Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bnz 43 single rune

Default bnz 43 single rune

Testing out a few new photo settings so I pulled out this bnz43 single rune to take pics of (don't think I ever did). This is a pretty cool rifle- the bolt is from a G29()! Everything else is typical bnz43 single rune- Radom receiver, Steyr barrel, unnumbered small parts. The stock has been stripped but not sanded as you can see the E/623 proof at the wrist clearly.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrfarb; 04-12-2011 at 08:11 AM.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

She's a beauty. Thats a fantastic example. Very crisp. When you see a speciman like that, you can visualize the workers putting it together.

Thanks for posting pics.

Very interesting bolt. I have not seen reclaimed parts on factory guns this early. Is this an oddball or is this characterisitic of rune rifles?

Have you been able to date this one? I assume this was assembled sometime later in '43?

Yes, late 43 at least. As to reclaimed parts, I don't think this bolt was reclaimed, I think it was never used.

Default ss contract and single runes

well, I guess I'll make the question into another question. I have seen a few of these latley and wonder this. The ss contract and the single runes are very similar rifles. They share alot of the same traits. I assume they were assembled in the same place?? I also noticed some are numbered on the barrel and some on the receiver and some both?? Maybe I just cant keep them all straight in my head. I held an ss contract that could of been a single rune if it were stamped with the rune marking. I know Herr Farby keeps a tight handle on all this stuff and I'm sure he can answer my question of a question...By the way Farb I like the new photo layout !!

There is a pattern the developers if you follow bnz in general, and the time line for army production and SS contract/single rune follows the exact same time line (by dating SS contract and single rune guns with barrel codes).

It does appear there is no difference between SS contract and single rune production. I'm pretty sure they are the exact same gun/variation actually.

So- late 43 serial was on receiver for bnz in single rune AND army production. In early 44 (seemingly after the huge bombings in Feb and April) the serial moves to the barrel on single rune AND army production. Lots of other similarities between army and single rune production (firing proofs, etc). Early single runes have serial on trigger guard and unnumbered bands and floor plate. 44 date single runes have serial on floor plate and bands with unnumbered trigger guard (like army contract). It's all pretty easy to follow if you look at enough of these guns, no real mystery to them.

Some points I have noted to date-:

1 -Very few Steyr produced (over sized markings) receivers marked bnz43 with a single rune. They do exist though, and are legit, just rare. Most are Radom small bnz43 like the one I posted.
    2- I've yet to see a Radom receiver (E/77) gun built as a single rune without the rune, I mean no SS contract bnz4 Radom receiver guns. They may exist, but I just haven't seen one yet.
    3- I've yet to see an authentic Steyr produced (over sized markings) receiver marked with bnz44 and a single rune. (Well, I saw 1 and it has double rune markings that look legit, I can't figure that one out, but it's a q block).

All speculation at this point as I haven't collected enough data to prove anything.

I gotta get me one of those

I believe a board member has a large font bnz43 ss cont. SN 5689....might make for an interesting comparison...

great pics too!
    Last edited by Bigdibbs88; 04-12-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    It does appear there is no difference between SS contract and single rune production. I'm pretty sure they are the exact same gun/variation actually.

So- late 43 serial was on receiver for bnz in single rune AND army production. In early 44 (seemingly after the huge bombings in Feb and April) the serial moves to the barrel on single rune AND army production. Lots of other similarities between army and single rune production (firing proofs, etc). Early single runes have serial on trigger guard and unnumbered bands and floor plate. 44 date single runes have serial on floor plate and bands with unnumbered trigger guard (like army contract). It's all pretty easy to follow if you look at enough of these guns, no real mystery to them.
    I'm actually interested to see this in writing. Not too long ago, at a local show, I was talking with a fellow collector about an SS contract piece. We were talking about the old two production line scenario (where the SS guns were produced in a separate line or even a specific run). The way the numbering changes isn't consistent with that theory. We pondered if rune rifles and SS contract pieces were "rejected" from standard production so then sold to the SS. The lack of the final acceptance proof would lend to this theory; and, now knowing that the SS production is concurrent with Army production may also indicate that they were simply not to Army standards?

Quote Originally Posted by erin_go_bragh View Post
    I'm actually interested to see this in writing. Not too long ago, at a local show, I was talking with a fellow collector about an SS contract piece. We were talking about the old two production line scenario (where the SS guns were produced in a separate line or even a specific run). The way the numbering changes isn't consistent with that theory. We pondered if rune rifles and SS contract pieces were "rejected" from standard production so then sold to the SS. The lack of the final acceptance proof would lend to this theory; and, now knowing that the SS production is concurrent with Army production may also indicate that they were simply not to Army standards?
    Don't get too carried away and take this as gospel as these are just observations meant to start some conversation.

One data point- none of bnz production from about February to December of 44 had a final acceptance proof on top- not Army or "SS" production. So, throw the whole final acceptance theory out. Second, I don't think these single rune guns were factory seconds so to speak, but rather built from good quality parts same as Army contract guns were. Well, at least later ones- some real early bnz43 single rune rifles lack firing proofs!

I think the real answer lies in comparing Army contract and SS contract rifles from the same time period (ie by barrel codes). It will take a lot of work and examples to do this, but you may be able to show they were perhaps all made in the same location? I don't think that would surprise me. Or, it may be that certain aspects were, such as test fire proofing. It makes for good conversation, but without serious study it's all acedemic.

Default yes all in fun

This is just alot of us thinking out loud. There is you're example and two others right now on a certain auction site I wont mention. Then another I saw over the weekend.. I wish I had jotted down some info on it. 4 didgit no letter block un-numbered bands with numbered t.g. and floorplate. No stock proofs or receiver proof. Heavily chattered receiver and triggerguard loop. The owner was aware somewhat of it's origin but not 100%. I hope at some point to be able to snag it. { also I thought these rifles all fall into a couple serial ranges with "no" alpha suffix} ???

Well, in a short time of digging I found 4 legit single runes and recorded the serials.. 6432,7087,7325,7331. one rifle is a turd built up on a legit barreled receiver. It falls in the range and features are kinda correct.. less the bad parts that give it away..
    Last edited by mauser99; 04-12-2011 at 09:14 PM.