Third Party Press

Kar 71 Bolt Stop Screw Thread

PJ1946

Still searching for a bolt stop screw and washer but was wondering what the thread size was in case I can use something similar as a stopgap measure. Anyone able to help? Many Thanks in advance

Still searching for a bolt stop screw and washer but was wondering what the thread size was in case I can use something similar as a stopgap measure. Anyone able to help? Many Thanks in advance

I made one for an 1871 rifle, which has probably the same screw as the carbine. I searched around for bolts (machine screws) that would fit from various junk boxes. I eventually found a small, coarse threaded (I think) bolt that worked, and I turned the head down in my lathe to the contour of of the same screw in another m71 rifle. I then cut the thread back enough to fit the mating piece with the washer. I simply turned a new washer on the lathe.
I will be where those rifles are next week, if you can wait until then for a definitive answer on the screw thread I can maybe give you the specs.

I made one for an 1871 rifle, which has probably the same screw as the carbine. I searched around for bolts (machine screws) that would fit from various junk boxes. I eventually found a small, coarse threaded (I think) bolt that worked, and I turned the head down in my lathe to the contour of of the same screw in another m71 rifle. I then cut the thread back enough to fit the mating piece with the washer. I simply turned a new washer on the lathe.
I will be where those rifles are next week, if you can wait until then for a definitive answer on the screw thread I can maybe give you the specs.

Many Thanks That would be great.

The thread is the same, but the screw head and washer are different in design. The washer wasn't interchangeable on my two.

I think I might know someone who might have the screw and washer (and many other parts)

The thread is the same, but the screw head and washer are different in design. The washer wasn't interchangeable on my two.

I think I might know someone who might have the screw and washer (and many other parts)
That would be outstanding and much appreciated if you could track that down.

I replied via PM, but will put the photos here for others consideration.

As I said in PM the screw does look too short, though fits, matches wear and patina of stop (and bolt it is from) and holds it on securely.

I have compared it to stop and screw of a standard infantry rifle...

image3.jpgimage2.jpgimage1.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpg

I feel complete

Many thanks to UVF Gew.98 an un-numbered Screw and Washer arrived today making this Kar 71 complete. UVF Please check your PMs. A splendid example of transatlantic communication and assistance in our love of these old weapons. Thanks Again

Attachments

• IMG_4733.jpg
    IMG_4733.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 10
Very good to see her complete! Very glad to help (sorry for being a bit slow responding to PM's - notifications are linked to an email I don't use very often!!)

Military Rifle Journal
Back