); really any WMO, even a wartime G98, deserves a group of pictures as even when common (like WMO/17) they often are interesting for other reasons.

I will have to do some catching up on updating these recent posts, been neglectful here dealing with personal drama common to all eventually, but a minimal amount of maintenance is needed here. I will try to update the trends on the relevant updates this week.

Military Rifle Journal
Back