Third Party Press

bnz 43 single rune

sszza4

I have only seen a few of these. Most if not all share similar traits. I think all I have seen have had the astrawerke receiver. So steyr used at least 3 different reciever types. This rifle if all orig would have had a bolt with etched serial numbers.

I think someone has a map showing all the depot locations and the location of this depot was included?? I know it had all the luft depots..

Most of these rifles and some army rifles have been observed with a Rune on one of the smaller parts. Triggerguard and rear sight tube being the most common. I saw one with a rune on the floorplate but, it's of questionable origin..

Sszza4

stunning rifle bruce !! Mike c. has it's twin. It would be interesting to put them side by side. This one falls before the batch of single runes posted. So do these have their own serial run ??? More questions of a question.

stunning rifle bruce !! Mike c. has it's twin. It would be interesting to put them side by side. This one falls before the batch of single runes posted. So do these have their own serial run ??? More questions of a question.

As I understand it, the single runes were produced at a satellite facility controlled by the SS (probably Gusen) with less-than-willing labor and supplied with parts by Steyr. I assume this was more of an assembly and finishing operation.

The non-rune guns were actual Steyr factory guns produced under contract to the SS or other paramilitary units.

The SSZZa4 rifles, much like the earlier depot guns seen around 1941, were assembled by SS armorers at the depot level from spares to supplement production. They are a totally different animal and really have nothing to do with the other two variations. So, all three would be separate serial runs.

Does all of this sound about right?

The SSZZa4 rifles, much like the earlier depot guns seen around 1941, were assembled by SS armorers at the depot level from spares to supplement production. They are a totally different animal and really have nothing to do with the other two variations. So, all three would be separate serial runs.

That is very interesting. As I have started to lean toward researching these SS contract rifles (muddy as those waters are), I am intrigued by the "mess" we have to figure out.

I did not previously hear that SSZZA4 theory. Cool.

I think collecting these things might be as much of a minefield as snipers can be.

Jeff

Military Rifle Journal
Back