Third Party Press

Question about Yugo rebuilds

Deejay

Is it either usual or possible to find a Yugo rebuild with unscrubbed receiver, German non-matching markings intact and no other Yugo markings outside those of the new Yugo barrel and a (new) serial number stamped on the stock ?

Last edited:
Possible, yes. Usual, no.
A minority of these are encountered with their original barrel codes and maker's marks, and are usually in the 'V' or 'W' serial prefix range. They lack the Communist crest on the top of the receiver and retain their original markings instead. These are invariably made up of mixed parts from different manufacturers and different components, so almost anything goes. It is typical to find various WaA stamps on parts and areas that were harder to reach, and the stocks are numbered on the left side of the butt stock. They are usually excellent shooters, as many (most?) were fitted with new barrels during the rebuild process in the 1950's and then put into storage.

Pat

Mine has absolutely no Yugo markings on the metal apart from its new Yugo-marked barrel. The marking which is stamped on the right hand side of the barrel (508) has nothing to do with the one which is on the stock (2378, re-stamped on some other marking). The German SN on the receiver (2067n) does not correspond to any of these either, so I am at a loss as to the ultimate origin of this K98 rework. What's more, the rifle bears the (West) German BKA 6 stamp, which means that it was turned into a "Dekowaffe", possibly by the German importer Hege (Orion stamp underneath the Bundeskriminalamt/BKA stamp).

This K98 is rather confusing and, although I have owned it for twenty-five years now, I have never been able to pin down its origin with any certainty.

Military Rifle Journal
Back