Third Party Press

Penal unit Soldbuch

Peter U

Staff member
Today I'll show a Soldbuch I recently acquired, it is a bit of a special one but before I go the personal story of the soldier I will tell the story of the unit he served in, Hitler's strangest division.

Like in most armies around the world, those with criminal records are excluded of army service, Nazi Germany wasn't any different but in April 1942 the German army was desperately searching for men, the "Blitzkrieg" against the Soviet Union had not only failed, the army also had suffered terrible losses and it was clear the war wasn't going to be over soon.
And it was during this desperate search that the German government changed their conscription laws, from now one all those that had served/or were serving a prison sentence of less then six years could be called up for army service but not only petty criminals could now be called up to serve, also those detained in concentration camps under the protective custody laws and those declared morally unfit to serve in the army by the Gestapo became potential conscripts.
The local draft offices went to work immediately and between October 1942 and April 1943 11.800 men that previously were found morally unfit entered military service, enough to form an entirely new division.
About 2/3 of these men were common criminals such as thieves, black marketers,...etc the other 1/3 were those that were under scrutiny of the Gestapo: members of the communist party, former members of the international brigades that fought in the Spanish civil war, ex French foreign legionnaires,...etc.
It was also decided that these men should be kept together in one unit with officers and NCO's that had good military records; because the large amount of communists in their ranks the army didn't see it as a good idea to sent this newly created unit to the eastern front, where it was easy for them to desert and join their fellow communists in the partisan army, thus it was decided to sent them to Africa and so the 999th Light Africa Division was born.
At the end of October 1942 training of the new recruits started in Heuberg; to train and motivate these inmates the carrot and stick method was used, the carrot being that a promise was made that if they served honourably on the front for six months they would have their criminal records erased.
Not many took the carrot, 1/3 of them had seen Gestapo prisons and concentration camps from the inside and they knew perfectly well what the Nazi regime was capable of and they were far from willing to risk their lives in combat for Nazi Germany.
The stick was that all those that tried to desert or wouldn't cooperate would be executed; already in December 1942 the first soldiers were shot by a firing squad in front of the ranks (the CO of ASR962 filmed one of these executions with his pocket camera).
In January 1943 they transferred to Belgium to a barrack camp near Antwerp to complete their infantry training, there another seven soldiers were executed by firing squad, another four were guillotined in Brandenburg prison because they refused to serve because of religious reasons.
Mid February 1943 they were transferred to Southern France, here they came in to contact with the French communist resistance, the so called maquis, now the communist could work together with their French party members and organize desertion and sabotage, this of course let to more executions.
At the end of March 1943 parts of the 999th Division were transferred to Tunisia were they were put in the frontline in Kairouan, Heidous and Djebel Dardyss; despite that some units fought indeed well, their were also reports of soldiers (mainly communists) deserting to the allies. The communist resistance wasn't capable of organizing mass desertions but growing number of individual desertions made the German HQ issuing orders to take harsh measures to prevent further desertions: in case of desertion to the enemy one of every tenth soldier should be executed, also they got serious doubts about the usefulness of this type of penal unit in combat, as a result the remainder of the 999th Division after the capitulation of the DAK in May 1943 was transferred to the Greek islands were an allied landing was expected.
In Greece more soldiers deserted and joined the local partisan units, eventually in October 1943 the politically unreliable +/- 2.000 men were removed from the unit and transferred to non armed units of the OT and used as labourers.

Kurt Gläser (°1916) a lathe operator from Chemnitz, was a small guy 5ft1 that had lost two fingers of his left hand, he was one of the first members of the 999th Division in November 1942.
After a short stay with the staff company of I/Afrika Schützen Regiment 961, he joined the 8th company of ASR962.
Mid February 1943, when his unit arrives in Southern France he is issued a rifle, bayonet, spade and a MG cleaning kit and on April 14 1943 he lands in Tunisia, where he will end up in allied hands.
Their is a Russian army stamp of 1946 in his Soldbuch so I presume that after the war he returns to the Soviet occupied zone.

Not much entries in this Soldbuch but once you know the history of his unit it makes it a very special one.
A nice detail in his Soldbuch is the page glued on the inside cover, it explains how he must report himself in case he lost his unit and not only does he need to report back asap he also needs to account for every day he was lost with a written statement made by an officer or senior NCO that explains his absence.

Attachments

• DSC09310.jpg
    DSC09310.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC09311.jpg
    DSC09311.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC09312.jpg
    DSC09312.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC09313.jpg
    DSC09313.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC09315.jpg
    DSC09315.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC09316.jpg
    DSC09316.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC09317.jpg
    DSC09317.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC09318.jpg
    DSC09318.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC09319.jpg
    DSC09319.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC09320.jpg
    DSC09320.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 38
extra images of the Soldbuch

Attachments

• DSC09321.jpg
    DSC09321.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC09322.jpg
    DSC09322.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC09314.jpg
    DSC09314.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 37
A very special soldbuch Peter!
Thanks for the previous explanation! Great!
Congratulations for having this one in your collection.

Their is a Russian army stamp of 1946 in his Soldbuch so I presume that after the war he returns to the Soviet occupied zone.

