Third Party Press

71/84 going prices?

jetmek

What should I expect to pay for a good condition numbers matching rifle? Prob not high demand due to ammo price and availability Id guess? Thanks in advance for advice.

All matching with no problems well over $1200 at the shows and gunbroker auctions. The ones listed for $1800 and up are not selling either. You can find them at small estate auctions and get them for far less since no one usually knows what it is either.

I saw 2 matching exc+ 71/84s last weekend at the OVMS Show in Ohio for $1100 each, and neither one sold. I suspect they could have been had for less.

Like most auctions, GunBroker isn't reality.

I have a very nice one that I shoot. You can buy the cases and bullets if your up to reloading your own ammo which I do just for this gun which makes it cost effective. They are a lot of fun to shoot. I do my reloading in the winter and my shooting in the summer.

It has been a long time since I saw one at auction start low with no reserve. They are definitely worth a good bit, but since they didn't get used in a world war, finding a pristine 71/84 is not nearly as difficult as finding a pristine Gew 98 and most true auctions reflect that.

Military Rifle Journal
Back