Third Party Press
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: J.P. Sauer K98k Serials and Data, 1934-1944

1940 J.P Sauer & Son, serial number: 1892T, barrel matches.

She is a Russian capture and is mis-matched but she is in excellent condition. She shoots great too.

Default Questions

I am new to this site and new to MOD 98K so some question may be lame.
    I have recently purchased a RC. I have learned that it is S/147 1937 SN 7721. It appears to be a mix master, currently it is with my gunsmith being looked at.
    I am confused about ammo, when I shop for ammo I see 8mm/57mm muauser and aslo 8mm/57mm .323
    dia. what is the difference?
    when the Germans rebarreled thier rifles did they always stamp the SN on the side of the barrel? is there
    anyway to tell what year the barrel was made? the bore on mine looks real good and matchs SN to the
    reciever.
    The SN on the bolt does not match the reciever is this problem?(well there is an eched SN on the safety.
    I am used to the M1 garand where mix match parts is not a real issue.
    Thanks for any help you can give me
    John

For Paul:

Attached Images Attached Images
    **--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey TA is that a "v?" If it is and the rifle is a 147, 1938, that would be the new high serial.

Not even gunna guess at these stupid letter blocks.

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking "c" block, as much as anything because of the BC which is darn early (compared to the other 4 documented..); the manner in which it is arranged (BC) is the later style though.

Is this an S/147 receiver or just 147? How is the receiver serialed? Is the suffix clearer?

Anyway, thanks TA, much appreciated! Now I have 5 147/38's BC recorded!

Quote Originally Posted by 3371940 View Post
    Hey TA is that a "v?" If it is and the rifle is a 147, 1938, that would be the new high serial.

What about O block?

s/147
    It is e/214 x 3
    and e/214 on all parts less rear site which is e/359

Attached Images Attached Images

From what has been documented, an "o" block wouldn't have the "S" prefix code (S/147), as S&S seems to drop the "S" around the g-i block (latest with S/147 is an early "g" block, next rifles are 2 "i" blocks, one very early, and neither have the "S" prefix, -neither do any rifles after them, however I do think there was some overlap to the change)

The numerous e/214 is also good sign of an “c” block, as an “o” block would usually have some e/37, as that was roughly the transition from e/214 to e/37 acceptance.

I would say the rifle is an "c" block, and that is why I asked if it has an "S" prefix code as we know roughly when S&S dropped the "S" prefix, and it would eliminate "o" and "v" if it had the "S/147” (imo of course)

Anyway, great addition to my files! Early rifles are hard to get BC off of!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Archie View Post
    What about O block?

s/147
    It is e/214 x 3
    and e/214 on all parts less rear site which is e/359

1939 Code 147 K98k Serial # 6291(s)
    (Mfg by JP Sauer und Sohn Gewehrfabrik, Suhl)

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

1939 Code 147 K98k Rifle (134 pic virtual tour)

Hope this helps to add to the database …

Regards,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by SimsonSuhl View Post
    I was thinking "c" block, as much as anything because of the BC which is darn early (compared to the other 4 documented..); the manner in which it is arranged (BC) is the later style though.

Is this an S/147 receiver or just 147? How is the receiver serialed? Is the suffix clearer?

Anyway, thanks TA, much appreciated! Now I have 5 147/38's BC recorded!

OK. Looking at the new pics in post 17 I have to agree that it is a "c" block. That and the fact that it has an s prefix in the code. I was thrown off by the first set of pics.