After the war he simply went home. The Soviet marking is stamped for the military commander for the city of Chemnitz. (Хемниц). Soon to become Karl Marx Stadt.

"Went through check by order of GSOV number 42. Military commander city of Chemnitz."

Whatever GSOV was?

Attachments

• DSC09314.jpg
    DSC09314.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Damn, what a tough unit to be assigned to. Executing their own must have put an incredible fear into the men assigned to these units. Great history lesson. Thanks

After the war he simply went home. The Soviet marking is stamped for the military commander for the city of Chemnitz. (Хемниц). Soon to become Karl Marx Stadt.

"Went through check by order of GSOV number 42. Military commander city of Chemnitz."

Whatever GSOV was?

Thanks Pisgah,

Last weekend I tried to decipher the stamp with the aid of online translation programs I found that it was a stamp used by a military city commander but I had problems with Chemnitz.
It all makes sense of course, he just went home after he was released from an allied POW camp.
I wonder if he was one of the common criminals or a communist in his unit, but I will never know the answer most likely.

Cheers,
Peter

Today another Soldbuch of "Hitler's strangest division" found its way in to my collection.

Herbert Lasarzewski (°1912) a metalpress operator, listed in his Soldbuch as "o.glauben", ohne glauben, an entry not often found in a Soldbuch.
Because he was an atheist I tend to believe he was a communist and thus prosecuted by the nazi regime; in December 1942 he wasn't any longer morally unfit to serve in the WH and drafted in the 5th company of Afrika Schützen Regiment 962.
After his training in Heuberg and Antwerp, he landed in Tunisia on April 12 1943, shortly her after he was taken POW.
In May 1946 he was released from the POW camp and returned home.
Not many entries in his Soldbuch but his story sure is an interesting one.

Attachments

• P2020863.jpg
    P2020863.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 13
  • P2020864.jpg
    P2020864.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 13
  • P2020865.jpg
    P2020865.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 11
  • P2020866.jpg
    P2020866.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 10
  • P2020867.jpg
    P2020867.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 13
  • P2020868.jpg
    P2020868.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Peter, I always love reading these write ups. You do fantastic work piecing everything together to make a very interesting read for us. Thanks!

I got the "Time-Life History of WW2" series of books published in 1978-1983.
In it they wrote about the Maquis in France, saying how brave they were to fight the Nazis. There was not one word written about them having communist ties. Maybe this is an example of "If my enemy has this guy for an enemy, this guy is my ally".

I got the "Time-Life History of WW2" series of books published in 1978-1983.
In it they wrote about the Maquis in France, saying how brave they were to fight the Nazis. There was not one word written about them having communist ties. Maybe this is an example of "If my enemy has this guy for an enemy, this guy is my ally".

The reason to create this unit with a mix of criminals and communists simply lays in the fact that the German army needed men, cannon fudder, to fill the ranks after they heavy losses they sustained in the debacles in Russia and in the North African dessert.
In 1943 also the Waffen SS steps up his recruting campaign, they drop their racial standards and allow everyone to join their ranks, even Muslims.
Back to the 999 unit series, every country has his precentage of criminals, people that are excluded from military service because they either are in prison or have served time in prison; Germany under nazi rule was different in this department, they had a way higher precentage of morally unfit men because of their political repression in the 1930's, they had detained all their political opponents such as communists, social democrates,union leaders, jews, French foreign legion veterans,....etc; the jews for obvious reasons couldn't serve but all the others that had a criminal record because of their political believes were put infront of a commision, if they weren't an inmediate danger for the nazi state they were now declared morally fit to serve in a penal unit.
Of course this plan failed miserably, the men drafted in these 999 units didn't want to fight and died for nazi Germany, the nazi state was their enemy; we can't forget that the "political" soldiers in the 999 units all were detained for a certain time in a concentrationcamp, they weren't naive, they knew exactly what the nazi's had in mind with them.

The resistance in western Europe came in many different forms, their wasn't one resistance, it was a wide mix of people and organistations.
You had all kinds of non armed resistance such as intelligence work, escape lines, illegal press,...etc and you had the armed resistance the men and women that targetted the Wehrmacht and even more those that collaborated with the Germans.
Those that took up arms were in most cases communist inspired organisation or groups, in France usually known as the maquis, in Belgium as the armed partisans and in Holland as the strong arm gangs.
I write inspired because these groups were indeed all founded by the pre war communists, for example those that fought in the Spanish civil war against Franco, most of these early resistance fighters didn't survive the war, even by mid 1943 they were almost all gone; but their organisations kept on living and growing now they had their ranks filled with those that wanted to fight against nazism not so much because of their communist believes but more because of their hate towards Germany and the nazi collaborators.

The resistance fighter that does intelligence work one day, aids downed allied airmen another day and goes out to blow up a railroad at night didn't really exist.
This kind of resistance fighter is a Hollywood creation, or a fictional novel caracter.
Most groups kept to themselves and concentrated on their business.
A good example is that the armed partisans in Belgium, the most important group of the armed resistance, wasn't interested in aiding allied airmen, the organisation leader gave instructions to their local groups not to interfer with these allied airmen, because it wasn't worth the risk.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back