Third Party Press

The LK5 marking: A different approach

Pat

Staff member
Fair warning:
This is a LONG post, and I apologize in advance. I wanted to make this shorter, but doing so would have eliminated too much of the 'meat' of the points I'm trying to illuminate and explore. Just ask Paul, he knows I'm prone to long passages...:biggrin1:

There are a number of us that have LK5 marked rifles and carbines in our collections, but like a number of other markings from this era, we’ve largely been left to speculate on exactly what it or the similar LK3 and (possibly) the LK7 and LK9 markings signify. What’s not in doubt is that the LK5 marking is found with far greater frequency than the other examples. I’ve tried to flesh out the meaning of this for a bit and have mostly been satisfied at what are admittedly just theories regarding it’s significance and meaning. Some closer examination of the documentary evidence from the period and conversations with historians, researchers and fellow collectors hasn’t quite filled in all of the gaps, but it’s opened up a probable different avenue to the real meaning. I wanted to share this with you guys and see what your thoughts are, and how your observations compare with my own. First, some review of the current state of affairs…

The LK5 marking appears with greatest frequency on pre-war and very early wartime French carbines and rifles. This group far outnumbers any other type, to the extent that the others are very uncommonly found, and are valued relatively higher than their French counterparts. The marking is typically found on the left side of the butt stock, close to the leading edge of the butt plate, but I own an example that has been stamped on the right side. The LK5 marking is frequently accompanied by the presence of a one or two digit number stamped into the underside of the stock wrist, or on the stock grip flat on some rifles that have that feature. It is quite often the case that the marking and the numbers are the only things that differentiate these from unmarked examples of the same arms. That being said, I have observed and own examples on which some typical German modifications have been made, such as the bluing of bolts otherwise left polished in original production, and the numbering of other components with either the full or partial serial number of the weapon, and all on parts originally left unnumbered.

While an audience of German arms collectors is not necessarily in need of convincing at this point that this marking is German in origin, it wouldn’t hurt to review further what we do know about the types of weapons that bear the stamp:

-All of the weapons date either from the pre-war or early wartime period
-All of the weapons were either German, or originally produced in countries which fell under at least partial German control
-Many of the weapons bear additional, indicative markings or modifications that are consistent with other examples captured and later used by German forces
-None of the examples bear importers’ markings of any kind
-There is no documentation that lists the mark as being post-war, or from the rifles’ countries of origin

All things considered, there should not be any serious doubt that these were German used arms. In a manner of speaking, they appear to pass both the comparative captured weapons test and the ‘sniff’ test alike.

A current theory holds that the LK5 marking refers to ‘Luftgau Kommando 5,’ a corps-level like organization within the Luftwaffe similar to a Kreis or district. This entity was created in Stuttgart in September 1944 from the ashes of what was once Luftgau Kommando Westfrankreich, which presumably suffered heavily in the combat of the summer of 1944 throughout France. Luftgau Kommando 5 is a documented and known entity, with a listed command structure and record of operations (apparently ground flak roles) leading to their disbandment in southern Germany on 2 April 1945.

While the identification of the LK5 marking with Luftgau Kommando 5 might seem to be a perfect fit, there are a number of problems with this. Probably the most critical is that ‘Luftgau’ is not abbreviated as ‘L’ in the surviving documents. Instead, ‘Lg’ or ‘L.G.’ is used. Similarly, ‘Luftgau Kommando’ is found abbreviated as ‘L.G.K.’ or ‘LGK,’ but not ‘LK.’ To illustrate this, I was able to locate an entry for Luftgau Kommando Westfrankreich in a Luftwaffe Tagesbefehle. Instead of ‘LK Westfrankreich,’ it is noted as ‘LGK Westfrankreich.’ If we were to attempt an association with LK5 to a Luftkreiskommando as another possibility fitting the letter combination and size of the unit, it would still not accord with known abbreviated use. Luftkreiskommando is shown as ‘L.K.K.,’ not as LK. Additionally, while there was in fact a Luftkreis 5, it ceased to exist as a separate entity by that name when it was used to form Luftwaffengruppenkommando 3 starting on 4 February 1938.

