Third Party Press

1871 Erfurt Mauser question

11mm

I have an 1871 Mauser that has an odd aspect to its serial numbers. The barrel and receiver (Erfurt) are numbered 2281. The buttplate, middle and lower band, screws (the ones that are usually marked), the steel plate under the trigger guard and rear sight slider and base are all marked 2280 or 80, as is the trigger and trigger spring. In the stock channel there is a number 2280. The bolt does not match any of the above, so is outside of my question as it is an obvious replacement. The cleaning rod and the upper band are not numbered.
Now, the 2881 numbers seem OK, except that the 1 in each place looks a bit odd, but I would read it as a 1.
Could this simply be an odd exception in numbering, or could it be an assembly mistake by the arsenal at Erfurt? Can anybody explain how to determine if the stock was made or marked by Erfurt.

Be prepared to post pics of any and all proof marks as that what the experts will want to see....Im not one of them:sorry:

Hard to say without pictures present. Please post some pictures when you get time that will determine what you have.

Pictures

Hard to say without pictures present. Please post some pictures when you get time that will determine what you have.

2.jpg1.jpg2a.jpg4.jpg3.jpg

Here are pictures of the serial numbers that are easy enough to photograph. Also, the stock markings are included. Maybe somebody can determine from them whether or not the wood is from Erfurt.

Try and post more pictures, the acceptance, the dates, the Model designation, - with these it would be worth the effort to do some comparisons. The research on these are not as developed as they are with the Modell98, and we no longer can rely upon Craig Brown for his insight, so this now revolves around comparisons to known rifles.

As for the serialing over-strikes, this is not unusual and it alone is no indicator of rework or humpery...

Try and post more pictures, the acceptance, the dates, the Model designation, - with these it would be worth the effort to do some comparisons. The research on these are not as developed as they are with the Modell98, and we no longer can rely upon Craig Brown for his insight, so this now revolves around comparisons to known rifles.

As for the serialing over-strikes, this is not unusual and it alone is no indicator of rework or humpery...

Here are some pictures.

I don't think the rifle has been humped. I guess my feeling is that this is a factory mistake, and maybe the receiver and barrel that was meant to go with these parts ended up in some other completed unit. I take it that the origin (arsenal) which originated the stock is not know-able at this time but I imagine is it was Erfurt. I don't believe that Storz's book addresses arsenal markings on stocks, if I recall correctly.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 18
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 16
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 15
I do not think it is a humper either... Looking through the database on Erfurt rifles, there are very few to compare this rifle too, however I think the rifle is original. I think the discrepancy with the last digit in the serial is a factory issue and of no relevance to the rifles originality. This sort of thing is common even with the Modell98 rifles, that this is seen on an earlier variation should surprise no one.

This rifle maker is fairly elusive, the database Craig Brown began a little over a year ago has recorded very few of them.

Military Rifle Journal
Back