Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st K98 - DOU 44

Default 1st K98 - DOU 44

I'm new to the board and milsurp collecting. I just picked up my first K98k today. It is a DOU 44 that I found at my local Gander Mountain and am hoping it was an ok buy.

Serial number on the left side of the barrel is 4498 gg, which I believe makes it a late 1944 production gun from Bystrica. Wa80 marking above DOU on the receiver ring. Lxr marked follower that is stamped and blued. Magazine housing marked byf with Wa135. No markings on the trigger guard.

No cleaning rod or bayonet lug. The firing pin disassembly disk is in the stock. No serial numbers on the floor plate or barrel bands. The rear sight has two digit "98" on both the base and leaf. No import mark that I can see, no RC number on the stock, and no markings peened.

The bolt is a mismatch. It is a straight handle bolt in the white that appears to be from a Vz.24 or other Czech rifle. Serial number is 2526H3, and it has a rampant lion on the knob. It has circle Z stamps on the safety flag , the cocking piece, and the bottom of the bolt handle. It is also marked S3 on the bottom of the handle.

Pictures attached. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments.

Best regards,
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like it has some potential. If you post more it will let you post more photos.
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAR View Post
    Looks like it has some potential. If you post more it will let you post more photos.
    Thanks! I'll try to get some more pictures up. The tang screw is frozen so I couldn't get it out of the stock to check for more markings under the wood line and on the stock. The hand guard isn't numbered and feels very brittle/fragile.

Default More Pictures

All:

Here are a few more pictures. On disassembling the bolt to clean out all the old grease, etc., I found circle Z marks on the sleeve and the firing pin as well. On looking more closely at the stock, I found what looks like an e stamped on the bottom of the wrist area (see attached picture).

Overall, I'm worried about the byf trigger guard because it looks like there is an "8" or a "B" that shows up faintly where an old serial number might have been (see original post for picture). I also think that the "98" stampings on the rear sight leaf and base look odd.

Any thoughts on this one overall?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

The 98 on the rear sight looks like dou type font to me. I can't say what the "B" or "8" mark is on the TG. I believe the trigger guard and floorplate as well as the bands would be not numbered by the time of gg block. Hard to get details from the overall photo but looks correct from whats shown, except for the bolt. What do the band screws look like?
    Last edited by Stan; 03-29-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks, Stan. The band screws are simple wood screws. The front band screw looks older based on its patina. The rear band screw is much brighter and looks like it may be a later replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by PAD141 View Post
    Thanks, Stan. The band screws are simple wood screws. The front band screw looks older based on its patina. The rear band screw is much brighter and looks like it may be a later replacement.

The dou rifles with the semi-Kriegsmodell stock are usually found with recycled VZ 24 stock disc type spanner screws that had the two holes in the head. A slot was added to allow a flat head screwdriver to be used. The original screws are often lost and replaced over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    The dou rifles with the semi-Kriegsmodell stock are usually found with recycled VZ 24 stock disc type spanner screws that had the two holes in the head. A slot was added to allow a flat head screwdriver to be used. The original screws are often lost and replaced over the years.
    The front band screw may be the type you describe. It has a rounded head, is blued and at first glance looks like a chewed up flat head screw. I couldn't get a good picture, but it could be the type you described. The lower band screw is definitely a later replacement. It has some patina on the screw head, but the body looks like it just came out of the bin at a hardware store.

I still can't get the tang screw out of the trigger guard, so I think I'm at a standstill on any more information. I definitely don't want to do anything to damage the rifle. Suggestions welcome on any next steps. Thanks!
    Last edited by PAD141; 03-29-2016 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Typo

The upper band screw sounds like it might be original. When the slot was cut through the spanner holes it can present a "buggered up" appearance.
    If the rear action (tang) screw is the one stuck you can soak a little Kroil, or other penetrating oil from the top and let it do it's thing for a day or so. The threaded end of the rear screw can be seen in the top of the tang just behind the rear receiver bridge in the bolt raceway. Make sure you are using a good set of gunsmithing screwdriver tips that fit properly to help prevent any damage to screw heads.

So far looks and sounds like a solid semi-Kriegs bolt mismatch. What did Gander Mountain take for it? They are generally not known for low prices.