Third Party Press

German Reissued Foreign Frogs for the S84/98 T3

pwcosol

In this last post covering frogs for the German S84/98 T3, reissued foreign frogs to accommodate the S84/98 T3 and similar bayonets (such as the SG24(t), 24(j), & 29(p)) are presented. Not covered are foreign frogs which were used by the Germans to carry bayonets for non-Mauser 98 pattern rifles. Typically these were left in the original configuration but often dyed black. Bayonets and weapons for same were usually issued to static, secondary and other occupation force troops stationed in the country of origin.

Foreign frogs for S84/98 pattern bayonets tend to be found with modifications such as having a cross-strap added, frog pouch modified, rivet reinforcements added, and being dyed black. Other modifications are found on more diverse frogs which were not designed for the S84/98 pattern bayonet. What follows is an array of the most commonly encountered variations: (top to bottom/GMF 1 thru 6)

GMF 1 Reissue Yugoslavian M24 frog. This example remains in the original brown color with the addition of a second cross-strap.

GMF 2 Reissue Polish Wz29 frog. This is the later pattern. Note Polish use of six reinforcement rivets. All examples I have seen were just dyed black, and none had a cross-strap added. Somewhat uncommon and original brown examples are desired by Polish arms collectors as well.

GMF 3-4 Modified Italian frogs. The first example appears to have been made new. Pouch is molded with reinforcement rivets. Finish is factory black. The second has had the cross-strap removed and pouch modified or replaced. Rivets have been added. Original green leather treatment remains.

GMF 5 Modified French frog with pouch replacement for multiple usage. Note slot at each side of frog stud hole, allowing a bayonet with scabbard frog stud or rectangular bar loop to be carried. Also dyed black.

GMF 6 Two examples of the Czech Vz24 (or possibly Austrian M95) frog modified by being dyed black, with one example having a cross-strap added. The Czech frogs are very similar to the Austrian, and sometimes only a surviving manufacturer marking may be what differentiates one from the other.

Attachments

• GermRICzech.JPG
    GermRICzech.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 45
  • GermRIFrench.JPG
    GermRIFrench.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 41
  • GermRIItai1.JPG
    GermRIItai1.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 34
  • GermRIItai2.JPG
    GermRIItai2.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 37
  • GermRIPole.JPG
    GermRIPole.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 38
  • GermRIYugo.JPG
    GermRIYugo.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Another great presentation of some excellent examples! I'm truly envious, and impressed.

Have you ever encountered any identifiably German stamps of any kind on the modified examples, analogous to the depot stamps on captured rifles?
Best,
Pat

The last 2 frogs could be austrian or czechoslovak, on czechoslovak there are in majority cases on backside acceptance stamps of CS army.b.r.Andy

Thanks Pat & Andy. I do not see any markings on the frogs, so they well could be Austrian. It occurred to me with the Austrians being absorbed into the Reich, and their use of the Steyr M95 rifle, most of the frogs and associated bayonets would have stayed on secondary or Police duty in that country. With the Czech Republic being invaded, and widespread issue of the Vz24 rifle by Germany, the frogs/bayonets saw wide usage as well. SG24(t) examples are relatively common, with original Czech Army issue pieces scarcer because so many of the original bayonets went through some degree of reworking by the Germans. I will amend my post to reference Austria as well...Thanks!

Last edited:
Outstanding Pwcosol. :happy0180: Thank you for posting this information. Pic sticky referenced.

Military Rifle Journal
Back