The assumed connection to a Luftwaffe unit would appear to be bolstered additionally by the fact that numerous period photographs have survived which portray identifiably Luftwaffe personnel with what are clearly captured weapons. On a practical level, it also makes perfect sense that non-combat Luftwaffe ground units would appropriately be issued captured weapons. Until their employment in defense of Germany proper in spring 1945, their duties would have been almost invariably static, uncontested and would have had a negligible draw on captured ammunition supplies and allotments. However, for as many period photographs which have survived of Luftwaffe personnel using captured weapons, there appear to be at least as many depicting Heer personnel with them. To a lesser extent, one can also locate pictures of RAD, Reichsbahn and Kriegsmarine personnel using captured weapons. It should come as no surprise that captured weapons would have offered these non-combat troops a deep and available pool from which to draw for their own needs, and certainly not solely or primarily for the Luftwaffe.

So what could LK5 signify? Using the same abbreviation conventions, ‘L’ could stand for a widely varying number of things, the vast majority of which would have nothing to do with small arms or possible units of assignment. Craig Brown (RIP) once suggested a possible meaning of ‘Lehrgang Kommando' (see this post: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...tos-MAS-1936-rifles-in-a-training-environment), but Lehrgang is not found abbreviated as ‘L.’ However, the substance of this possible association, that of a unit charged with training and preparation of personnel for assignment to active units makes sense. Moreover, while a 'Lehrgang Kommando' doesn't fit the LK designation, 'Lehr Kommando,' or 'Training Command' does. This type of designation accords with acknowledged, documented use of 'L' and 'K,' and implies a more general, non-branch specific title. In other words, what we might be seeing is a stamp used by dedicated training units on rifles and carbines designated for training purposes, including live fire, since these are usually encountered in fully functioning form.

Some of the period photographs mentioned above appear to show squad level and larger units in training environments, as shown by the lack of expected second and third line kit that would be used by troops going into combat/extended operations, and by the context of the photos themselves, which very clearly show training cadre providing instruction to the troops. In this environment, the weapons would not need to be standardized, or even use the same caliber. If all that was needed for a crew-served weapons unit was to have some kind of long arm slung while they performed their individual roles, then almost anything would have worked. In a more immediately practical vein, captured weapons chambered in 7.92x57mm would have likely been good candidates for basic marksmanship training of recruits, as they shared many parts in common with K98k Mauser rifles, as well as the type of ammunition used. This would allow a training unit to use assigned, standardized 7.92 ammunition without having to source captured foreign calibers within their own supply system.

Another possible argument in favor of the training weapon idea is that the variety of arms marked with the LK5 stamp extends beyond just the French weapons. Although the latter are clearly in the majority, this should be expected. France had one of the world’s largest armies in 1939, and was considered one of the best. Their navy was approximately the second largest in the world. It should then come as no surprise that the total conquest of France by Germany would result in a windfall of arms and materiel, which is exactly what happened. However, there are a number of other arms bearing the stamp which are not French. Polish, Soviet, British, Yugoslavian, Austrian, Czech and Belgian examples are also known. A geographic French association with the LK5 marking has presumably been assumed because of the title of Luftgau Kommando 5’s ill-fated predecessor, ‘Luftgau Kommando Westfrankreich.’ Because the latter had an obvious regional designation, it has been assumed that the weapons were sourced more or less locally. As a general rule, it’s probably safe to assume that was the case in many instances in which captured weapons were both needed and available in the same general area. France comprised a very large resting, refitting and training area for all branches of the Wehrmacht, both in preparation for the invasion of Britain, and in anticipation of a cross-Channel invasion by the Allies. It should then come as no surprise that locally available arms would be used at training facilities in country, augmented as needed by other captured arms, depending on the ebb and flow of supplies.

While I can’t definitively state that training lay at the core of the LK5 meaning, I do believe that the association with Luftgau Kommando 5 is both untenable and unsupported by the available documents. I’ve hopefully stimulated some thought here, and I wanted to prod you guys a bit to see if anyone else has come up with anything new on this sub-set of markings. If you have any thoughts or news on this, please chime in!

Best,
Pat

Last edited:
I just realized I had submitted a copy that was missing some content. Edits added and re-submitted.
Pat

Last edited:
Sorry it took so long to get here, but I've had so much going on this weekend and forgot you posted this.

I agree that the LK5 being Luftgaukommando 5 is pretty weak, your research on the abbreviation reveals the same. However, I think the idea that the marking has something to do with training units is also weak for one reason - the rifles are all reworked to some degree.

