Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BNZ Single Claw 98k Sniper

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by mauser99 View Post
    these are older photos. I remember when these were posted a few and maybe more than that years back either here or gunboards... Never forget a pair like that !

I cant remember who posted them and when though ???
    Owner Posted them first at Gunboards . They are Very Nice Rifles .
    That Single Claw is a Great Example .

Default new photos

bump for new photos both here and in the first entry on this thread.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milgunsguy; 02-01-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Great rifle, always liked the way this one looked in WGL and all!

I have always wondered if the base peening on this one was done wartime to correct a worn claw or done postwar to fit a different upper at one point.

Beautiful rifle, particular fan of single claws.

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Great rifle, always liked the way this one looked in WGL and all!

I have always wondered if the base peening on this one was done wartime to correct a worn claw or done postwar to fit a different upper at one point.
    Are referring to the strike on the Corner of Front Base ??? . If so IMO it has nothing to do with making a different Scope Ring fit better . It likely just took a hit from falling over . I can tell You this would not do anything to change inner measurement/diameter of the Front Claw hole .

Beavis the Cornholio mdarnell19's Avatar

Man, you got to love a nice single claw. Thanks for the updated pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roberts View Post
    Are referring to the strike on the Corner of Front Base ??? . If so IMO it has nothing to do with making a different Scope Ring fit better . It likely just took a hit from falling over . I can tell You this would not do anything to change inner measurement/diameter of the Front Claw hole .

Dave, I am indeed, notice how there is an identical one on the back of the base. Both of these look very deliberate and it would be improbable for both to be identical random damage. Notice where the deflected metal has worn from contact with the bottom of the ring, circled in red. This is the dimension Iím talking about possibly being corrected, not anything about the claw cutouts themselves. This vertical dimension is the most critical in the claw mount design. Itís not the best way per se but this type of metal deformation is used in many mechanical applications for a quick fix if you will to take up a sloppy dimension.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beavis the Cornholio mdarnell19's Avatar

It looks like there is damage to the bottom part of the front base also (right at the stock). Very interesting. I have always wondered why this rifle had a capital D on the base when almost all others have a lower case.

I think the bottom near the wood line is manufacturing error, the top looks like a deliberate repair for a likely over milled base flat, that seems quite obvious, it actually looks to be on all four corners. The claw wouldnít fit tight at all if this dimension were excessive. For what itís worth mine has a capital D base as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roberts View Post
    Maybe the pin in the front base got loose and this was a "field invention" with the hammer to tighten it.