Third Party Press

BCD/BNZ 4 fully matching factory new

Absolut

I bought today a BCD / BNZ 4 coded K98k, fully matching numbers in factory new condition. The barrel is as it looks on the outside, factory new. Stock is also matching numbers on the inside. The only bad thing about it is the civilean Austrian firing proof it had received when it was sold by the Austrian Army post WWII.
Worth mentioning: it had seen service with the B-Gendarmerie, the first Austrian Army post WWII. They used whatever they had. According to the previous owner it was carried by someone at the border, hence it might not had seen any use at all. When he was able to buy it from the Army, it had to be fire proofed prior to the sale.

Since it is so astonishing nice, I thought it would be worth sharing some pictures of it.

Attachments

• bcdbnz_01.jpg
    bcdbnz_01.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 345
  • bcdbnz_02.jpg
    bcdbnz_02.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 320
  • bcdbnz_03.jpg
    bcdbnz_03.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 319
  • bcdbnz_04.jpg
    bcdbnz_04.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 300
  • bcdbnz_05.jpg
    bcdbnz_05.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 371
  • bcdbnz_06.jpg
    bcdbnz_06.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 914
  • bcdbnz_07.jpg
    bcdbnz_07.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 344
  • bcdbnz_08.jpg
    bcdbnz_08.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 263
  • bcdbnz_09.jpg
    bcdbnz_09.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 241
  • bcdbnz_10.jpg
    bcdbnz_10.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 283
Second and last set of pictures.

Attachments

• bcdbnz_11.jpg
    bcdbnz_11.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 153
  • bcdbnz_12.jpg
    bcdbnz_12.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 145
  • bcdbnz_13.jpg
    bcdbnz_13.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 177
  • bcdbnz_14.jpg
    bcdbnz_14.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 181
  • bcdbnz_15.jpg
    bcdbnz_15.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 186
  • bcdbnz_16.jpg
    bcdbnz_16.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 209
  • bcdbnz_17.jpg
    bcdbnz_17.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 175
  • bcdbnz_18.jpg
    bcdbnz_18.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 206
  • bcdbnz_19.jpg
    bcdbnz_19.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 157
Wow wow !!
(Government bureaucracy at work. Seems a bit redundant for the Austrians to reproof a rifle built in Austria........)

Wow wow !!
(Government bureaucracy at work. Seems a bit redundant for the Austrians to reproof a rifle built in Austria........)
Might be an European thing, but military proofs were never accepted as civilean proofs. And the new proof on it is a civilean firing proof.

If it were brought to the market it would also have had an importer name on it. Since it does not, it's clear that it was sold off by an Austrian governmental organisation who proofed it prior to selling it.

Thanks for the comments! And as a small side note, since we recently talked about it - note how sloppy the "bnz" was hand stamped on the receiver! They obviously had other things to take care of than of a proper serial number. Plus also note the location of the serial number on the rear barrel band/sling swivel - typically for the hand stamped Steyr rifles from 1944!

Edit: Mike and Bruce, if you need any of the pictures for your books please feel free to use them. I can provide those also in higher resolution, if required.

Last edited:
Hi Georg
Was this from the Show that You told You were on your way too . That is a great looking duel code k98 . Likely it is the best cond. one I have ever seen . Well done and Congrats on getting it . :hail:
Best Regards

Absolut that's a really great looking gun. Thanks for sharing and I looked at it with great interest since I bought that code awhile back but it had been made into a sporter buy the original owner and then the person I bought it from tried to restore it. I thought that it had the wrong stock so I put it in a BNZ stock, it had a BCD one, and changed the bands to late war welded ones which I thought were correct since it was a late war gun. Also, mine has a TG that doesn't have the lock screws. There doesn't seem to be much information on these so yours is a wealth knowledge. Anyone else have one of these?

Yes Dave, it was from that show. We had agreed on this in advance, but we just used it to meet there. I hope your son didn't had to wait because we were talking too long on the phone :googlie

Yes Dave, it was from that show. We had agreed on this in advance, but we just used it to meet there. I hope your son didn't had to wait because we were talking too long on the phone :googlie

He is fine with me arriving late as long as its Gun related . He's a gun nut also .:thumbsup:

Absolut, I have a question for you on your gun. Did you check to see if the barrel has the anti-barrel-bulging:counterboring to the muzzle? Mine does which I think according to Laws book (page 226) started mid- Sept 44.

Military Rifle Journal
Back