Third Party Press

byf44 ZF41 white glue Kreigsmodell L block

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
If you know me, you know I have an illness for byf44 L blocks. Whatever, we all have our weaknesses. I picked this up from the grandson of a vet. He had no interest in it, I even looked up his grandad and honesty he didn't even know his name (it was an odd last name and he was from Utah, I've lost that info now as I had no other items to connect to him). It's amazing to me how these things hold little value to the extended families, and one reason we get a crack at them. I paid fair market value for it and he was happy.

This is a pretty late byf44 L block, has the broken firing proof seen on some early byf45 rifles. Not as common to have white glue Kriegsmodell stocks either. The lower keel proof is so clear it's amazing, stock is dry and rough and untouched by bubba, good thing nobody decided to fix it up all these years. Anyway, here's the pics, Dave Roberts has been asking for them for a while so here you go Dave. He'll be mad that I didn't put a scope on it for the photos- I have one, but figured it would be more fun to annoy Dave by not putting it on there.

By the way, I've heard rumors for years from overseas collectors that the late ZF41 program was intended for Volkssturm issue. It sounds plausible, as the Heer had discontinued the ZF41 program early in 44 due to the fact that it's basically useless. I'm going to take this opportunity to tell my story about these ZF41 guns.

Many years ago, when I reenacted, we had a German vet that we befriended. His name was Hans Peter, he was in the 5th SS Wiking Division. He was seriously wounded in Cherkassy and convalesced in Germany for a year after, before finishing out the war. Anyway, he was a signals guy but was front line and saw much combat. He earned IKII, IKI, silver wound badge, and 7 tank destruction badges. Every year we would get together and he would answer any stupid question we put before him. We'd ask him all kinds of stuff, like did you ever see a Tiger tank, did you wear dot44 camo (to him all camo was exactly the same, he didn't see patterns only green or brown camo). Anyway, one of our unit "snipers" brought a ZF41 rifle to show him. He asked, "Did you ever see any snipers like this?" Hans laughed out loud, and with no hesitation he said "That is no sniper rifle. That is the rifle you give to the worst shot in the company, so in a firefight he is at least useful!" So there you have it, if you see photos of a guy with a ZF41 look closely, his buddies are laughing at him.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC_0037.jpg
    DSC_0037.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 325
Mike what a beauty bud. I know you have a soft spot for any Kreigsmodell though lol. It does surprise me that I hear this more and more how grand kids will sell grandpa's old guns without a second thought. Kind of sad really. But at least we collectors will treasure them and enjoy them.

Zf41

That is a great looking rifle. Also, a real cool story. I wish I could have met your friend.

That is a great looking rifle. Also, a real cool story. I wish I could have met your friend.

I tell you, he was a very unique guy. Very tall, over 6ft even when he was in his 70's. He was the perfect specimen for the SS. One day at the SOS I'll have to retell his stories. One of our guys recorded them, maybe I could get them from him if they are still around.

Hans was not a fanatic Nazi either even though he was SS, he was busted down in rank several times for womanizing and drinking. He was lucky though, his uncle was a very important person in the SS Police and got him leniency more than once. We asked him why he chose the SS - he said the SS guys got all the girls. Really. He really enjoyed talking with other veterans from WW2, US vets. We would have get togethers and old enemies would share stories.

Here's a pic of Hans, only one that exist. I believe the other photo is his uncle - to the right of Himmler reviewing the SS Police detachment in Prague. I can't verify if that is him but Hans pointed him out in a similar photo from this sequence.

Attachments

• hans.jpg
    hans.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 191
  • hans uncle small.jpg
    hans uncle small.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 183
That is absolutely fantastic Mike! Stunning rifle and a great story to go with it.

I like that white glue km stock. Astrawerke bolt?

I agree. Beautiful example. Pretty close to a time capsule.

**link added to Picture Reference**

Last edited:
Mike what a beauty bud. I know you have a soft spot for any Kreigsmodell though lol. It does surprise me that I hear this more and more how grand kids will sell grandpa's old guns without a second thought. Kind of sad really. But at least we collectors will treasure them and enjoy them.

It IS sad. And unfortunately more common. No thought or cares of the service or story. Great news if it lands in the hands of a true collector or preservationist though.

..he was busted down in rank several times for womanizing and drinking.... - he said the SS guys got all the girls. Really..

Great story that's eerily familiar. I love hearing stuff like this. And a beautiful rifle to boot!

You were pretty fortunate to have heard stories and had a perspective from the other side. Beautiful rifle.

That is an amazing rifle and I love the white glue. Great vet stories too. It is interesting that the "give the ZF41 to the marksman story" may be wrong and it was given to the worst marksman instead.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this Mike. Nice to see an undinked with example. A really nice rifle.

I picked up a sporterized l block zf41 just like yours. Nice to have a refernce.

Have to agree with all the others who replied it is an Awesome ZF41 . :thumbsup:

Honestly it would have been much better seeing it complete . Mike told me today he posted pics without the the Scope just so he talk smack about how he did it just to bust my balls . But thats not the truth he just wanted to talk smack . :moon:

Could some of these been issued without the scope late in the war? Does it show any wear marks from a scope when you obtained it.

K98k-Zf41 byf44 63105 l

Indeed, very beautiful rifle!
I also have a K98k-Zf41 byf44 L block white glue Kriegsmodell. Not nice as yours, the stock is in bad condition.
And the gun is deactivated. (Note the cross-sword marking of the converting company.)
Anyway, I like ZF41 no matter who laughs at it!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• s-pic160501.jpg
    s-pic160501.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 60
  • s-pic160502.jpg
    s-pic160502.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 66
  • s-pic160503.jpg
    s-pic160503.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 57
  • s-pic160504.jpg
    s-pic160504.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 51
  • s-pic160505.jpg
    s-pic160505.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 57
Indeed, very beautiful rifle!
I also have a K98k-Zf41 byf44 L block white glue Kriegsmodell. Not nice as yours, the stock is in bad condition.
And the gun is deactivated. (Note the cross-sword marking of the converting company.)
Anyway, I like ZF41 no matter who laughs at it!:thumbsup:

Does not the crossed swords mean it was Captured by the British ?
Best Regards

Does not the crossed swords mean it was Captured by the British ?
Best Regards

I have checked the meaning of the crossed swords marking again and found out I was a bit wrong. It is the official marking of British inspection of deactivated firearms. Not the marking of a company. I could not find info on the marking on British captured weapons, so if you have any please let me know.

Military Rifle Journal
Back