Third Party Press

Advice on a sporter to mock sniper project.

Thorne

Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinions on re-mounting an old sporter to a semi-mock sniper. It was previously drilled and tapped along the top (although roughly) and wanted to know if a high turret mount with split rings would be able to just fit right over it since the screw locks go in the sides rather than the top? Or if I should just have it filled and look in a side mounting system.

So any wisdom on what to go from here, its a very nice shooter that was inexpensive that was a Mauser Borgiswalde dated 1942 with a very nice barrel. It's a pity it was sporterized in the first place honestly, but in a nice original stock now at least.

Anyway thanks for your time and any help.

Last edited:
Hey,

I am in the same sort of situation with you. I have a sporterized 147 1940. I too was wondering how much of the receiver a turret mount would cover.

You should post some pictures of yours. I have listed a new topic showing my sporterized K98

Hey,

I am in the same sort of situation with you. I have a sporterized 147 1940. I too was wondering how much of the receiver a turret mount would cover.

You should post some pictures of yours. I have listed a new topic showing my sporterized K98

I figured out the issue to my problem, mine was drilled and tapped along the receiver in a vertical fashion. I ended up getting a very nice turret mount that covers them perfectly.

I 'm just waiting to find a good gunsmith that can install turret mounts, hopefully with tax season soon to be over it'll go faster.

The gunsmith you seek is a member of this forum.
VAughn99

Thank you, does he have a preferred method of contact?

This project of mine got put off far longer then I have wanted, the local gun show didn't help (other then finding a bunch of 8mm Ecuadorian s.S patrone ammo)
however I think after I received my Zeiss Zielsechs scope from Germany about week ago, it's just burning to get it finished now.

Well today I finished almost a year long project of hunting parts and materials to bring an old K98 that was sporterized, and bringing the end of something I've wanted for a long time. :happy0180:

Just spent my morning with a cup of coffee and sighting in the scope to the mounts Vaughn did for me, which he did a beautiful job despite the shortcoming of accumounts which is only a testament to his skills in my opinion. Thank you sir!

Was planning on going to the range, but lo' and behold it burst into flames as all things do in California...

**Also looking for solid milled band, preferably with Waa26 to match or unmarked. (Or if the planets happen to align and you have 3204 Waa26)

Anyways thanks for looking. I get to close the chapter with a great item to use at the ranch, and range!

Attachments

• IMG_1625.jpg
    IMG_1625.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1620.jpg
    IMG_1620.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1623.jpg
    IMG_1623.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 75
Thanks guys! Soon as our range gets rebuilt after a being hit by a wildfire I'll post some grouping pics.

Also is there anybody out there that makes reproduction leather Zielsechs scope covers?

Sporter fixer up High Turret range report

The long unawaited update and range report to my High Turret.

Well guys! I finally made it to the range after making sure everything was fitted and "sniper tuned" to my k98 as best one can do with historical accuracy. I worked on the trigger till it was somewhere between 3-4.5 lbs. and sitted in the stock to original german standards.

Working from from a table at 100 yards on a sandbag, I wanted to see how it would group and make any adjustments to the scope from there.
First image with the yellow targets showed it was all over and to the left. But around 5-6 circle I got it almost dead on.

Using new black target canvas, I shot my first 5 group and it was all over the place, but quick look I noticed the screw holding the locking lever was loose.
From then on , I got about 1.4 inch groups with its best being just under an inch.

While the weather was rainy and windy at very high altitude, I believe putting it through bad weather and coming out with pretty good results should yield even better results with nicer weather.

Any comments or help on "sniper tuning" a k98 to historical standards are welcome.

EDIT: sorry bout the little x's all over second image, took picture after helping a kid sight in their new ar15.

Attachments

• omu3.jpg
    omu3.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 39
  • omu.jpg
    omu.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 41
  • initial sight in.jpg
    initial sight in.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 29
  • info k98 100 yards.jpg
    info k98 100 yards.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 29
Alright, time for another update to this project journal with more commercial ammo tests.

So I finally got time off, and it was amazingly on a perfect sunny day and little to no wind at all. What is even better, in preparation for California's new ammo laws, I got 6 cases of 8mm commercial ammo of all kinds and brands with several more on the way. I plan to use the brass as I get into reloading now thanks to commissar brown and his cronies.

So I picked up some of the Russian captured 8mm mauser ammo that ventura is selling. I wasn't expecting much from re-purposed surplus ammo, but I was happy to discover it was actually extremely good and produced one of the best groups I've ever gotten that wasn't match ammo.

RE-German ammo 198gr
100yards

88oNZ0x.png

After cleaning the barrel, I tried some of the S&B 196gr FMJ ammo. I had some high hopes for this ammo, and for non-match grade ammo I wasn't too disappointed, as I got quite a bit of it now...
Should make good range practice ammo and the brass is re loadable.

Sellier & Bellot 196gr. FMJ
100yards

UNvWExA.png

Next update: PPU brand ammo 198grain and 200gr. match. (I know its underpowered so I don't have high hopes)
Long range testing for all brands I have. 500yards+

Cheers

Military Rifle Journal
Back