Third Party Press

StG44 picture

Absolut

Thought some here would enjoy seeing this - picture originates from the Militärarchiv Potsdam.

Attachments

• stg44.jpg
    stg44.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 303
Wrong sling and missing sight cover - even the way he is holding the rifle is anachronistic, usually the magazine or hand guard is utilized, gripping the mag-well, thumb wrapped around - while thumb supporting the receiver left-side, while sometimes encountered in period images, is a more modern discipline.
I looked up the Militärarchiv Potsdam, it's a post-war archive, with a lot of post-war information - did they have text with this image? - the jacket-sleeves seem wrong, too -

Also, the finish on the receiver is not consistent with wartime images - where, bluing/phosphate is usually relatively new - you'll see scratched and worn hand guards, but rarely white metal showing through bluing on the receiver itself - of course, i know there were white metal/lacquer receivers, the pictured MP44 is not one.

I would be interested to know, as the photo itself seems genuinely old 1950's or so, a slower lens, as opposed to a modern fast lens that has been graded with a filter.

Regardless thanks for posting.

Last edited:
I've seen that picture before, got hung up on what I thought was a wedding band on the shooter's left middle finger. Wrong side, Germans wear wedding bands on their right hand. Probably a reenactor.

I've picked it from an album from this archive ... it was one of only a handful gun pictures while all others only show very heavy equipment, mainly tanks. Hence I do not believe they are of reenactors, because they wouldn't be able to get all these tanks and even trailers for them. I believe I had seen any kind of German tank in this album.

if I am not mistaken this the old East German military museum not a re-enactor probably a Kampfengrupen in training, they used old Wehrmacht equipment and new ly manufactured Wehrmacht style equipment up until the late 50's including MP-44's

OMG, it sure looks like one. No idea on date of this pic, but maybe a bring-back that some resourceful GI tried to sneak through. Sad to see it get a watery grave.....

omg.jpg

Thanks for the link. It looks like traces of whitewash on the MP44 and particularly the K98, especially the butt. Is it just me imagining things or did anyone else notice that?

Interesting pictures. Often wonder when looking at pictures like these and seeing the faces if they made it through the war, captured, lived as a combatant until Germany surrendered, or KIA. Liked the pics, couldn't read a word of the preceding article, but the pics each say a 1000 words. Anybody ever seen any information on any estimate of surviving shootable MP43's, MP44's, Stg44's? Probably hard to figure, a wild guess at most.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back