Third Party Press

1938 k98ss elite

I saw a similar rifle being sold as an (East German Border Guard Rifle) with MG13 modification. I think that is more realistic story than an SS LAH parade rifle.

Even the above story is maybe far fetched.

Hey guys,

The big collector is not the owner of this rifle, though he owns one as well. The SS affiliation was not stated as cold fact but merely suggested for entertainment purposes, so hold your turds. It's not listed online so I can't provide a link.

This one is supposed to have been used in Vietnam by the NVA.

Attachments

• k98nva01.jpg
    k98nva01.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 73
Hope that helps.

Of course, Hambone is beyond help now ;)

Tactifail.jpg

With regard to the Mauser allegedly used by the NVA. That is a B.S. story. The local Viet Cong did in fact use 98k rifles, supplied by the Chinese, who got them from the Soviet Union, who captured them from the Germans. They did not sport a Bull Sh*t MG13 magazine, but were standard 98k type rifles, that exhibited extreme wear to the metal and wood. VietNam after all is extremely damp and V.C. weapons were very poorly maintained.
The N.V.A. regulars normally carried SKS rifles and AK47s [usually Chinese]. Anyone who served there can attest to this as fact.

A girl who doesnt own a pair of shoes , dressed in bed sheets,and living in a grass/mud hut is brandishing a 20K + weapon....what the hell is wrong with that picture.

One thing wrong with that tribal NFA funshow is that she's jumping around hooting and such with her finger on the trigger. If that pup happened to have a hot chamber and magfull she could have an accident that would make her highly unpopular with the tribe. :thumbsup:

I saw a similar rifle being sold as an (East German Border Guard Rifle) with MG13 modification. I think that is more realistic story than an SS LAH parade rifle.

Even the above story is maybe far fetched.

Saw a couple of those too. Indeed I think it's safe to assume that they were not used by the ss for parades, wouldn't be very practical to shoulder anyway. Thanks for your input.

Best regards,
max

With regard to the Mauser allegedly used by the NVA. That is a B.S. story. The local Viet Cong did in fact use 98k rifles, supplied by the Chinese, who got them from the Soviet Union, who captured them from the Germans. They did not sport a Bull Sh*t MG13 magazine, but were standard 98k type rifles, that exhibited extreme wear to the metal and wood. VietNam after all is extremely damp and V.C. weapons were very poorly maintained.
The N.V.A. regulars normally carried SKS rifles and AK47s [usually Chinese]. Anyone who served there can attest to this as fact.

The one in the picture is claimed to be from the Robert Ball estate. According to his bio he was a major in the USAF, stationed at Da Nang and shot down somewhere over Quang Tri on june 10, 1968. He is honored on panel 58W, row 17 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Whether he has anything to do with this rifle is to be seen.

Best regards,
max

My NVA Mauser with hi-cap magazine

Well, maybe not a mauser, but it does have one of those long magazines......JH

Attachments

• AK47 (1).jpg
    AK47 (1).jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 67
For whatever reason some collectors are fascinated by adding MG13 magazines to K98k rifles and labeling them "trench rifles". Supposedly there were Gew98 modified this way in WW1, so people can't stop themself from adding it to a WW2 rifle. To me it makes the most ungainly of weapons to look at and hold. The supposed "VN" bringback is at least 98k lenght with only the magazine added, the first rifle is cut down and ruined to make a shorter rifle.

There were trench magazines for the Gew.98, they were not popular, and they were not used by elite troops generally. Pictures are common, but usually they are in the hands of old-timers, - not LAH type soldiers, and mostly for defensive points. As you say, they make a already cumbersome rifle doubly so.

You sure wouldn't want to storm trenches with one.

Image of one showing them, - note they are not stormtroopers or elite troops. This is a typical picture of them, but POW guards are seen with them too.

For whatever reason some collectors are fascinated by adding MG13 magazines to K98k rifles and labeling them "trench rifles". Supposedly there were Gew98 modified this way in WW1, so people can't stop themself from adding it to a WW2 rifle. To me it makes the most ungainly of weapons to look at and hold. The supposed "VN" bringback is at least 98k lenght with only the magazine added, the first rifle is cut down and ruined to make a shorter rifle.

Attachments

• I.jpg
    I.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 102

I completely agree. I don't know why there is a fascination with converting K98k's to "trench" mag. It ruins half of what is good about the rifle (balance and ease of handling). If someone actually had to carry a K98k in the field with the loaded oversize magazine it would soon become obvious why one would be better to have the standard magazine.

Military Rifle Journal
Back