Third Party Press

Rare bcd 4 with MG 15 barrel

jack944

The longest drought in my Mauser collecting has ended. This one is listed in the book by Mike and Bruce. Textbook down to the two little indents at the muzzle crown.
I don't think it has ever been apart..

Attachments

• bcdmg.jpg
    bcdmg.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 388
  • bcdmg2.jpg
    bcdmg2.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 395
  • bcdmg3.jpg
    bcdmg3.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 329
  • bcdmg4.jpg
    bcdmg4.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 393
  • bcdmg5.jpg
    bcdmg5.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 369
  • bcdmg6.jpg
    bcdmg6.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 375
  • bcdmg7.jpg
    bcdmg7.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 324
  • bcdmg8.jpg
    bcdmg8.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 331
  • bcdmg10.jpg
    bcdmg10.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 359
  • bcdmg11.jpg
    bcdmg11.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 323
Last edited by a moderator:
Rare bcd with mg15 barrel

more pics.

Attachments

• bcdmg9.jpg
    bcdmg9.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 164
  • bcdmg12.jpg
    bcdmg12.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 157
  • bcdmg13.jpg
    bcdmg13.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
just curious

I don't mean to pull a Solman, but....how do these shoot in general? are they more or less accurate then a standard k98 barrel?

That is a beauty! Congratulations on a rare one in such great shape! Would be curious if the stock channel is stamped with a small E18 just a few inches forward of the mag well cutout...

Nice one Jack! Did that come from Brocks? Mine is a 5 digit in semi kriegs trim. Unfortunately my stock was lightly sanded, the C and E/H are still sharp though.

Ps. Its an Mg15 barrel

LOL...too excited and hit the 3...now corrected

UOTE=my66coupe;144181]Nice one Jack! Did that come from Brocks? Mine is a 5 digit in semi kriegs trim. Unfortunately my stock was lightly sanded, the C and E/H are still sharp though.

Ps. Its an Mg15 barrel[/QUOTE]

Very nice Jack, your pictures do it far more justice with respect to the phosphate and stock. Textbook. Congrats.

Picture color

You are correct Ham.. Picture color can be tricky. Look at the stock picture here in full sunlight. Also realized I had a great toe jam pic...

Attachments

• bcdmg17.jpg
    bcdmg17.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 99
  • bcdmg14.jpg
    bcdmg14.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 100
  • bcdmg16.jpg
    bcdmg16.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 98
Here are some photos of it when it sold at Rock Island Auctions in 2006 I think. Is it me or has someone done some resto work on the front band (granted the auction photos aren't clear)? Actually, in the photos the front band looks numbered and had a 1 inspection code on the right side- maybe it was spotting? Still, a nice looking rifle altogether. The auction text:

Lot #: 1487 Estimated Price: $3,000 - $4,000
Rare Late WWII German "bcd" code K98 Bolt Action Rifle with MG barrel

Serial #: 89876 Manufacturer: Mauser
Model: 98K-Rifle Type: Rifle
Gauge: 8 mm Mauser Catalog Page: 311
Barrel Length: 24 inch round Finish: phosphate
Grip: N/A Stock: laminated
Description: This is a very nice example of a late WWII German K98 rifle as manufactured by the Gustloff-Werkes factory that was fitted with a surplus or rejected MG 34 barrel. To utilize these MG barrels the factory had to remove the barrel extension with the locking lugs and recontour the barrel to a K98 configuration. These rifles can be easily identified by additional step in the barrel in front of the receiver ring and the gas rings that are visible on the end of the barrel directly in front of the front sight base. The top of the receiver is marked "bcd" the wartime code for the factory over "4" for 1944 the year of manufacture. The right side of the receiver has a single Eagle over 749 Waffenamt, with a small Eagle acceptance proof and the Gustloff proof of a "1". The top of the receiver ring has a Eagle WaA749 Waffenamt and the receiver side wall is marked "MOD 98". The rear of the barrel has the serial number of the rifle and a single Eagle firing proof. It has the late war sheet stamped metal barrel bands with a milled unmarked trigger and stamped floor plate. It has a correct late war laminated bcd style K98 stock with a single small "c" proof on the lower section of the buttstock with a cupped buttplate. It is a complete with a blued cleaning rod, front sight hood and a reproduction sling
Condition: Near mint overall with 99% of a very late original gray phosphate finish with edge and high spot wear overall with some spotting of the finish on the front band and sides of the exposed barrel. The stock and handguard both have a nice matching wartime finish with minimal handling marks with one small area on the left side which may have been a stock defect or separation of the laminations. The bolt assembly matches the rifle.

Attachments

• KBA1012-T-CU21-L.jpg
    KBA1012-T-CU21-L.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 87
  • KBA1012-T-F1-L.jpg
    KBA1012-T-F1-L.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 84
  • KBA1012-T-F2-L.jpg
    KBA1012-T-F2-L.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 85
band

I think this will clear it up ....yes it is spotting...that is the problem with pictures. Hard to see but 1 is there.

Attachments

• bcdmg15.jpg
    bcdmg15.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 90
  • bcdmg18.jpg
    bcdmg18.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Jack, my initial reaction to the bands when you contacted me about this rifle was exactly as Farb is experiencing. I haven't discussed this with him. Digital pictures can distort, either way, particularly with respect to German phosphate finishes. I've seen attempts to replicate German WW2 phosphate and it looks "thicker" and of an odder color than the original finish.

Last edited:
Yeah, those photos match the auction pics exactly where the other ones looked different. Phosphate is hard to photograph, too much flash it looks light, not enough it's dark. Hard to find these in any condition now, people are all over them.

Yeah, those photos match the auction pics exactly where the other ones looked different. Phosphate is hard to photograph, too much flash it looks light, not enough it's dark. Hard to find these in any condition now, people are all over them.

Yes..Ham and I discussed that. Several of my pics were taken with different light to show how phos. can look grey, green, or shiny depending on light.

I always look for imperfections, spots like this one has when I look at phosphate guns. The finish should never look uniform.

Congratulations Jack on a Great looking and tough example to find . Best Regards .:thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back