Third Party Press

J.P. Sauer K98k Serials and Data, 1934-1944

Thanks for the clarification, - regarding rarity, I do not think many things regarding the Kar98k can be called rare, but speaking of barrel coding some makers are far less common than others. In this case 936-dfb (BSW-Gustloff Werke Suhl) barrels are rather uncommon on JP Sauer production but seen 1940-1942. So far 1941 is most common, 1942 next and 1940 the scarcest recorded, but I think this is more an issue with early rifles being less prone to have BC where you can see them (above the wood and owners are reluctant to disassemble) and partial "936" codes are hard to identify unless you can see "936" or the waffenamt e/4. I think 1940 S&S rifles are greatly under reported.

Certainly 1942 are the scarcest of all though, and this is clearly a product of rationalization, - the period when firms were focused on a narrower range of products based upon that firms ability-capacity and the needs of the Army. Gustloff Werke Suhl was re-focused primarily on the MG42, dropping the 98k barrels to focus on MG 42 barrels. (They had moved their 98k production to their Weimar facility in early 1939, only continuing with barrels)

In reality I doubt S&S (Sauer) needed much help with barrels, that was their main part they made, and they had CGH to help (they were no slouch on barrel finishing), and you do not see a great deal of barrel sub-contractor use on S&S assembly.

Posted up the extra/corrected info and picture in my original post. My apologies for the delay. You were right about the questionable e/37 proofs, they were in fact WaA4. Would you say that the ce42 with the dfb barrel is rare or uncommon? If so, it's such a shame that the bore is garbage.

My Sauers

I am new to the K98k Forum and will start posting the data on my 98k's.

1.) J.P. Sauer S/147 1937 49 "o" block
NIM
All matching except safety, bolt sleeve, and cocking piece. All of these are unmarked.
Additionally, the cleaning rod has the 214 WaA, but is numbered "31".

All other markings conform to the descriptions shown on page 49 of Law's book.

2.) J.P. Sauer CE 41 164 "m" block
NIM
All matching except un-numbered/ un-marked cleaning rod.

All other markings conform to the descriptions shown on page 171 of Law's book.

As I just retired this month, I will have plenty of time to post pictures of the above in the very near future.

In the mean time, where can I obtain the "Data Sheets", which are occaisionally refered to on the Forum,
so that I may fill them out.

I have S/147/G #3064f. The rifle matches except for the short cleaning rod, which is #90 and appears to have an Eagle/63 WaA. The bore is very good. The stock is correctly numbered inside and out. The handguard is numbered inside. The only unusual thing about this rifle is the number on the band spring. The full number, 3064, is on the back of the spring, facing the stock instead of on the side facing up.
I will be taking photos for Mike and will post them.
I bought this rifle 6 years ago from David Condon in Middleburg, VA. It is the oldest matching K98k I have seen, personally. I would love to see others.

Ogtree

I purchased a Mauser rifle for $50.00. 1938 S/27 7Kp147 ser.# 7981 all matching has been sportsterized...with jeweled bolt, bishop stock, no rear sights. I am considering putting a Redfield micrometer rear sight on it. It shoots good. I'd appreciate any info on it. Jim Lucas jhumptydumpty999@hotmail.com

Welcome to the forum, - regarding the rifle, the 1938 ERMA, the serial 7981, has it a letter underneath this number? On the right receiver is the eagles over "77" or "280", what style eagles are they? As it is S/27, it should be e/77 and an earlier rifle, up to the "f" block or so.
I assume the 7 Kp 147 is on the barrel? It is an odd barrel code if it is, and would be missing some characters, further it isn't typical for ERMA barrels.

Pictures of these things are best, including any markings on any part that shares the serial number on the receiver (7981), especially the stock if anything remains, but a thorough description will work also.

I purchased a Mauser rifle for $50.00. 1938 S/27 7Kp147 ser.# 7981 all matching has been sportsterized...with jeweled bolt, bishop stock, no rear sights. I am considering putting a Redfield micrometer rear sight on it. It shoots good. I'd appreciate any info on it. Jim Lucas jhumptydumpty999@hotmail.com

Just picked up a neat one from a private collection: S/247/G first variant, serial number 9325. Missing the cleaning rod so if anyone has a 10 incher numbered 25, I am a buyer!!! Very nice original condition and all matching down to the screws with neat early stamps and it is a very nice companion piece to my S/147/K

Just picked up a neat one from a private collection: S/247/G first variant, serial number 9325. Missing the cleaning rod so if anyone has a 10 incher numbered 25, I am a buyer!!! Very nice original condition and all matching down to the screws with neat early stamps and it is a very nice companion piece to my S/147/K

Pictures Please... of both.