In my estimation the marking HAS to have something to do with a rework facility, or facilities (i.e. LK3, LK4, etc). My guess is 1 facility, associated with the Luftwaffe based on the type of firearms seen, and my guess is it's in France. I'm betting all of these LK5 markings were done late, like sometime in 44. There is too much similarity to Heer reworks for this not to be the case in my opinion. If we keep the dialogue open maybe one day we will figure it out...

Hi Mike,
Makes sense to me. I'm afraid I fell off track regarding the 1944 timeframe, though. What is it about these that leads you to believe that they were marked in 1944? I'd also be interested in hearing if you have any ideas regarding what the 'LK' might refer to, although we're probably reduced to guessing that one.
Thanks,
Pat

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Pat. I would think the LK marked rifles indicate rework/repair inspect instead of assignment to a particular area or unit, which is consistent with that process. I agree that it is a German marking based upon your points Pat.

Thanks Ham.
All but one (a MAS 1936) of my LK5 marked rifles and carbines have indications of what we'd call 'depot work' on them. Some of them are more extensively worked over than others, and are consistent with what you and Mike expressed.

Best,
Pat

Thanks Ham.
All but one (a MAS 1936) of my LK5 marked rifles and carbines have indications of what we'd call 'depot work' on them. Some of them are more extensively worked over than others, and are consistent with what you and Mike expressed.

The French guns seem to make up the majority of the LK5 rifles, and the vast majority don't seem to show any signs of reworking at all except for the MAS36 usually have the notch manually cut into the receivers.

The case for Luftgau-Kommando 5 isn't great, but it certainly has the most circumstantial evidence behind it: the mark is almost certainly Luftwaffe related, very likely originated in 1944, and LGK5 had been LGK WFR before 9/44 which would explain why there are so many French guns. I don't think the "official" abbreviation is much evidence against it.

The French guns seem to make up the majority of the LK5 rifles, and the vast majority don't seem to show any signs of reworking at all except for the MAS36 usually have the notch manually cut into the receivers.

The case for Luftgau-Kommando 5 isn't great, but it certainly has the most circumstantial evidence behind it: the mark is almost certainly Luftwaffe related, very likely originated in 1944, and LGK5 had been LGK WFR before 9/44 which would explain why there are so many French guns. I don't think the "official" abbreviation is much evidence against it.

Except that none of the available sources of abbreviations for that time list 'Luftgau' as anything but Lg or LG. 'Luftgau Kommando' is repeatedly listed as LGK (as you noted in your response) or L.G.K. 'Official' convention was of course not always followed, but I also haven't seen any evidence that units were just making this stuff up as they went, either.

Except that none of the available sources of abbreviations for that time list 'Luftgau' as anything but Lg or LG. 'Luftgau Kommando' is repeatedly listed as LGK (as you noted in your response) or L.G.K. 'Official' convention was of course not always followed, but I also haven't seen any evidence that units were just making this stuff up as they went, either.

Sure, but I don't think its a stretch for 'Luftgau-Kommando' to be abbreviated 'LK'. Maybe it was cheaper/easier to make the stamp with only three letters, I don't know.

A better question to ask might be "why are there so many LK5 and so few LK3 and LK7" rifles? I would note that LK7 was in Munster in northern Germany (occupied by the British) and LK3 was in Berlin (occupied by the Russians). LK5 was in Stuttgart and occupied by the Americans. Strange coincidence.

Not saying I'm right, just that we should not be so hasty as to throw out a theory that is certainly among the more plausible explanations.

The geographical/corps area designations are certainly persuasive and make perfect sense, but the lack of a 'G' in 'LK_' stamps in all known examples seems odd. I'm not so sure they just didn't have a 'G' stamp to use, either. In every example I've seen/owned, the entire designation appears to be one continuous surface, with no breaks in between letters/numbers to be seen.

If these were done in (late?) 1944, then my examples certainly received an alarming amount of attention for being that late in the war. There are blued bolts, polished rear sight ladders, added numbers on small parts, a modified magazine follower and a bolt take-down ferrule installed in a stock (both in a Yugoslav Model 1924), and the ubiquitous one or two digit numbers on the stock wrist. Not the kinds of things I would expect armorers to bother with in a period when K98k's themselves were subject to simplification of features and components.

The geographical/corps area designations are certainly persuasive and make perfect sense, but the lack of a 'G' in 'LK_' stamps in all known examples seems odd. I'm not so sure they just didn't have a 'G' stamp to use, either. In every example I've seen/owned, the entire designation appears to be one continuous surface, with no breaks in between letters/numbers to be seen.

