Third Party Press

Looking for First K98k

Woodsman

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member looking for a K98k and need some advice. I'm looking for a safe, mechanically correct rifle more of a shooter than a collector, you know something with a good barrel and correct headspace. What do you think of the post war Czech rifles? How about the Yugo 98/48? I am concerned about not knowing when and where the Yugo's were built because of the scrubbed receiver. Is that a valid concern? Do you have any suggestions? I'm not against saving some more money to find an original with German markings, are there certain years or manufacturers to stay away from for safety issues? Ultimately I want something to take out and shoot, and it sure wouldn't hurt if it had some collector value, although I assume all of them do to some extent.

Thank you in advance.

If your going to shoot it a lot, I'd look for a Russian capture they aren't too expensive and if you find a nice
One they can be great shooters. If you have say 900.00 and up and don't plan on shooting too much then
You can find a Mismatched gun or even a matching one. It just depends. I've never heard of a German Mauser to stay away from, but there are others on here that may chime in and let us know.

I have a Yugo M24/47 that I enjoy shooting. It is essentially the same action as a K98k, just a shorter length bolt. When the original FN or domestically produced (Kingdom of Serbs, Croats & Slovenes) 1924 rifles were refurbed post-WW2, they often received new M48 barrels and K98k style sight hoods. They are chambered for the same 8mm round and will be substantially more affordable than all but the crustiest of K98ks. Mine has a beautiful hardwood stock, came with a pristine bore full of cosmoline, and shoots very well.

If your going to shoot it a lot, I'd look for a Russian capture they aren't too expensive and if you find a nice
One they can be great shooters. If you have say 900.00 and up and don't plan on shooting too much then
You can find a Mismatched gun or even a matching one. It just depends. I've never heard of a German Mauser to stay away from, but there are others on here that may chime in and let us know.

I agree, a Russian capture is probably your best bet. I bought a matching one at the SOS last year, I take it shooting every once and a while but if you want something to shoot a lot I say go for the RC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info, I wasn't sure about the 24/47's but will keep my eyes open for a good one, I had an M48 and sold it with no regrets. Any input on the Yugo and Czech post war rebuild? Thank you! Where I'm at there are not many opportunities to see any rifles in person so I'm relying on good info and pics. What is a good price for a solid RC with a good barrel?

Thanks

here sometime have appeared post-war CZs_ mint condition,I would say straight from the factory or some depot._
laminated stocks quite carefully inletted for the action_ often some flaws on the outside machining_ some specimen with wrongly machined striker's hole (not round, quite oval), very low prices, lower than RCs, and in my wiew better bargain if intended as shooters, and if carefully inspected, before the buy, under the heavy grease_
by the way, I have found excellent shooters among wartime VZs, too, and usually with better machining overall finish_

I see an RC dot 44. Did the quality at the BRNO factory ever decline toward the end of the war. I assume that BRNO always made a good product but don't want to worry about the receiver strength or quality, since I'm looking for a shooter.

I have a as new Yugo rebuilt 98k and is is solid and has a mint bore, holds super groups and is very smooth. Overall on par with the original German production as most of the parts are in fact German wartime parts that were marking scrubbed and refinished.
FWIW if you are looking at the Yugo ones it really does not matter when it was made as I have never heard of a receiver failure with the 98 unlike the US 1903.

I also like the VZ rifles and picked up a super nice Romanian contract one that was refinished post war with a stone mint bore but a little old pitting only on the receiver for $250 off GB. You never know.

I see an RC dot 44. Did the quality at the BRNO factory ever decline toward the end of the war. I assume that BRNO always made a good product but don't want to worry about the receiver strength or quality, since I'm looking for a shooter.

No, certainly no decline at all in metallurgy standards, just the same trend as other manufacturers of lower standards of cosmetic finish and some Kriegsmodell simplifications.

Declining wartime German standards never meant dangerous weapons, just economical shortcuts.

The postwar Czech rifles would make excellent shooters and some are really nice, not as collectible (except perhaps the tgf coded guns).

Jeff

I picked up Yugo 98/48. It's in pretty nice shape. Now I just need to order some ammo.

You made a good choice. The Yugo M98 is basically the same exact as the German K98. I picked one up at my local gun shop for $220. I can tell all the parts are German because most of them have eagle waffenampts and underneath a bright light I can even see where they scrubbed off markings, it's a dot 1944. When I bought it the barrel looked brand new like it was never fired. The bore is tighter than a teenage... nevermind. Shoots very nice 2 inch groupings at 100 yards. Best $220 I'll ever spend.

Military Rifle Journal
Back