Third Party Press

1871/84 bayonet

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Another piece I picked up at the SOS show. Wanted a nice one for my 1884 Mauser that was made in 1888. The bayonet was made by Solingen in 1875 and the scabbard is force matched too the blade. You can see two other unit numbers that were crossed out on the scabbard. Neat I think. This was the only example I could find at the SOS show that had a matching scabbard plus didn't see many of these bayonets for sell either. Brought my 1884 Mauser rifle down too the show and the bayonet mounts perfectly so that was another big plus.

003.jpg 012.jpg 004.jpg

005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

008.jpg 009.jpg 010.JPG

011.JPG 013.jpg 014.jpg

S71/84 bayonet

Craig is referring to this bayonet.

Attachments

• Dscn1747.jpg
    Dscn1747.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 52
But was the early 1871 Mauser bayonet used on the model 1884 pieces at all? Or were they used only when they didn't have enough of the S71/84 bayonets too go around.

Bayonet S71 was used mainly on S1871 rifle, or later on S71/84.anyway the scabbard was used by 129IR which was raised 1881, so most probably by this unit with Gew.71, the 31.italic R means later using by Reserve unit.S71 was used too on Gew.88 in period of WW1 by second line units.b.r.Andy

Thanks for the bayonet info Andy appreciate it. Even though this bayonet is not 100% correct for my 71/84 rifle I still think it goes well with it. Plus if I ever get a nice 1871 Mauser one day I can just change the bayonet over too that piece. :biggrin1:

Thanks for the bayonet info Andy appreciate it. Even though this bayonet is not 100% correct for my 71/84 rifle I still think it goes well with it. Plus if I ever get a nice 1871 Mauser one day I can just change the bayonet over too that piece. :biggrin1:

resurrecting this old thread...many era photos show common use of the mod71 bayonet with 71/84's and GEW 88's so I think its perfectly legit...Id love to find a mod71/84 short bayonet myself but they seem to be unobtainium

Not that hard to find I have several from cheapish to expensive, i.e. early basic to much rarer sawback I even have one ex Saxon used in Africa with DOA markings, and that one is definitely not cheap

Not that hard to find I have several from cheapish to expensive, i.e. early basic to much rarer sawback I even have one ex Saxon used in Africa with DOA markings, and that one is definitely not cheap

I must be looking in the wrong places....lots of Spanish mauser bayonets but they don't fit...

That is a real nice 71/84 around my circle you don't find them that often love the proof all over it and regiment marks I had a similar one but was told it was a dress model I don't know enough about them to know it was in a flimsy dress frog with trodel many pictures of these in wear in WW1. timothy

Military Rifle Journal
Back