The stamp is obviously one piece. I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't.

If these were done in (late?) 1944, then my examples certainly received an alarming amount of attention for being that late in the war. There are blued bolts, polished rear sight ladders, added numbers on small parts, a modified magazine follower and a bolt take-down ferrule installed in a stock (both in a Yugoslav Model 1924), and the ubiquitous one or two digit numbers on the stock wrist. Not the kinds of things I would expect armorers to bother with in a period when K98k's themselves were subject to simplification of features and components.

Some of those mods could have easily been done long before then. As I mentioned, the vast majority of the LK5 beutewaffen don't show much in the way of changes. The MAS36 are virtually untouched (and the notched receivers may well have been done by the French before the surrender) as are most of the Berthiers and Lebels. Most depot modified Yugos were never marked, so the LK5 could have been added to already updated rifles, etc., etc.

hello

OK ! just for your information i've a G98M with LK5 stamp on the right side of the stock , this weapon has been found not far from LYON three years ago with a VZ24 wearing also a double LK5 stamp and both were staying here since the end of the war .

ber

It's very possible that the reworking was done prior to the application of the LK5 stamp, but not all reworks are evident - some reworks are just inspected rifles, such as the case with the Carcano rifles. I have a feeling that these are similar, but that is just a feeling I get. I do agree that these were in France (as seen by toulon44's observation). This will be figured out if people keep talking about it and keeping an open mind.

Toulon44,
When you refer to these being found near Lyon, were they recovered there three years ago, or had they been in collections/available for sale? If they had just been recovered, that's pretty far south for distribution of arms from a unit that was (re-)formed in September 1944 in southern Germany. Lyon was liberated on 3 September, 1944. Thanks for adding the information on the area of recovery:thumbsup:

Mrfarb,
At this point I'd say France is by far the strongest candidate not just because of rifle types, but for the sheer size and scope of the AO in which US troops operated and would be likely to encounter and recover these. That being said, I think RyanE's note that Luftgau Kommando 5's area of responsibility in southern Germany lay in the US' post-war zone of occupation is persuasive and needs to be considered in the wider question.

This evolving process is exactly what I was hoping for, and why I wanted to post something specifically on this question. All of the information is fragmented, anecdotal and spread throughout different forums and posts so I was hoping that we could get something under one roof. Getting to a definite answer would be great, but I think there's a lot to be gained from comparing findings and observations like we're doing here.

Thanks,
Pat

Toulon44,
When you refer to these being found near Lyon, were they recovered there three years ago, or had they been in collections/available for sale? If they had just been recovered, that's pretty far south for distribution of arms from a unit that was (re-)formed in September 1944 in southern Germany. Lyon was liberated on 3 September, 1944. Thanks for adding the information on the area of recovery

hello pat

well! i have given LYON because it's the biggest town in the region but in fact they came from VOIRON (isère) and were not from a collection , found in a house basement , i know that this aréa has been libérated in 1944 august / september but it is close enough to find 1945 spring alpin battle (april/may) weapons and they are not rare .
just my thought

ber

Hello Ber,
Very interesting, thanks!
I asked those specific questions because I was trying to determine if the time frame worked for a Luftgau Kommando 5 connection. With this area being liberated on 3 September 1944 and Luftgau Kommando 5 being formed on 6 September 1944 in Stuttgart, that doesn't offer enough time for them to be formed as a unit, acquire stamps, stamp rifles and then have events deposit them back into this area after the expulsion of German troops. Your VZ-24 is also the only example I've seen that has been double stamped!

Another very interesting aspect of that VZ-24 is the fact that it is a bolt mis-match. Here in the US, those are usually assumed to be either unmarked, pre-1968 imports or veteran 'bring backs' that were separated from their correct, matching bolt for currently unknown reasons, although there are anecdotal accounts of returning veterans being ordered to separate the bolts from the rifles before transport back to the US. The fact that yours was found in situ with a mismatched bolt is very interesting.

Thanks again for your information!
Pat

There are a number of us that have LK5 marked rifles and carbines in our collections, but like a number of other markings from this era, we’ve largely been left to speculate on exactly what it or the similar LK3 and (possibly) the LK7 and LK9 markings signify. What’s not in doubt is that the LK5 marking is found with far greater frequency than the other examples.

