Third Party Press

BNZ Single Claw 98k Sniper

I think it looks like a nice Single Claw. I also think Flynaked is right. To me the hammer marks were to adjust the scope fit with respect to the front base. I have seen hammer marks on other sniper rifle bases as well.

Dave, I am indeed, notice how there is an identical one on the back of the base. Both of these look very deliberate and it would be improbable for both to be identical random damage. Notice where the deflected metal has worn from contact with the bottom of the ring, circled in red. This is the dimension I’m talking about possibly being corrected, not anything about the claw cutouts themselves. This vertical dimension is the most critical in the claw mount design. It’s not the best way per se but this type of metal deformation is used in many mechanical applications for a quick fix if you will to take up a sloppy dimension.

Clay from my experience as Iron/Metal Worker/Welder and Machining Work that it would take a Big Hammer to change the inner dimensions of the front Base and You would not be beating on the corners if You wanted to tighten the inner dimensions , but as You pointed out You were not referring to inner dimension but the outer dimensions of front base . Sure it possible the corners were blunted with a hammer but it has nothing to do with this outer dimension being critical . The Critical area is the inner part of the Base were the Claw fits. Here are pics of 2 different SC Rifles and from these pics you can clearly see the Front Ring Outer dimensions are not close to outer dimension of the Front Ring at all . The critical part is hook up and alignment of front claw with inner dimensions of front base and same on rear . Best Regards

Attachments

• DSC_1021.jpg
    DSC_1021.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_1022.jpg
    DSC_1022.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0447.jpg
    DSC_0447.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0390.jpg
    DSC_0390.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0392.jpg
    DSC_0392.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 79
Dave, since you also work with metal everyday you will probably understand my reasoning. I was looking at the compression ring in the metal (indicating how far in dimensional raising occurred) extending far enough forward on the bases to make a difference on the vertical ring fitment. I agree the claw fitment is critical but suppose you took a perfectly fitting upper assy and then milled off .002 on the base flats and then reinstalled the scope, it would be completely loose. That’s why I said that dimension was critical, and why I was theorizing what the identical hammer marks were likely there for.

Great looking rifles there! I still need the complete ring dimensions by the way if at all possible. :happy0180:

Dave, since you also work with metal everyday you will probably understand my reasoning. I was looking at the compression ring in the metal (indicating how far in dimensional raising occurred) extending far enough forward on the bases to make a difference on the vertical ring fitment. I agree the claw fitment is critical but suppose you took a perfectly fitting upper assy and then milled off .002 on the base flats and then reinstalled the scope, it would be completely loose. That’s why I said that dimension was critical, and why I was theorizing what the identical hammer marks were likely there for.

Great looking rifles there! I still need the complete ring dimensions by the way if at all possible. :happy0180:

Clay , I do understand why You mentioned that , but IMO knocking or blunting those two corners is not going to change the inner diameter of the front base . It does not take much effort or force to blunt a corner of a metal/steel part . If You want me too , I can try it on my SC to see what happens .:facepalm: Just Kidding . :laugh::laugh:

Dave, I had mentioned it already in here... I think this indeed was not an accident but a hammer hit. Surface is too smooth to had been an accident. I'm pretty sure it was just the pin in the front base getting loose and this is a pretty simple field invention to tighten it.

I will draft up a drawing to show what I am talking about fellas as the meaning is being lost.

Dave, I had mentioned it already in here... I think this indeed was not an accident but a hammer hit. Surface is too smooth to had been an accident. I'm pretty sure it was just the pin in the front base getting loose and this is a pretty simple field invention to tighten it.

Georg , I know what You already had said that is your opinion , saying it twice does not make it so . I also stated in a later post that it was possible that it could have been done with a hammer . But no one can say for certain why it was done or even when or who did it , at this point its all speculation nothing more .

Peter brings up a good point , why smash the back of the Base if it was a loose Cross Pin . In all actuality if it was some field repair , it could have been ReSoldiered in the field as apposed to Blunting Corners .

In regards to the Rear End of the Base , IMO I don't believe it was Blunted by a Hammer or Anything else , if you look closely at the the pics this Rear End has no wrinkled or rolled edges like you can see on the Front Corner of the Front Base . You can also see straight line wear patterns on this rear end and the wear on these edges are consistent all the way around the outer face of the Base .

Lastly look at all the Corners in the pics the only one to me that looks as if it was Smashed either with a Hammer or from gun be dropped or falling over and denting this corner is the Front Corner that we been discussing all 3 other corners appear to me to be part of the machining process as all are relatively the same . The Rear Base also has the corners knocked off .

Attachments

• corner.jpg
    corner.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 32
  • corner3.jpg
    corner3.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 27
  • corner2.jpg
    corner2.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 25
  • corner1.jpg
    corner1.jpg