Yep: 147 meant and a fat finger ended up with 247. The S/147/K pictures are, I think, in the next volume. Still cleaning the G

Saure k date

I just handled this one. s/147/k serial # 1395 r.f.v. # 1776 on buttplate. matching down to the cleaning rod.. Sorry no barrel code..

So I haven't been a noob on a gun forum in a while but I just obtained a RC Mauser. The receiver, barrel, and stock all have 5544 stamped on them, on top of the receiver is S/147 and 1937. J.P. Sauer & Sohn. The bore is close to perfect. Everything else is Frankensteined. Here's the big question. I have a laminate stock with a 1941 bpr cupped buttplate but the number stamped on the left side of the stock matches the receiver and barrel. I thought laminates came out later. No peened anything, no XXXs anywhere.So would have a German armorer changed out the stock or some Russian and just stamped 5544 on the stock.

mauserfinished1.jpg

Got what was left of the nasty Russian red shellac, at least 1/3 had already come off but tried to keep the old German in it. Didn't want the Mitchell's look.

Its a yugo refurb stock, they force matched the stock.

Don't think it's a Yugo stock, the numbers are parallel to the bore, Yugo stocks numbers are printed at a 90 degree angle to the bore according to my Mauser buddy at another board. Just a Rooskie force match. Bought it as a shooter so no big deal. Will find the proper flat buttface stock for it eventually.

Sheepdog,

You have a very unique, almost lucky, I would say, RC configuration. First, Russian stock numbering runs parallel to the bore, not perpendicular to it; so, you are right on that one (just for the record). You are also correct in thinking that a laminated, cupped buttplate stock is incorrect for a 1937 K98k. What you just happen to have is a JP Sauer stock on your JP Sauer rifle - which, IMHO, is pretty lucky for an RC. Granted, it doesn't belong on your rifle, but on some later dated JPS K98k. If you can get some shots of the barrel channel, someone may be able to help you figure out exactly what year K98k that stock should go on.

You need to understand that RC's are (almost always) total mix-matches. That includes stocks & buttplates, etc. So, it's not that some German armorer put that stock on your rifle, and the Russians numbered it. That stock was on some other rifle, and then put on your rifle, and then numbered.

So I haven't been a noob on a gun forum in a while but I just obtained a RC Mauser. The receiver, barrel, and stock all have 5544 stamped on them, on top of the receiver is S/147 and 1937. J.P. Sauer & Sohn. The bore is close to perfect. Everything else is Frankensteined. Here's the big question. I have a laminate stock with a 1941 bpr cupped buttplate but the number stamped on the left side of the stock matches the receiver and barrel. I thought laminates came out later. No peened anything, no XXXs anywhere.So would have a German armorer changed out the stock or some Russian and just stamped 5544 on the stock.

mauserfinished1.jpg

Got what was left of the nasty Russian red shellac, at least 1/3 had already come off but tried to keep the old German in it. Didn't want the Mitchell's look.

Well my luck seems to be good since here's my new stock.

Mauserwalnutstock.jpg

100_1398.jpg

Mauserwalnutstockcartouche.jpg

A pretty deep WaA214 and a deep army H above it. Can't make out the small Waffenmark on the bottom but I can tell there are numbers on it. Damn deep RC numbers on the left side.

Here's the numbers in the barrel channel of the laminate stock I took off it.

100_1405.jpg

Look like 3 Na 3 39 42 with the serial nunber 3589
Large Waffenmark on the right side that I can't make out with a large H above it an O or 0 in the sling channel on the left side and what appears to be a 6 in the bolt recess. That's all I can find on it. It is a pretty red glue laminate stock.

More questions what's with the copper colored ejector and bolt release? Would this be a Sauer item too? And I read about serial number blocks, I can't tell if mine is 5544c or 5544e. Where can I find the info on serial number blocks. It's a great shooter, I think I'm hooked.

And again I thank the folks here for any knowledge shared to this Mauser beginner. S&Ws I know, Mausers I don't.:thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back