Third Party Press

K98k AX 41

coltgrabber said:
Here is one of my rifles with data. I would appreciate comments, good or bad, on your thoughts.
The stock is laminated with remaining markings mostly worn down, however both pieces have numbers inside the barrel channel matching the rifle. There is an “H” barely discernible on the lower right side of the butt. There appears to be a surface, hairline crack on the upper right wrist area that doesn’t go through the wood and is only visible through an extremely close inspection. The butt plate is cupped. There is a sight hood, unmarked cleaning rod, and a reproduction Mauser leather sling. The remaining blued finish is mostly present with age patina and the barrel has a bright, shiny bore with no pitting or corrosion. There are no markings that reflect an import.

The full serial number 3706a, the last two numbers 06, and/or the Nazi Eagle Code 280/37 are located on the:
• Receiver Top: 3706a
• Receiver Right Side: Nazi Eagle Code 280
• Barrel Left Side: 3706a and Nazi Eagle #280 right side
• Barrel Right Side Below Rear Sight: Nazi Eagle #280
• Bolt Handle: 3706a and Nazi Eagle #280 on bottom
• Extractor: 06
• Magazine: Follower 06 and Nazi Eagle #280
• Safety: 06
• Cocking Piece: 06 and Nazi Eagle #37
• Firing Pin: 3706
• Bolt Release: 06
• Butt Plate: 3706a
• Stock Upper and Lower: 3706a Matching
• Stock Exterior: No markings visible except for faint “H” denoting Army
• Stock Disc: Code #280 Not visible
• Recoil Lug Disc: Nazi Eagle #280
• Floor Plate Milled: 3706a and Nazi Eagle Code 280
• Floor Plate Base Milled: 3706a and Nazi Eagle Code 280
• Trigger Guard Large Screws: 06
• Rear Sight Ladder: 06
• Rear Sight Slide: 06
• Rear Sight Base: Nazi Eagle #280
• Upper Milled Band: 3706a and Nazi Eagle #280 on right side
• Lower Milled Band: 3706a and Nazi Eagle #280 on right side
• Bayonet Lug Mount: 06 and Nazi Eagle #280 on right side
• Front Sight Base: Nazi Eagle Code #37

There are no markings on the cleaning rod or band spring but none are listed in the reference book, “Backbone of the Wehrmacht”, by Richard D. Law.

coltgrabber said:
Thanks for all the input guys! It’s now a moot point, however, since someone from another site made me an offer to buy I couldn’t refuse. Won’t say how much but it was considerably north of 2 K. I hadn’t planned on selling the rifle but the buyer said this was the nicest AX 41 he had seen in a while. Thanks again!

coltgrabber said:
First off, a couple of comments from folks off this forum doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the bolt on this rifle. I appreciate the input but a few negative remarks based upon a few photos doesn't automatically put my rifle into a suspect category. I also resent the insinuation from you that I would knowingly sell a rifle with "problems". At 75 this isn't my first rodeo nor does anyone being a member of this forum automatically make them an "expert"! This isn't the buyers first rodeo either and from our conversations probably knows at least as much as anyone else on this forum about K98k Mousers. He disagreed with the comments on this thread and is ecstatic about being able to own it. That's all that's necessary! The issue is closed as far as I'm concerned.

What a mess.

He wanted some good old back slappin' yee haww "awesome rifle, worth a mint" comments. When they turned into "what a floater" we know nothing and this forum isn't worth it's weight in crap. What a shite bird. So this turd monger finds out his rifle is humped up and decides that nobody here knows anything, so why post it?

He's old, he was buying Mousers when we were in diapers, so our analysis is null and void. Typical old codger. I hope he gets stuck with it, or loses his a$$ on shipping it back and forth 13 times, every time someone buys it and post it on a forum we can direct them to this thread.

Mike this rifle is "100% matching and has no import markings" as he has stated. But whats funny is the as is inspection period no refund or exchange. But with only four pictures posted on the site and all the info of his rifle posted it must be true. Or is it bullshit.

onebigpileofshit.png bullshit.jpg

I have an ax 41 too, 'cept mine is RC.

