Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bnz 43 single rune

Yeah, there is a really bad one on Gunbroker right now I think and it's bid up over 1,000 bucks already.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Default bnz's

these are some borrowed pic's from public sites. Showing some of these single runes for comparison only..{no harm was brought to these rifles} Sorry one is not a single rune. it's an ss contract similar to the one I looked at. chattered receiver with no e/77 proof or any proof for that matter. Another thing that sorts these out is the major difference in the firing proofs. A batch of them observed with the worn out proof that shows up alot on the army contract..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mauser99; 04-14-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Default bnz's

a comparison side by side of a single rune Radom e/77 receiver top and the totally blank ss contract receiver.. The machining and the markings are totally different. So steyr had in-house receiver as well and maybe didn't mark them??

these two single runes are roughly six didgits apart. They use two different receiver's ?? One may be blank the other an astrawerke? Not enough data on either. One has the bnz the other bnz. The '43' has a different depth to it as well..

Four Runes in a row. Here are four know good bnz43 single runes already disscussed. There are two distinct types. bnz. & bnz we know farbs is an e/77 radom receiver. The other two I have no data on. Seeing clearly on the two bnz. receivers it's really clear in one photos the rune is a single struck stamp. The other two especially on farbs item the rune is clearly made up of different hand stamped segments. The stamp showing a defined taper to it. Is this a clue of two different sources or just two types of stamps ? We are assuming these are all from the same run.. Were the runes pre-applied ??
    Last edited by mauser99; 04-16-2011 at 05:45 PM.

I have a contract BNZ44 that is e/623

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default bnz43, really a 44 ??

this might be an example of what captain Farb is talking aboot..This is a blanko bnz43 receiver no letter block But, a possible bnz44 in disguise?? I thought this to be a bnz43 ss contract but the more I study and look at the features it's different. The biggest thing being the serial number placement. Moved from the receiver to the barrel. Also the lack of serial on the t.g. and then the floorplate gets serialed. It seems like in 1944 a few of the makers switched their serial placement from receiver to barrel an then back again. Or from barrel to receiver?? Just an odd observation..

This rifle has later features than the bnz43 ss contract and a lower serial number. So I must come to the conclusion it's being made in the first no-letter block in 1944 ??
    Last edited by mauser99; 04-14-2011 at 01:28 PM.

I'd like to see the barrel code on this one Wayne. Another good way to date these is by the firing proof- as they get later it loses definition. This is a post 43 one from my studies though.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Where do '43 bnz SSZZA4 depot rifles fit into this equation?

PM
    You have two lives; the life you learn with and the life you live with afterwards.
    Original keeper and frosch for a K98k sling; can be Yugo
    Dad; 12/18/1938-1/17/2014

Default bnz 43

sorry farb, this was another auction rifle with limited pic's.. serial is lower than the other examples with later features IE stamped t.g. and bands Also a white glue stock.. This has the worn out proof with no bottom. The receiver at least shows both sides with complete lack of proofs. So maybe this is a no letter block bnz44 in reality? This might be a good lesson to correctly id'ing an ss contract bnz43. When did steyr switch from serialing the the receiver to the barrel? And maybe switched back. I honestly have only owned a couple bnz43's and have none right now. All were straight up army rifles.
    I find it interesting these three runes being so close in serial numbers show two different receiver types. Also the variation in the rune itself.. Food for thought and further research.

Question sszza4

Quote Originally Posted by plymouthmauser View Post
    Where do '43 bnz SSZZA4 depot rifles fit into this equation?

PM
    Not sure, Serial # on barrel. maybe an astrawerke receiver? look for the 1 on the right side. The serial on the receiver was added by the importer. This version lacks any fire proofs which I assume the e/sszza4 takes the place of the test-proof ?

This variation falls into its own catagory. But the serial range falls after this batch of runes..So do they fall into no letter block catagory??? Is there a range running from
    0-9999 of these rifles?? More info is needed.

Restored RC.

Astrawerke receiver.

and rune

Barrel code: 41 Ru and WaA623

PM
    Last edited by plymouthmauser; 04-15-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: barrel code
    You have two lives; the life you learn with and the life you live with afterwards.
    Original keeper and frosch for a K98k sling; can be Yugo
    Dad; 12/18/1938-1/17/2014