The LK5 marking appears with greatest frequency on pre-war and very early wartime French carbines and rifles.

While the identification of the LK5 marking with Luftgau Kommando 5 might seem to be a perfect fit, there are a number of problems with this. Probably the most critical is that ‘Luftgau’ is not abbreviated as ‘L’ in the surviving documents. Instead, ‘Lg’ or ‘L.G.’ is used. Similarly, ‘Luftgau Kommando’ is found abbreviated as ‘L.G.K.’ or ‘LGK,’ but not ‘LK.’ To illustrate this, I was able to locate an entry for Luftgau Kommando Westfrankreich in a Luftwaffe Tagesbefehle. Instead of ‘LK Westfrankreich,’ it is noted as ‘LGK Westfrankreich.’ If we were to attempt an association with LK5 to a Luftkreiskommando as another possibility fitting the letter combination and size of the unit, it would still not accord with known abbreviated use. Luftkreiskommando is shown as ‘L.K.K.,’ not as LK. Additionally, while there was in fact a Luftkreis 5, it ceased to exist as a separate entity by that name when it was used to form Luftwaffengruppenkommando 3 starting on 4 February 1938.

So what could LK5 signify? Using the same abbreviation conventions, ‘L’ could stand for a widely varying number of things, the vast majority of which would have nothing to do with small arms or possible units of assignment. Craig Brown (RIP) once suggested a possible meaning of ‘Lehrgang Kommando' (see this post: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...tos-MAS-1936-rifles-in-a-training-environment), but Lehrgang is not found abbreviated as ‘L.’ However, the substance of this possible association, that of a unit charged with training and preparation of personnel for assignment to active units makes sense. Moreover, while a 'Lehrgang Kommando' doesn't fit the LK designation, 'Lehr Kommando,' or 'Training Command' does. This type of designation accords with acknowledged, documented use of 'L' and 'K,' and implies a more general, non-branch specific title. In other words, what we might be seeing is a stamp used by dedicated training units on rifles and carbines designated for training purposes, including live fire, since these are usually encountered in fully functioning form.

Hello Pat,

I will warm up your old thread and I quote a few paragraphs. I have read the chronicle from some Kriegsmarine units and several times they mention something like this example: "The 1st Company was equipped with rifles of various origins. Over time, the equipment was supplemented, especially by captured French rifles with corresponding ammunition."

I know two K98k rifles with LK5 marking, the first is S/147 1936 Sn 1668d and the second is S/147 1938 Sn 7076. The second rifle is a Kriegsmarine K98k, marked with the Nordsee property number "N 4997" and "LK5".

Lehrkommando (Training Command) would be abbreviated "LK" or "L.K." and I could find the following Kriegsmarine Lehrkommandos:
Lehrkommando-3 - Photo
Lehrkommando-5 - Photo
Lehrkommando-7 - Photo
Lehrkommando-9 - Photo

Regards,
Stephan

Hello Pat,

I will warm up your old thread and I quote a few paragraphs. I have read the chronicle from some Kriegsmarine units and several times they mention something like this example: "The 1st Company was equipped with rifles of various origins. Over time, the equipment was supplemented, especially by captured French rifles with corresponding ammunition."

I know two K98k rifles with LK5 marking, the first is S/147 1936 Sn 1668d and the second is S/147 1938 Sn 7076. The second rifle is a Kriegsmarine K98k, marked with the Nordsee property number "N 4997" and "LK5".

Lehrkommando (Training Command) would be abbreviated "LK" or "L.K." and I could find the following Kriegsmarine Lehrkommandos:
Lehrkommando-3 - Photo
Lehrkommando-5 - Photo
Lehrkommando-7 - Photo
Lehrkommando-9 - Photo

Regards,
Stephan

Cool, looks like we might have a solid answer forming and it makes perfect sense. Great find Stephan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, looks like we might have a solid answer forming and it makes perfect sense. Great find Stephan!

I agree! Leave it to the German guy that some idiot was arguing with about German armorer matters. I wonder if some of the guys on this site who are really good at it can determine the weapon types in the photo of Lehrkommando-7? Great job Stephan!

I agree! Leave it to the German guy that some idiot was arguing with about German armorer matters. I wonder if some of the guys on this site who are really good at it can determine the weapon types in the photo of Lehrkommando-7? Great job Stephan!

Looks like Kar98a rifles to me.

Military Rifle Journal
Back