Same serial though.

attachment.php

Attachments

• axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 321
I'm thinking Provenance through magic would be good too. Hambone where you at make a good story with this rifle. I will personally will pay you your asking price of $30 too tell me its real. Also would like too see signed paperwork telling me its real too. You told me you guarantee 100% of this though magic.

Here is a prime example of what you are dealing with,

Mind you, I tried explaining to a gentleman politely why he should not bid on a humped up gun. I used reason. I used facts. I tried logic. All to absolutely no avail.

Here was his reply to me.

Dave, what I am finding out so far is everyone has an opinion and little proof of there opinion is given if at all. The 4 books I have read now on the subject for the most part are the same. I wrote the author of the last book I bought (very nice fellow by the way) and he also has no proof of what he puts in print for some statements. Even if you have a items a family member you trust brought back from the war and you say to yourself this rifle is authentic, it may not be as manufactured depending on what alterations were made by the users or a field repair unit cannibalizing other implements. Unless someone has verified documentation of internal factory goings-on, who is to say what the factory implemented for a short time during production in dyer times. Most all of the goings on were war time secrets. The people the might have known are dead or of poor memory for decades now for the most part.

Joe

Now mind you he has read 4 whole books on Mauser rifles. The gun was a turd bnz 44 by "The Gray Blanket"

Look at this retarded eagle in the stock

Attachments

• pix136870512.jpg
    pix136870512.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
So he's saying you have too find factory paperwork for your rifle too make it right and original? How many of the factories were burned down or destroyed after the war was over! How the hell do you that. So if I find a mint condition AX41 from a collector with bring-back papers putting the two pieces together. They are both 100% original and correct. This guy would say alas but where is the rifles paperwork from Erma with the inspection officers info and tag on it.

But like you said Dave he read four books.

So he's saying you have too find factory paperwork for your rifle too make it right and original? How many of the factories were burned down or destroyed after the war was over! How the hell do you that. So if I find a mint condition AX41 from a collector with bring-back papers putting the two pieces together. They are both 100% original and correct. This guy would say alas but where is the rifles paperwork from Erma with the inspection officers info and tag on it.

But like you said Dave he read four books.

Basically he's trying to say anything IS possible and there isn"t way to say it isn't right. That used to be the standard pitch at gun shows before the internet, and good well researched , unbiased books like Mike & Bruce have produced, became available.

It's the old "well at the end of the war there, the Germans [ the most anal people in the world ] tossed all the rules out the window and nothing mattered. 2 words come to mind... Bull shite.

I gave up trying to save him, and said enjoy collecting.

I think the quotes heard over the years at gun-shows is the best Dave.

"Well the Germans did this due too those pesky Russians knocking at the door you know."

"You weren't alive how would know whats right and whats not right."

"I'm an expert and your not that book you read don't mind anything."

"You will never find anything like it again."

Need I say more.

....Look at this retarded eagle in the stock

Saw this too. At least he TRIED to line up when he overstamped but just didn't quite get it. The numeral font looks awful on some pieces and I can see the old numbers underneath where "someone" tried to grind the old numbers off. Probably had something to do with those pesky Russians knocking at the door. :thumbsup:

They see what they want to see - it's in some people's nature not to be receptive to any difference of opinion.

I think you were too rushed to close that thread, he just wants to know what the difference is in the eagle stamps.

Interesting....I got into it a bit on another rifle he posted on gunboards, I think.

He pulled the same arguments and the old man card...I'll have to look for it and post it up...

This guy is a con artist, trying to get info to "correct" the guns, then sells them, IHMO...

Even when you patiently explain the reasons a gun is a piece of crap, some folks just do not believe you.

http://ww2weaponsforum.com/showthread.php?15345-No-Bueno-bnz-44

I thought you were a little quick, then I put the eagles over each other in Photoshop and the differences jump out immediately. What better to do when slammed at work then learn how to make your first .gif. Sorry the wing got cut out, no idea how that happened. Click on my link, it looks white, but its a .gif. I am not a photoshop master, but it gets the point across.

Attachments

• Eaglesslower.gif
    Eaglesslower.gif
    38.7 KB · Views: 53

Military Rifle Journal
Back