Third Party Press

Brazilian Model 1935 Mauser Banner long rifle

Deejay

7BceWyoh.jpg

Maybe this one isn't absolutely pristine, but still, it is without a shadow of a doubt the finest rifle in my gun cabinet.

tqwd7nOh.jpg

pHuV9Hml.jpg

y4Jm9Zil.jpg

iGzoLROl.jpg

TdenKiwl.jpg

The indication of the calibre was added by Frankonia when they reimported the rifles from Brazil in the 1970s.

QWLX35Pl.jpg

The Brazilian crest.

NkU9byMl.jpg

In my opinion, the rear sight is absolutely identical to that of contemporary Mauser K98ks.

oMtSlS2l.jpg

k3icbd2l.jpg

CQiyxFgl.jpg

I love the bluing of this "surplus" military rifle.

PlzfCS7l.jpg

Even though the rifle as a whole is extremely well preserved, the metal parts of a gun rack left their traces here and there.

9J1b41Gl.jpg

One of the grooves in the walnut stock.

4pXGqc9l.jpg

pbPr2hhl.jpg

Last edited:
jlGZmjrl.jpg

Frankonia's logo : FWW (Frankonia Waffen Würzburg)

uciaesHl.jpg

A chisel mark was added once the front post had been ajusted.

auVAICVl.jpg

7aiuyzNl.jpg

fcIr1Yql.jpg

The almost eighty-year-old steel buttplate shows signs of rust...

HYXEdosl.jpg

Q7jb2oAl.jpg

The G98-type sling is amazingly well preserved.

5jT8jaBl.jpg

oxQOAOSl.jpg

tYVY71il.jpg

5hDWfYDl.jpg

ZyDHamml.jpg

oYSGJoBl.jpg

CWLCZJzl.jpg

w6YqE9Ul.jpg

Last edited:
8HG2Ti0l.jpg

The matching number bayonet that goes with the rifle.

VCZmjuKl.jpg

koMoKL0l.jpg

8eTg3fgl.jpg

8jdkWZMh.jpg

The rifle in full "parade order".​

Yes, the mind boggles at the thought that this was meant to be a mere military rifle - a time when people took pride in their work.

Thank you.
This Model 1935 is a very fine one but by no means one of the best available, as far as Europe is concerned, at least. This is a somewhat paradoxical rifle as it is not uncommon on the market although only 7,000 of these long rifles were ever produced in Oberndorf.

Some more random pictures :

zZb1G8zl.jpg

The G98-type sling swing swivel.

qSfehBbl.jpg

The walnut timber is nothing fancy, you could say, but this one isn't Turkish for sure !

NOGHyfSl.jpg

Not quite visible on this photo, but the timber of the stock is a shade darker than the wood on the bayonet, which must have preserved the original colour of the walnut wood.

gdhohhUl.jpg

The bayonet sits pretty snugly under the barrel.

vOOZnKwl.jpg

You can tell from these photos that Mauser people were extremely exacting in terms of dimensional accuracy.

vic1WgSl.jpg

4WJ0jUCl.jpg

Again, the attention to detail, with blued parts that literally stand out : in a way, Mausers can be termed works of art, as Germans also took the aesthetics of their rifles into account (something which had no importance at all in Russia at that time, as is evidenced by the way Mosin-Nagants were made !).

4fWaJOSl.jpg

U0NtAlvl.jpg

hyX1rlnl.jpg

Now, I have a question :

Were these Brazilian contract Mauser Model 1935 long rifles SOLELY made for Brazil or did other shipments take place to other South American countries ? By the time they were sent to Brazil (1935 and 1937, apparently), these long rifles were rather outmoded (altmodisch !), so I doubt they made the same for Germany's "interior market".

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous!

There are a quite a few of these in Canada as well. You can find examples like yours fairly easily. I'll probably pick one up at some point.

They give an idea of what our weather-/war-beaten K98s might have looked like in their prime.

I have found a tiny Weimar-eagle Waffenamt 63 marking on the rear sight slide of this Model 1935 and would like to know your opinion on it. Although M1935s are supposed to bear no such markings, the rear sight is in excellent condition and the replacement of its slide seems unlikely to my point of view.

Waffenamt 63 was used between 1936 and 1939 at Oberndorf, which fits quite nicely into the production time-frame of these rifles.

20161104_085241-1.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back